CCSVI Hydrostatic-Immune Paradigm

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
Cece
Family Elder

CCSVI Hydrostatic-Immune Paradigm

Post by Cece »

http://ccsvitalk.gr/blog/wp-content/upl ... al-1-2.pdf
Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency in Multiple Sclerosis: The
Hydrostatic-Immune Paradigm and the Flow Cytometry as a Diagnostic Tool
Abstract
In recent years, chronic cerebro-spinal venous insufficiency (CCSVI) has been associated with multiple sclerosis
(MS). Balloon angioplasty of the affected veins (internal jugulars, azygos) has been proposed as a treatment
method, with controversial results. The conflict is based on how a primarily immune disease can be affected by a
primarily hydrostatic condition and its reversal. In our paper we briefly review novel paradigms in multiple sclerosis
pathogenesis and propose a mechanism by which CCSVI could theoretically lead to blood brain barrier disruption,
altered neuronal microenvironment, astrocyte and oligodendrocyte loss and demyelination. Altered antigen transfer
to regional lymph nodes, affecting antigen presentation and processing could also contribute, affecting the sensitive
balance between tolerance and immunity. Thus, a combined hydrostatic-immune paradigm of MS emerges, which
may explain the potential role of CCSVI in MS pathogenesis and provide a theoretical framework for future research.
Has this been posted? It was published April 26th.
AMcG
Family Elder

Re: CCSVI Hydrostatic-Immune Paradigm

Post by AMcG »

A good article which brings together Zamboni's ideas about extravasation and hypoperfusion with Trevor Tucker's and Clive Beggs' ideas about standing waves and also adds in a good deal about CSF and ISF flow. ISF flow is flow of fluid which is found around the cells of the brain including axons, veins and arteries. It drains from the brain and eventually flows to a lymph node. I have not seen this idea of a lymphatic contribution before but it does seem at least as likely to be significant as blood or CSF flow. His general observation that the only direct link between the vascular and immune systems is the lymphatic system seems a good one and opens up a lot of possibilities for productive research.

I was also pleased to see he takes for granted that MS is multi-factorial and ignores the vascular v neurological foolishness.

His conclusion is also very useful and quite short:

“MS is considered a primarily autoimmune disease but this paradigm is slowly shifting towards a combined autoimmuneeurodegenerative model [79]. The pathogenetic mechanism is almost
certainly multi-factorial and even though the initial trigger is still unknown, some of the waypoints on the road leading to demyelination and axonal loss have been discovered. It is not clear yet to what extend venous outflow abnormalities contribute to this process. Altered neuronal microenvironment and changes in antigen presentation to regional lymph nodes may provide a theoretical framework combining hydrostatic and immune effects. Lymph nodes are a site of sensitive immune regulation where both immune suppression and immune activation take place [80,81] CCSVI and its treatment may act via tipping the balance towards one or the other side of the scales.”

A really good find Cece.
1eye
Family Elder

Re: CCSVI Hydrostatic-Immune Paradigm

Post by 1eye »

I have heard the word multifactorial used to smooth arguments. But a multifactored problem does not mean all factors have an equal influence. I believe it will be found there is one, only 1 factor without which the disease could not happen at all.
This unit of entertainment not brought to you by FREMULON.
Not a doctor.
"I'm still here, how 'bout that? I may have lost my lunchbox, but I'm still here." John Cowan Hartford (December 30, 1937 – June 4, 2001)