Could be traffic accidents the reason for MS increase?

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
frodo
Family Elder

Could be traffic accidents the reason for MS increase?

Post by frodo »

This is an article stating that leukoaraiosis (vascular damage to the WM) increases due to traffic accidents. At the same time we know that around the world MS incidence increases for unknown reasons, and that MS has at least an important vascular component.

http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi ... ne.0057255

I think traffic increase around the world could explain the "MS epidemics"
1eye
Family Elder

Re: Could be traffic accidents the reason for MS increase?

Post by 1eye »

Wouldn't surprise me. Are there symptoms of one that don't appear in the other, or are not in a subset? Anybody get "MS", who has never had a car accident? Leukoaraiosis?
This unit of entertainment not brought to you by FREMULON.
Not a doctor.
"I'm still here, how 'bout that? I may have lost my lunchbox, but I'm still here." John Cowan Hartford (December 30, 1937 – June 4, 2001)
MrSuccess
Family Elder

Post by MrSuccess »

There is an abundant amount of research done , that makes that connection .

The brain is a fragile organ. ANY disruption of bloodflow INTO this organ , or OUT OF the brain ..... has consequences.

Mathematics will play a critical role in solving MS. The collection of MS data should be pooled and entered into a super computer like , WATSON.

MrSuccess already knows that .... TRAUMA .... will be the best given answer.

But certainly not the only one.

Why not use this technology ? Perhaps the NMSS should fund this .... :idea:

MrSuccess
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

The pollution from more cars isn't good for us either.
CuriousRobot
Family Elder

Post by CuriousRobot »

Traumatic encephalopathy negatively affects the white matter in the CNS: true.

But is it the same as MS?
Quest56
Family Elder

Post by Quest56 »

frodo wrote:I think traffic increase around the world could explain the "MS epidemics"
I think a more likely correlation would be that the increase in MS has led to an increase in the number of traffic accidents around the world.

Causation is always difficult to prove, and I haven't seen any data. But the inverse of your assumption seems more likely.

--Tracy
CCSVI Procedure 9/16/2009 at Stanford
Stent in left and right IJVs
SPMS
Copaxone
Former Ampyra User
Regular Botox Bladder Injections
300mg d-Biotin / day
MrSuccess
Family Elder

Post by MrSuccess »

Causation is always difficult to prove .... with anything.

I want to make something very , very , clear . Trauma to your head and/or spine WILL NOT result in developing MS, in 94% of people.

It is the SIX [ 6 % ] PERCENT of head & neck trauma victims ... that DO go on to have MS symptoms , that are of interest.

The National percentile for MS .... is well under 1 % of the population.

You do the math on this .

Questor , what you are saying is : people with MS could possibly cause traumatic injury to themselves ..... because of inabilities in thinking , or reaction time , or whatever.

This is a possibility , of course.

Collection of health data will greatly aid , in getting the right answers. :idea:

Who is going to step up and bring it all together ?

MrSuccess
CuriousRobot
Family Elder

Post by CuriousRobot »

Car accidents aren't a one-way street [forgive the pun]; what about people getting hit by other automobiles? Or drunk drivers?

Also, how do we qualify this "trauma"?
dania
Family Elder

Post by dania »

frodo
Family Elder

Post by frodo »

CuriousRobot wrote:Car accidents aren't a one-way street [forgive the pun]; what about people getting hit by other automobiles? Or drunk drivers?

Also, how do we qualify this "trauma"?
There is a very common car accident in which a driver gets hit by its back and the head goes backward violently. Cervical spine is affected and I dont know any other situation in which this happens. It is not even likely that human necks have evolved to stand this kind of injury. I think this fixes quite well in CCSVI and CSF flow theories.
blossom
Family Elder

Post by blossom »

dr. flanagan-his expertee and yrs. of research, knowledge,training and self experience and treating. "with good results". as said, there are those that could write a book--and he did. it would be for the better for all if things were looked at through his his eyes and thinking.

there is no one that is a know all be all. but, he's much closer than most expecially when it comes to the spine, blood flow, csf flow and the cause and effect to the brain and the rest of the body.

my symptoms started after bad physical trauma. with a past of car wrecks, knocked out 2 times and many rough and tumble incidents. not counting what i probably don't count or recall.
Shayk
Family Elder

Post by Shayk »

This document (although dated) is one of the best "summaries" I've come across re: trauma and MS. Thought it may be of interest to some.

Analysis of research into the role of trauma and stress in the etiology of multiple sclerosis 2007

All the best

Sharon
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

From Shayk's link
Evidence that physical trauma can open the blood-brain barrier, exposing the central nervous system to peripheral immune factors, and that trauma can trigger an immune cascade of inflammatory cytokines, shows that it is biologically plausible for trauma (certain types of trauma, at least) to increase the risk of MS. Post mortem studies also suggest that lesions may preferentially form at sites of mechanical stress. However, evidence from clinical studies looking for associations between MS and trauma have not yet produced compelling evidence that trauma is a significant risk factor. Similarly, epidemiological evidence such as gender prevalence data does not support a strong role for trauma as an MS risk factor.
frodo
Family Elder

Post by frodo »

Shayk wrote:This document (although dated) is one of the best "summaries" I've come across re: trauma and MS. Thought it may be of interest to some.

Analysis of research into the role of trauma and stress in the etiology of multiple sclerosis 2007

All the best

Sharon
The problem with that old document is that they analyse trauma in the head and brain areas, not trauma in the neck. The neck connection was never explored by the accelerated cure people.
blossom
Family Elder

Post by blossom »

studies are lacking not only the cervical which is critical, but the total spine connection starting from the pelvic up. which either or- can impact a the proper alignment which would effect blood and csf flow. connecting these dots is for real. it's not something far fetched like connecting a hang nail to poor eyesight.