Sleep restriction impairs blood-brain barrier function

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
Cece
Family Elder

Sleep restriction impairs blood-brain barrier function

Post by Cece »

J Neurosci. 2014 Oct 29;34(44):14697-706. doi: 10.1523/JNEUROSCI.2111-14.2014.

Sleep restriction impairs blood-brain barrier function.

He J1, Hsuchou H1, He Y1, Kastin AJ1, Wang Y1, Pan W2.
n
Abstract
The blood-brain barrier (BBB) is a large regulatory and exchange interface between the brain and peripheral circulation. We propose that changes of the BBB contribute to many pathophysiological processes in the brain of subjects with chronic sleep restriction (CSR). To achieve CSR that mimics a common pattern of human sleep loss, we quantified a new procedure of sleep disruption in mice by a week of consecutive sleep recording. We then tested the hypothesis that CSR compromises microvascular function. CSR not only diminished endothelial and inducible nitric oxide synthase, endothelin1, and glucose transporter expression in cerebral microvessels of the BBB, but it also decreased 2-deoxy-glucose uptake by the brain. The expression of several tight junction proteins also was decreased, whereas the level of cyclooxygenase-2 increased. This coincided with an increase of paracellular permeability of the BBB to the small tracers sodium fluorescein and biotin. CSR for 6 d was sufficient to impair BBB structure and function, although the increase of paracellular permeability returned to baseline after 24 h of recovery sleep. This merits attention not only in neuroscience research but also in public health policy and clinical practice.
Mice research. Still interesting. Getting poor sleep worsened the glucose uptake of the brain and made the blood-brain barrier more permeable among other effects.

Some of us have reported improvements in sleep and dreaming after CCSVI treatment.
1eye
Family Elder

Re: Sleep restriction impairs blood-brain barrier function

Post by 1eye »

Both iNOS and endothelin-1 were decreased. In MS they are too high. But I think unless you account for the timing in relation to a normal sleep time for that animal, your numbers are suspect, in a study of chronic sleep restriction. You would either have to do that, or show how the biochemistry is independent of circadian influence.

But the BBB permeability is a valid concern. In this circumstance, as with the glymphatic cleaning that we have seen in sleeping mice, it is more valid than some other animal testing, because they sleep lying down. The difference besides size and species, is they are never upright.

Sounds like some of the sleep-time waste removal keeps the BBB healthy.

Again, there may be a circadian nature to these chemicals: I always feel much worse at night, leading me to think some of my disease might have a circadian component.

Sounds like these folks ought to get together with the Rochester glymph people, and compare fluorescent mice or something.
This unit of entertainment not brought to you by FREMULON.
Not a doctor.
"I'm still here, how 'bout that? I may have lost my lunchbox, but I'm still here." John Cowan Hartford (December 30, 1937 – June 4, 2001)
cheerleader
Family Elder

Re: Sleep restriction impairs blood-brain barrier function

Post by cheerleader »

1eye wrote:
Sounds like these folks ought to get together with the Rochester glymph people, and compare fluorescent mice or something.
Bingo!! :geek:

cheer
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
dx dual jugular vein stenosis (CCSVI) 4/09
http://ccsviinms.blogspot.com