Flexor spasms

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
Terry
Family Elder

Post by Terry »

Jimmy! Jiiiiimmmmmeeeeeeeeee?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
mrhodes40
Family Elder

Post by mrhodes40 »

It certainly was NOT my intention to drive JL away, she offers a lot of wonderful information to everyone on this board.

I said I think mg is important and appreciate her advice but maybe we should have started a new thread elsewhere for flexor spasms/mg...it is worth discussing. I agree it is an important mineral to check if you have spasms. You can even "overdose" people with it in a medical setting-where levels are monimtored- to give people pharmaceutical type muscle relaxation.

I started this thread to bring to light for people the need to manage flexor spasms the week you go to surgery. It is not practical to have people grab magnesium a week before surgery and start trying to manage that symptom that way at that late time, particularly if they have a complication of surgery and need to get the spams under control today, now.

I am puzzled that she said bye and seems to have left the board altogether...it seems an overreaction to what I thought was a resonable request to keep on topic, though it was not as well worded as it may have been.

However I apologise for my abrupt manner and wish she would come on back. Everyone has benefitted from her generous efforts to assess and help us with our collective mineral levels.
I am sorry JL I did not intend to act as if the information was unimportant, I just felt protective of what I was trying to accomplish with the thread. I apologise. :oops: marie
I'm not offering medical advice, I am just a patient too! Talk to your doctor about what is best for you...
http://www.thisisms.com/ftopic-7318-0.html This is my regimen thread
http://www.ccsvibook.com Read my book published by McFarland Health topics
peekaboo
Family Elder

Post by peekaboo »

this is a sincere aaawwwhhh... personlly i did not take marie's comment as a slight to JL...JL you are a positive force on TIMS. When we become attached to certain therapies it is easily to become protective with ones own insites whether or not it is the appropriate time to disclose ones knowledge.
peekaboo
Family Elder

Post by peekaboo »

back to spasms i am fortunate that i didn't have severe spasms during the op etc.
mrhodes40
Family Elder

Post by mrhodes40 »

have you had them after the surgery? did you have them before?
I'm not offering medical advice, I am just a patient too! Talk to your doctor about what is best for you...
skydog
Family Elder

Post by skydog »

Glad were back on track here. Q's I have are this... Spasm or reflex, if you touch my knee or feet it produces a instant reflex action. Tap my knee and watch out because the reaction is quick and strong. One of my first neurologists did a reflex test in which I just about kicked his little tomahawk across the room. I said good reflexes. He looked over his glasses and said not good. Now the response is even greater. Not good... Spasm ? Now when I stretch before rising in the morning my leg will do a uncontrolled rapid jerking until I put pressure it. Spasm ? At 0300 hrs I cramp up, Ham string rock hard and I curl into the fetal position until it subsides. Spasm ? I clobber my poor sleeping spouse in my sleep with rapid flailing arms. Spasm or reflex. Not sure which is which or a combo of both. I think the Dr. will have to restrain me even though I have been getting pretty good stopping them before they start. Peace Mark
Plant a BIG Garden Live in the Moment
Loobie
Family Elder

Post by Loobie »

I get that too now, and it's a recent addition to my bag o fun. When I get up from a seated position that I've been in for longer than ten minutes, I have to get up and stand there until my legs quit jerking back and forth. Sometimes it's even slightly delayed, like while I'm standing still trying to pee. That's real fun when you're legs start jerking as you're peeing :D . It has coincided with much increased pain around my knees, so I'm thinking it's spasticity and I'm going today to fill my first baclofen Rx just to see if it works. First steps of the morning are so bad I have to be really careful that I don't hyperextend my knee.
skydog
Family Elder

Post by skydog »

My hyperextion of the left leg doesn't start until after I walk a bit. Then I stiffen up as the day progresses. Mornings are best. I stretch first thing and trough the day. Helps allot. Cheers Mark
Plant a BIG Garden Live in the Moment
peekaboo
Family Elder

Post by peekaboo »

marie wrote:

have you had them after the surgery? did you have them before?
I used to do jack knifes in the middle of the night...rude awakening..but that stopped early on in my ms story. Now before and after op i have hyperextension ...stiff as a board...ms hug clonus once in a while...sometimes knees pull up towards my chest...I told my PT that i dont have conflit issues...just my muscles do :?

I am paying special attention to my spasticity hoping that my ms hug will reduce its grip since the azygos vein is right there.....
mrhodes40
Family Elder

Post by mrhodes40 »

Spasticity evolves as we progress. I also do the stand up and look casual for a minute while the stiffness wears off thing, and the nighttime as I transition from sleep to wake spasm thing which is pull up marching type spasms but I also do the straight out stiff as a board spasms too, those are evolvoing into my spasm life now, they seem to be progressed spasms. I have less spasms just resting in a chair anymore than i used to. Studies show stretching daily helps spasms quite a bit but I do not know how much of that can be done after surgery considering how you are; I sure could not I had the tummy complication, but maybe others could Do some. you could do it before surgery then hope the relaxation lasted somewhat.

Noxious stimuli will cause some spasm in some people, cold hurting things on my legs fires them off, the cold surgical wash on my lower abdomen made my legs fire up big time...they tied my legs down so I could not trash the sterile field later, but the imnute they gave me the anesthesia they stopped doing that . The whole point of anesthesia is that it makes your muscles relax.

These are a result of nerve damage, I do not know how much can resolve, I do not see these as being demyelination, but I can hope to be wrong... it'd be good to find out that they do go away. lets' hope!