Dr. Zamboni, NASA, and Rocket Science

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
pairOdime
Family Elder

Post by pairOdime »

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/stati ... /1278.html
Science Objectives for Everyone
On Earth, blood flows down from a person’s brain back toward the heart thanks in part to gravity, but very little is known about how this flow happens without gravity’s effects. Many crewmembers report headaches and other neurological symptoms in space, which may be related to the absence of gravity acting on blood flowing through the veins. Drain Brain uses a special neck collar to measure blood flow from the brain, to help researchers understand which physical processes in the body can compensate for the lack of gravity to ensure blood flows properly.

Research Overview
• In the human being, cerebral circulation, including the venous outflow mechanisms from the skull, is one of the major regulators of the brain physiology. Currently, due to the inherent variability and complexity of the cerebral venous system, there is a lack of methodology for reliable and objective quantification of the cerebral venous return. Moreover, since cerebral venous return is greatly influenced by the gravitational gradient when up-right, and by the thoracic respiratory pump when supine, very little is known about the mechanisms ensuring blood outflow from the brain in a condition of microgravity.

• We propose to develop a strain-gauge plethysmography system to investigate human physiology processes, according to an experimental protocol to be applied by the crewmember during the mission on the ISS. The instrumentation will be used on board the ISS both to study cerebral venous return in microgravity conditions and to properly understand the phenomena of physiological adaptation.

• Strain-gauge plethysmography is a non-invasive technique that measures variations in capacitance associated with changes in blood volume, recorded through a stretch sensor encircling the neck. Thus, it is ideal to investigate patients because it is not operator-dependent and non-invasive but it can also to be transported in the space in order to understand the modality of brain venous drainage in a microgravitational setting. Our research proposal deals with both aims.
Principal Investigator(s)

Paolo Zamboni, MD, Centro Malattie Vascolari, Italy
Co-Investigator(s)/Collaborator(s)
Information Pending
Developer(s)
University of Ferrara, , , Italy

Sponsoring Space Agency
National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA)

Sponsoring Organization
Italian Space Agency (ASI)

Research Benefits
Space Exploration, Earth Benefits, Scientific Discovery

ISS Expedition Duration
September 2014 - September 2014

Expeditions Assigned
41/42,43/44

Previous ISS Missions
Information Pending
It's a paradigm shift
Cece
Family Elder

Re: Dr. Zamboni, NASA, and Rocket Science

Post by Cece »

Ok, that's interesting!! I wonder what the results will be. I also like if this helps validate and explore the use of plethysmography. And I like that NASA is taking this seriously.
1eye
Family Elder

Post by 1eye »

The non-scientific non-mouse doctor makes another appearance on the non-medical stage. Don't those neurologists wish he'd just leave them alone? It's getting more and more expensive to pay for good press these days. How can we compete? Oh well,
even though Zamboni and his proteges there have established busy venoplasty programs for MS patients
I guess they still have time for a little propaganda. But haven't they heard? The
tools used to diagnose CCSVI aren’t valid anyway
So maybe that's why those unscientific NASA people and unscientific astronauts have to go so far away to develop better ones?

Oh my gosh. I just realized: maybe what those astronauts have been suffering from all this time has been: dare I say it? CCSVI!
This unit of entertainment not brought to you by FREMULON.
Not a doctor.
"I'm still here, how 'bout that? I may have lost my lunchbox, but I'm still here." John Cowan Hartford (December 30, 1937 – June 4, 2001)
pairOdime
Family Elder

Post by pairOdime »

Many are interested in the affect of zero gravity on cerebral hemodynamics.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24110632
Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 2013;2013:4094-7. doi: 10.1109/EMBC.2013.6610445.

Computational simulation to understand vision changes during prolonged weightlessness.
Rose WC.

Abstract
A mathematical model of whole body and cerebral hemodynamics is a useful tool for investigating visual impairment and intracranial pressure (VIIP), a recently described condition associated with space flight. VIIP involves loss of visual acuity, anatomical changes to the eye, and, usually, elevated cerebrospinal fluid pressure. Loss of visual acuity is a significant threat to astronaut health and performance. It is therefore important to understand the pathogenesis of VIIP. Some of the experimental measurements that could lead to better understanding of the pathophysiology are impossible or infeasible on orbit. A computational implementation of a mathematical model of hypothetical pathophysiological processes is therefore valuable. Such a model is developed, and is used to investigate how changes in vascular compliance or pressure can influence intraocular or intracranial pressure.
It's a paradigm shift
pairOdime
Family Elder

Post by pairOdime »

This one is from 2003 I believe, but it is interesting as well.

http://lib.med.tottori-u.ac.jp/yam/yam4 ... 01-008.pdf
Effects of Microgravity on Cerebral Hemodynamics

Yasuaki Kawai, Mitsuru Doi, Akira Setogawa, Reiko Shimoyama, Keigo Ueda, Yasumasa Asai and Kyoko Tatebayashi
Division of Adaptation Physiology, Department of Functional, Morphological and Regulatory Science,
School of Medicine, Tottori University Faculty of Medicine, Yonago 683-8503 Japan

