appendectomy or tonsillectomy before age 20 increases risk

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.

appendectomy or tonsillectomy before age 20 increases risk

Postby Cece » Mon May 13, 2013 10:38 am

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23648120
CONCLUSIONS:
We found a small but statistically significant and clinically important increased risk for developing multiple sclerosis, in those with tonsillectomy and appendectomy at <= 20 years of age. There was no convincing evidence to support the association of other surgeries and the risk for multiple sclerosis. Well-designed prospective etiological studies, pertaining to the risk for developing multiple sclerosis, ought to be conducted and should include the examination of various surgeries as risk factors.

Could neck veins be damaged by inflammation of the tonsils or the surgical removal of tonsils? Or could the azygous vein or lumbar veins be damaged by the appendectomy? Other surgeries and adenoidectomies had no correlation with MS.
Cece
Family Elder

Re: appendectomy or tonsillectomy before age 20 increases ri

Postby jimmylegs » Mon May 13, 2013 11:01 am

i think this would probably be a correlation thing more than a causality thing. at best i would say those requiring tonsillectomy and appendectomy have screwed up systems that are likely to manifest other screwed-uppedness as time goes on. fwiw i'm not in this demographic having had neither tonsillectomy nor appendectomy.

i'm thinking those with recurrent viral and/or bacterial tonsillitis or an inflamed/infected appendix should be looking at doing some work on their immune system. as opposed to removing tissue that i would tend to regard as early warning systems, and completely failing to address why the problems happened in the first place.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby cheerleader » Mon May 13, 2013 1:11 pm

interesting, Cece. Agree with Jimmy, it's probably more about a correlation and screwed-uppedness of pwMS. But hard to know for sure. The location of both of the surgeries seems suspect--as you mention, the neck and the abdomen.

You could also look at it as a sign of systemic endothelial dysfunction. If the appendix is unable to drain properly, a build up of mucus forms, bacteria become trapped and apendecitis begins. Same process could happen with the tonsils. Same thing in the brain--but there's no brainectomy.
curious study--
cheer
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
dx dual jugular vein stenosis (CCSVI) 4/09
http://ccsviinms.blogspot.com
cheerleader
Family Elder

Postby jimmylegs » Mon May 13, 2013 2:06 pm

i'm so glad you used my new word cheer LOL :D
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby 1eye » Mon May 13, 2013 6:03 pm

cheerleader wrote:...Same thing in the brain--but there's no brainectomy.
curious study--
cheer

Please, no thanks: I'm quite fond of mine. Never had either of those other 2 ectomies.
"Try - Just A Little Bit Harder" - Janis Joplin
CCSVI procedure Albany Aug 2010
'MS' is over - if you want it
Patients sans/without patience
1eye
Family Elder

Postby MarkW » Tue May 14, 2013 1:46 pm

By the time I was 7 I was minus my tonsils and appendix. An interesting correlation with MS but like many things with MS, impossible to know the reason.
MarkW
Mark Walker - Oxfordshire, England. Registered Pharmacist (UK). 11 years of study around MS.
Mark's CCSVI Report 7-Mar-11:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/8359854/MS-experts-in-Britain-have-to-open-their-minds.html
MarkW
Family Elder

Return to Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency (CCSVI)