Propose for TED talk

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
sbr487
Family Elder

Propose for TED talk

Post by sbr487 »

Folks,

I am sure many of you are aware of TED talk. If some of you have not, I do suggest you listening to some of the topics on Biology, Health, Brain etc. The insight TED provides is just incredible. The other day, I was listening to this speaker who was explaining why sleep is essential ( and some of the findings were simply an eye opener for me. The talk by Dr. Craig Venter, Dr. Ramachandran etc. are some of the gems.

Anyway, the reason I am posting is to check if it would be worth proposing any of our CCSVI pioneers to TED talk conference.

If so, here is the link that gives additional details - http://www.ted.com/about/conferences/speaking-at-ted#
A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it
- Max Planck
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Propose for TED talk

Post by NHE »

sbr487 wrote:If so, here is the link that gives additional details - http://www.ted.com/about/conferences/speaking-at-ted#
That's a great talk. Thanks for sharing.
ThisIsMA
Family Elder

Re: Importance of sleep for brain health TED talk

Post by ThisIsMA »

Thanks! That was a really interesting TED Talk! It has renewed my commitment to getting a good night's sleep (despite the fact that I am writing this post late at night local time (lol)!

What struck me about the TED talk is how the brain's waste products are removed from the brain via a paraventricular flow of ceribro-spinal fluid, and many MS Lesions are also typically paraventricular! So is there a connection? Could stagnation of waste products in the brain due to IJV stenoses cause or contribute to the development of demyelinating brain lesions?

Also while watching the TED Talk I wondered if "slowed brain perfusion" is the same thing as slowed removal of waste products from the brain (slowed cerebral spinal fluid in the brain?). Or if it is a measurement of slowed blood flowing within the blood vessels of the brain.

I think people with MS often are found to have slowed brain perfusion. At least I did on my MRI.

Also I wonder if the tendency to feel fatigued is our brain trying to tell us that it needs more sleep to deal with the slowed perfusion.

I am not a scientist or medical professional, I am just questioning and guessing here.

M.A.
DX 6-09 RRMS, now SPMS
sbr487
Family Elder

Re: Importance of sleep for brain health TED talk

Post by sbr487 »

ThisIsMA wrote:Thanks! That was a really interesting TED Talk! It has renewed my commitment to getting a good night's sleep (despite the fact that I am writing this post late at night local time (lol)!

What struck me about the TED talk is how the brain's waste products are removed from the brain via a paraventricular flow of ceribro-spinal fluid, and many MS Lesions are also typically paraventricular! So is there a connection? Could stagnation of waste products in the brain due to IJV stenoses cause or contribute to the development of demyelinating brain lesions?

Also while watching the TED Talk I wondered if "slowed brain perfusion" is the same thing as slowed removal of waste products from the brain (slowed cerebral spinal fluid in the brain?). Or if it is a measurement of slowed blood flowing within the blood vessels of the brain.

I think people with MS often are found to have slowed brain perfusion. At least I did on my MRI.

Also I wonder if the tendency to feel fatigued is our brain trying to tell us that it needs more sleep to deal with the slowed perfusion.

I am not a scientist or medical professional, I am just questioning and guessing here.

M.A.
Dear MA,

Note that, I posted that specific talk just as a sample to let members here know the quality of TED talks.
I doubt if that has anything to do specifically with MS itself.

Interestingly, I do hangout quite a lot on TED site and could not find anything on MS.
And that is when I thought it would be a good idea to propose one of our CCSVI pioneers for TED talk.
Note that a lot of TED talk are related to totally new avenue of research and new ideas here are more acceptable compared to what we have seen with CCSVI ...
A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it
- Max Planck
cheerleader
Family Elder

Post by cheerleader »

H sbr-
Dr. Paolo Zamboni did an Italian TED talk as part of TEDx Padova:

We'll get there...:)

Interestingly enough, the TED talk you've linked from U of R researcher, Jeff Iliff, actually is linked to MS research and the venous system/CCSVI.
Here's a blog post I wrote up about this research in '13. The jugular veins are employed when we lie down, and are part of that "glymphatic" system--in fact, the ISNVD is looking specifically at this connection.
The International Society for Neurovascular Disease (ISNVD) will be meeting for their 4th Annual Scientific Conference. Dr. Leonard Prouty from LSU will be making a presentation on the use of biomarkers to trace the glymphatic system. Dr. Roy O. Weller from the University of Southampton, UK will be presenting on how the lymphatic system can go wrong, and Professor Clive Beggs, from the University of Bradford, UK will be discussing the role of cerebral hemodynamics and diseases of neurodegeneration.

http://ccsviinms.blogspot.com/2013/10/s ... brain.html

Dr. Terry Wahls had the best TED talk on MS---until TED red flagged it because it fell outside TED's curatorial guidelines, because it is "health advice based on a personal narrative." But it's still pretty great.

cheer
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
dx dual jugular vein stenosis (CCSVI) 4/09
http://ccsviinms.blogspot.com
sbr487
Family Elder

Post by sbr487 »

Joan,

Thanks a lot. Somehow, I haven't seen any MS specific article in TED and hence my original post.

Regards,
- Max Planck
cheerleader
Family Elder

Post by cheerleader »

Sure, sbr.
Hope we have more coming in the future!
The research is ongoing....
here's an update from the Veith conference featuring my vote for a US TED talk on CCSVI, Dr. Michael Dake.

cheer/Joan
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
dx dual jugular vein stenosis (CCSVI) 4/09
http://ccsviinms.blogspot.com
AMcG
Family Elder

Post by AMcG »

Thank you for the link to Zamboni's talk Joan. I would really like to see Zamboni do a TED Talk so I followed it. But of course it is in Italian! So I could not understand it.

Still the title made me smile.

"Sognare, osare, e rendere possibile" 

Only an Italian could make CCSVI sound romantic.

Return to “Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency (CCSVI)”