Total volume of brain tissue, cerebrospinal fluid (CSF), and blood in the cranial vault is usually well regulated at a constant value. However, an increase in volume results in an elevation of intracranial pressure (ICP) because the cranium is rigid and poorly distensible. Therefore, the cephalad fluid shift due to microgravity may increase the ICP. When the ICP rises, it compresses the blood vessels and increases vascular resistance, causing a reduction of cerebral blood flow.
It's a paradigm shift
pairOdime
Family Elder

Post by pairOdime »

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24479265
Aviat Space Environ Med. 2014 Jan;85(1):78-80.
Intraocular/Intracranial pressure mismatch hypothesis for visual impairment syndrome in space.
Zhang LF1, Hargens AR2.

• 1Department of Aerospace Physiology, Fourth Military Medical University, Xi'an, China . zhanglf@fmmu.edu.cn
• 2Department of Aerospace Physiology, Fourth Military Medical University, Xi'an, China .

Abstract
Visual impairment intracranial pressure syndrome (VIIP) is considered a major risk for future human spaceflight. Loss of hydrostatic pressure gradients in vascular and cerebrospinal fluid systems due to the removal of gravity associated with subsequent intracranial and intraocular fluid shifts and the resulting intraocular/intracranial pressure mismatch might be important etiology factors causingVIIP syndrome. Acclimation changes in the ocular and cerebral circulation and the two fluid systems during chronic microgravity exposure and their underlying mechanisms need further elucidation. Relevant findings may help to validate the pressure differential hypothesis for VlIP syndrome and to evaluate whether a gravity based countermeasure is needed.
It's a paradigm shift
1eye
Family Elder

Post by 1eye »

One can surmise about the influence of 1 G's worth of atmospheric pressure, which I assume we try to replicate in pressurizing the air in a space capsule. But a massive change has to be the absence of the upright (waking) gravity which assists venous return to the tune of 1G. This is expressed in acceleration, and its effect on blood's velocity gets greater the further the blood falls (from the top of the head -- on earth...). However, it is responsible, in part, for evacuating blood back to the heart, while it's absence at the same time make the headward journey easier. If one of the effects of zero-gravity is to weaken the heart, it may be that it is lacking in the exercise required to move blood toward the head, which in space would be a lot easier than it was upright, on earth.
This unit of entertainment not brought to you by FREMULON.
Not a doctor.
"I'm still here, how 'bout that? I may have lost my lunchbox, but I'm still here." John Cowan Hartford (December 30, 1937 – June 4, 2001)
pairOdime
Family Elder

Post by pairOdime »

Dr. Zamboni's experiment will be conducted...the Italian Astronaut has arrived at the ISS :-D
It's a paradigm shift
cheerleader
Family Elder

Post by cheerleader »

Yes! Samantha Cristoforetti is there now, thanks to the Russian rocket launch this weekend! This is quite an international undertaking. She's actually tweeting from the Space Station at @AstroSamantha. And the research is happening---lots in the Italian press.
http://www.ilfattonisseno.it/2014/11/mi ... anissetta/
http://www.diregiovani.it/rubriche/scie ... -futura.dg

Here's an update from my blog--where I explain why NASA and space agencies want to understand venous drainage---20% of all returning astronauts have eye problems, potentially related to intracranial hypertension. Looks a lot like MS eye issues of the optic nerve.

http://ccsviinms.blogspot.com/2014/11/n ... antha.html

great news
cheer
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
dx dual jugular vein stenosis (CCSVI) 4/09
http://ccsviinms.blogspot.com
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

I just opened up all 3 links to read. :)
There were two experiments to be done, and one of them was never affected by the rocket explosion, as it entailed measurements being taken with equipment already aboard the ISS. The other experiment was the one affected by the rocket explosion, as it required the plethysmography collar that was on the rocket. Was that able to be replicated & sent up with Ms. Cristoforetti?
cheerleader
Family Elder

Post by cheerleader »

Cece wrote:I just opened up all 3 links to read. :)
There were two experiments to be done, and one of them was never affected by the rocket explosion, as it entailed measurements being taken with equipment already aboard the ISS. The other experiment was the one affected by the rocket explosion, as it required the plethysmography collar that was on the rocket. Was that able to be replicated & sent up with Ms. Cristoforetti?
From what I understand from Dr. Zamboni's tweets and posts, Cece, they got another collar up there and the plethysmography study is on. :-D
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
dx dual jugular vein stenosis (CCSVI) 4/09
http://ccsviinms.blogspot.com
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

cheerleader wrote: From what I understand from Dr. Zamboni's tweets and posts, Cece, they got another collar up there and the plethysmography study is on. :-D
Ok that is fantastic news that I had not heard!!!
Where is the back flips emoticon when I need it! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
ThisIsMA
Family Elder

Italian news article on Zamboni's experiment at space statio

Post by ThisIsMA »

Translated from the Italian by Google Translate from the web page link below:

FYI according to Wikipedia, Werner Von Braun is widely credited with being one of the fathers of rocket science and helped put the first men on the moon.

http://www.ilrestodelcarlino.it/ferrara ... 1.448800#1
The 'mission' spatial Zamboni: "Ok the first test with Samantha Cristoforetti"

Ground ultrasound astronaut: "Innovation for medicine." The data will be processed by the physics department of the University of Ferrara

Stefano Lolli

Ferrara, December 1, 2014 - "FOR A COUPLE of hours I felt Werner Von Braun, although I could not order the astronauts to point toward the Moon." Paolo Zamboni was featured on Friday, an extraordinary scientific experiment. It 'got underway in collaboration with the space mission involving the Italian Samantha Cristoforetti.

