Inclined Bed Therapy (IBT)

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
dlynn
Family Elder

Re: Inclined Bed Therapy (IBT) How is everyone?

Post by dlynn »

Hi Andrew,
I just raised the bed another inch, now it's finally at 6. It's too soon to tell any difference, but I will let you know.
When could I notice a difference? I was dx 20 yrs. ago, does it matter how many years one has ms?
Thank you for asking how we're all doing.
AndrewKFletcher
Family Elder

Post by AndrewKFletcher »

Great, thanks for deciding to raise bed higher. No it does not matter how long a person has ms, or indeed which category of ms they fall in. What appears to matter is the level of humidity in the home / area. So if someone is drying washing out on radiators or you have lots of house plants that require watering, or your bedroom is on a lower level to your shower/ bathroom you may need to correct the humidity in your home. Living in a river valley area or coastal area may influence the humidity too. You should see a difference within a month or so.
Inclined Bed Therapy (IBT) | http://www.inclinedbedtherapy.com
Sleeping Inclined To Restore and Support Your Health For Free. Fascinating Science, Discovery, History and Medical Research In Circulation And Posture.
AndrewKFletcher
Family Elder

No comments from these videos?
Sleeping Inclined To Restore and Support Your Health For Free. Fascinating Science, Discovery, History and Medical Research In Circulation And Posture.
dlynn
Family Elder

Post by dlynn »

Andrew,
It's been 18 nights that I'm at a 6in. incline, previously at 5in. incline. The first morning, I noticed I didn't wake up to a headache.
Every morning, as soon as I opened my eyes, my head would start pounding. I thought it's just a coincidence, but it's been
2-1/2 weeks and I've not had that headache. I still get headaches but they are usually early evening. I watched two of the videos, very informative, thank you for the links. I still have much pain when I wake up, but I am hopeful that the incline will lessen it over time.
thank you
AndrewKFletcher
Family Elder

Thanks for the update Lynn. This is very interesting how incline increments can make a huge difference. Time and time again people say I have been using IBT and when asked, it turns out that they have either not raised the bed high enough, or have only raised the upper half with a mechanical bed. Others have asked if two pillows would suffice. Clearly from your post we need to find the correct angle for each person and I suspect this will be around 5 degrees, given 18 years of research experience and many interesting reports from people helping with my research.
AndrewKFletcher
Family Elder

IBT lowers central venous pressure and pulmonary artery pres

The Lancet, Volume 319, Issue 8285, Pages 1325 - 1327, 12 June 1982
doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(82)92399-6
TREATMENT OF NOCTURNAL ANGINA WITH 10 deg; REVERSE TRENDELENBURG BED POSITION
Rephael Mohr a b, Aram Smolinsky a b, DanielA. Goor a b
Abstract
The effect of 10° reverse Trendelenburg tilt of the bed was studied in ten patients with refractory nocturnal angina on 2 consecutive nights before aortocoronary bypass surgery. For the control night the bed was placed in the semi-orthopnoeic position, and for the test night it was put in the reverse Trendelenburg position. This position significantly reduced central venous pressure, diastolic pulmonary artery pressure, the number of isosorbide dinitrate tablets taken sublingually, and the number of angina episodes per night. Reverse Trendelenburg tilt of the bed therefore seems effective for relief of nocturnal anginal pain.
pmouse
Family Member

Re: Inclined Bed Therapy (IBT)

Post by pmouse »

Hello to everybody

IBT saved me. Thank you Mr. Fletcher.
I have been using IBT everywhere I go (seaside, hotels, ...).

Yesterday I tried on my bed at hode to put some things bellow matress to lie flat. I could not sleep. I had to go to toilet but something happend. My legs were like concrete and for a minute I could not move them. I immediatly removed and again slepp IBT and everything becomed notmal.

I have PPMS and using IBT for 3 years. I am walking and working for 4 hours.

IBT rules.

Robert
pmouse
Family Member

Post by pmouse »

Sorry for my english - I am from Slovenia.

I would be in wheelchair if I didnt use IBT.

