'Glymphatic System' and CSF

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.

Re: 'Glymphatic System' and CSF

Postby MarkW » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:15 pm

Hello Lena-g,
Yes the glymphatic research was done on mice and Putman's work on dogs. Another interesting point is that the images show the glymphatic system joining a artery. My point is simple and I was agreeing with Cheer - please do not make quick conclusions from this research, give time for the research to develop.
MarkW

lena-g wrote:
MarkW wrote:The first point to note on this research is that it was performed on mice, remember mice do not develop MS.
MarkW

Hello everyone! (I read every day, and it’s thanks to Thisisms that I discovered CCSVI)
Allow me to intervene : because
I think Mark W meant that the study "glymphatic" was done on mice, and did not speak Putnam ... if I understood correctly???
Nedergaard's team …. The team made the findings in mice, whose brains are remarkably similar to the human brain.

(Excuse my English, :oops: I'm French)

I find this very interesting study, and I agree with you, Joan:
Just thinking how incredible it is That thesis Researchers can see proof of Their theories, thanks to innovations in technology.

There has to hope that the doctors of different disciplines up their minds finally to cooperate ... And "thanks to innovations in technology!"

And a huge THANK YOU all of you for all information you share ...
Mark Walker - Oxfordshire, England. Registered Pharmacist (UK). 11 years of study around MS.
Mark's CCSVI Report 7-Mar-11:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/8359854/MS-experts-in-Britain-have-to-open-their-minds.html
MarkW
Family Elder

Advertisement

Postby lena-g » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:25 pm

Yes, I agree with you, Mark: wait and see!

However, this study is very very exciting and gets us hope!
lena-g
Getting to Know You...

Postby cheerleader » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:07 pm

New research from the U of R on the glymphatic system. Yes, it is still in mice, but fascinating, nonetheless. And another connection to the importance of jugular venous return while the body is supine, and asleep.

A good night's rest may literally clear the mind. Using mice, researchers showed for the first time that the space between brain cells may increase during sleep, allowing the brain to flush out toxins that build up during waking hours. These results suggest a new role for sleep in health and disease. The study was funded by the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS), part of the NIH.

"Sleep changes the cellular structure of the brain. It appears to be a completely different state," said Maiken Nedergaard, M.D., D.M.Sc., co-director of the Center for Translational Neuromedicine at the University of Rochester Medical Center in New York, and a leader of the study.

For centuries, scientists and philosophers have wondered why people sleep and how it affects the brain. Only recently have scientists shown that sleep is important for storing memories. In this study, Dr. Nedergaard and her colleagues unexpectedly found that sleep may be also be the period when the brain cleanses itself of toxic molecules.

Their results, published in Science, show that during sleep a plumbing system called the glymphatic system may open, letting fluid flow rapidly through the brain. Dr. Nedergaard's lab recently discovered the glymphatic system helps control the flow of cerebrospinal fluid (CSF), a clear liquid surrounding the brain and spinal cord.

"It's as if Dr. Nedergaard and her colleagues have uncovered a network of hidden caves and these exciting results highlight the potential importance of the network in normal brain function," said Roderick Corriveau, Ph.D., a program director at NINDS.

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/ ... 101713.php

more on the BIG picture--sleep, CCSVI and jugular venous return:
http://ccsviinms.blogspot.com/2013/10/s ... .html#more

cheer
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
dx dual jugular vein stenosis (CCSVI) 4/09
http://ccsviinms.blogspot.com
cheerleader
Family Elder

Postby pairOdime » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:37 am

cheer, this fits perfectly with the link on the benefits of REM sleep....the connection to oligodentrocytes & myelin.

chronic-cerebrospinal-venous-insufficiency-ccsvi-f40/topic22977.html

The Glymphatic System, REM sleep, CSF flow, venous return all support the CCSVI concept. Cerebral outflow obstructions disrupt the process....again, is all supports the CCSVI concept.

Concerning the removal of toxins from the brain via the glymphatic system, a dirty brain in one thing, but a dirty mind is something else completely :-)
It's a paradigm shift
pairOdime
Family Elder

Postby cheerleader » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:22 am

pairOdime wrote:cheer, this fits perfectly with the link on the benefits of REM sleep....the connection to oligodentrocytes & myelin.

chronic-cerebrospinal-venous-insufficiency-ccsvi-f40/topic22977.html

The Glymphatic System, REM sleep, CSF flow, venous return all support the CCSVI concept. Cerebral outflow obstructions disrupt the process....again, is all supports the CCSVI concept.

Concerning the removal of toxins from the brain via the glymphatic system, a dirty brain in one thing, but a dirty mind is something else completely :-)

Agreed, pair!!! And the sad fact is, many with MS have sleep problems--and miss out on that deep REM sleep that oxygenates, supports myelin, and cleanses the brain. Could this be why the jugular veins are so essential, and necessary when we are supine? Venoplasty and an opening of his 100% occluded left and 80% occluded right jugular veins created a healing virtuous cycle for Jeff. He sleeps better (no spasms or apnea), he dreams again, he wakes refreshed--and his gray matter has healed on MRI.
....and, at least, his brain is clean :)
cheer
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
dx dual jugular vein stenosis (CCSVI) 4/09
http://ccsviinms.blogspot.com
cheerleader
Family Elder

Previous

Return to Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency (CCSVI)