"Pending the ships in orbit 'plestimografo' made by the Department of Physics of the University (the first was destroyed in the explosion of the rocket Atlantis a few weeks ago, ed), we planned an experiment anyway and unique: Samantha was subjected to a Doppler ultrasound, controlled remotely by our staff. She in space, we in the center of Tuscany accredited by NASA. "

The 'telemedicine' of the future.

"For the distance from Earth and the conditions in which it was made, it was definitely an important experiment and exciting, not only for the opportunity to relate in real time with our astronaut, but also because the data and images Samantha sent us from the space station, will be made through a calculation software developed in this case by the Physics Department of our university. A system that by traditional ultrasound images, extrapolate parameters not yet used in medicine. "

There is a lot of Ferrara, in this space mission.

"Much has been made of the equipment that will soon turn into space, after the bloody 'megabotto' (Zamboni laughs); actually the Brain Drain project is wider, and fully engages our university. "

She was selected by NASA as 'principal investigator', or as scientific advisor of the project.

"And 'an evolution of my studies on CCSVI and relationships with multiple sclerosis; is investigated blood flow in microgravity. The US space agency asked to investigate the consequences for astronauts, the hypothesis is that the cerebral circulation is slow as cerebrospinal venous insufficiency in patients. "

In this case there have been disputes with other scientists.

I Have Not. I participated to ten conference cardiofisiologi Americans, I have studded questions. When I convinced them of the goodness of my hypotheses, have voted in favor of this trial. "

How did the collaboration with Samantha Cristoforetti?

"In these eighteen months, I had access to the European Space Centre in Cologne, to develop methods of training. Somehow, a piece of myself now with her in the Columbus module in orbit above the Earth. "

During the experiment you have got to talk?

"Sure. And if during the official we related in English, as required by the protocol of NASA, then we exchanged information and jokes in Italian, when the end of the test we did a round of applause seemed even a little 'touched'.

No doubt about it, will invite her to Ferrara will end as soon as the mission: the bottom is already a 'testimonial' of our university.

"Much more, I think. Although not up to me to attribute academic licenses. I can anticipate, however, that in the mid mission, part of an initiative to Sala Estense, we will try to connect with her through NASA, or conversing via Twitter, to make her feel how close we are to the extraordinary work being done. "

Stefano Lolli
DX 6-09 RRMS, now SPMS
ThisIsMA
Family Elder

Post by ThisIsMA »

And here is the space station astronaut's description of the ultrasound experiment on the space station:

https://plus.google.com/+SamanthaCristo ... 4DkPH1PCem
Samantha Cristoforetti

Shared publicly - Nov 29, 2014
#SamLogbook

Logbook: L+5

Yesterday Terry and I had one more day (I assume the last one) with a lighter work schedule that included time for orientation and for handover with Butch. Still, I got to do a lot of different activities both on the payload side (that’s a fancy name for science) and on the systems side (that’s another fancy name for maintenance work on the Space Station itself).

On the science side, I performed an ultrasound session for the Italian Space Agency experiment Drain Brain. The specific hardware of this experiment was lost on the Orbital mishap, but a replacement hardware will be on its way soon on the SpX-5 cargo mission. In the meantime, we could get the science started with the standard ultrasound equipment of the Space Station.

Of course, I’m not able to do an ultrasound on my own: a private audio channel was set up with the Principal Investigator on the ground, who provided remote guidance based on real-time data from the ultrasound machine. He could also see a live video downlink of me performing the operations. Things went pretty smoothly, especially thanks to the fact that in the morning I had assisted Butch in performing his ultrasound (a more complex one, requiring two people) for the experiment Cardio-Ox. Butch had introduced me to a great trick of space ultrasound: no need to use a messy gel on the ultrasound probe, you can just use water!
DX 6-09 RRMS, now SPMS
MrSuccess
Family Elder

Post by MrSuccess »

what great news. I am very pleased to read about Dr.Zamboni's continued efforts to
advance his CCSVI theory. My support for his scientific discovery is still 100%.

Involving NASA experiments in examining CCSVI ... is a lofty goal. :lol:

But let us keep in mind that experiments conducted by NASA are numerous. They conduct
a wide variety of ideas submitted to be conducted in a weightless environment.

The CCSVI neck collar experiment is not the sole reason for the mission.

I await the test results , with great anticipation. And hope.

MrSuccess