Robert
AndrewKFletcher
Family Elder

Thank you so much for your update Robert. There are many more people with ms out there who know what IBT is doing for them and yet we seldom receive replies? As you have discovered, the only real test is to sleep flat for comparison :) My Birthday today, thanks for cheering me up with your posts. Kind regards Andrew
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

Hi Andrew,
I was wondering what you think of inclined mattress toppers such as these?
http://www.hammacher.com/Product/83235

They're 6" thick at the head of the bed and might be easier to use for some people instead of putting their bed up on jacks. They're a bit pricey though.
AndrewKFletcher
Family Elder

Not much use I am afraid, expensive too. The clue lies in the foam contours to the body, meaning the heavy parts of the body sink into the foam so rendering the angle ineffective, though marginally better than a flat bed.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

AndrewKFletcher wrote:Not much use I am afraid, expensive too. The clue lies in the foam contours to the body, meaning the heavy parts of the body sink into the foam so rendering the angle ineffective, though marginally better than a flat bed.
I don't know how compressible the foam is. You could always contact the website customer support and ask. I do know that for many people raising the bed up on blocks is not an option. For example, I have my box spring directly on the floor and do not use a bed frame. If I blocked up one end of it without support in the middle, I imagine that it would soon sag and eventually break. There are also people with large, heavy beds for which blocks might be impractical. A sloped mattress pad, while expensive, could be a viable option. Lastly, one could search for other retailers of that pad. Many things on that site are over priced.
AndrewKFletcher
Family Elder

The foam advert states it contours to your body, coupled with the comprehensibility of the mattress it will serve little to no advantage. Better to make a wooden plywood wedge to place under the mattress.
dlynn
Family Elder

Post by dlynn »

Hi Andrew,
Since I raised my bed one more inch, I still have no morning headaches and that was June 9th. Six months without waking up to
a headache is a blessing. It didn't help with leg pain but I'm still thankful

p.s. Happy belated Birthday
nibor

Post by nibor »

Good day everyone, my name is Robin and I have been researching IBT for quite sometime now and have increased the head of my bed the past three nights by 3 inches with books to start out with or until my new "RISERS" arrive in the mail. I also have recently added a humidifier by my side of the bed going through-out the night.
I was diagnosed with Primary Progressive Multiple Sclerosis on Aug. 4th 2008 to my surprise since I was a live-action stuntman for a number of years at Universal Studios in Hollywood and then was hired by Disneyland Paris to work at "The Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show" as a stunt-actor and then later as Buffalo Bill himself. I married in Paris, moved back to the states and five years back in my own country, BAM! PPMS! I competed in bodybuilding contests when I was younger and kept my chiseled body though-out my forties unlike today at 59 years of age. I was always strong as a bull, worked out at my gym 4 to 5 times a week, stayed "ripped" and never had ONE single cavity in my life and then my neurologist said... "Robin, we think you experienced a mild stroke and as your results came back from your SPINAL TAP, we believe you have Primary Progressive Multiple Sclerosis." And I was like... "Primary what? What's that?" And my spiritual journey began.
I believe in Inclined Bed Therapy more so than anything else I have tried these past 6 1/2 years. And I have tried quite a few
so-called remedies, therapies and wanna-be cures.
IBT just makes logical sense to me... and after quite a bit of spiritual reflection I understood that the "lack of circulation" in one's body... in my opinion... is the "cause" of disease... in my opinion... PERIOD! two symptoms that have decreased in just three nights? My daily headaches have only appeared back once and my twitching feet or nightly "spasticity" only once in three nights! That might not seem like a big deal to some people but experiencing a headache everyday and then going to bed and laying there with both of your feet twitching all night keeping you awake endurably sleeping well, I don't care how long I test this IBT theory... I believe in it, therefore... "in my book"... it is how I will heal myself of PPMS... because it is already beginning and it's only been three nights and a head elevation of only "three inches"! Over the past few years, I have dropped over 20 or so addictions I really wasn't aware I had and that in turn allowed me to become so grateful for MY PPMS diagnosis because I would have never gone down that healing path in life had the SOURCE not come upon me and said, "DUDE! You gotta consciously take care of yourself!" I realized I was merely in a state of unconscious ignorance until my HEALTH knocked on my door and said, "Brah! Here's your chance! GOOD LUCK!" and I'm like, "You can keep the luck, BRO! I'm GOOD cuz I got it locked in! Namaste!"