What causes stenosis?

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
mrhodes40
Family Elder

Post by mrhodes40 »

Vascular malformations are from embryological defective vessels involved in the later stages of embriogenesis. CVM can develop anywhere in the vascular system as a birth defect. The vascular malformation is one of the CVMS which affects mainly the venous system. There is much we do not know, and we do not know how much we do not know.

Two classifications of venous malformations:
Extratruncular- this is formed by embryonic tissue remnant which carries a risk of growth, because it is mesynchymal. When stimulated by hormones, pregnancy, etc, it can reactivate and grow.

Truncular VM- this is formed as part of the later stage of embryonic development. This form does not have mesencymal cell characteristics. Truncular lesions present as a fetal remnant- such as sciatic veins or superior vena cava malformations
From the finalized notes, Dr Lee's comments.

He is looking at it as a congenital issue it seems to me. There was also the person presenting the genetics.

However I have said before that to me it seems that a person could have ANYTHING be at cause, if you were in a car accident at 16 and your neck got crushed and they repaired it but you had one jug severely pinched/ scarred, might that person get MS at 50? Seems to me that this pathology/model would say that they would.
I'm not offering medical advice, I am just a patient too! Talk to your doctor about what is best for you...
http://www.thisisms.com/ftopic-7318-0.html This is my regimen thread
http://www.ccsvibook.com Read my book published by McFarland Health topics
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

q: are all stenoses vascular malformations, and are all vascular malformations stenoses?

one thing that looks like a possibility on my dx mri at least, is a cervical spinal stenosis ('ratty neck' per neuro)... but the notes specifically say the neural foramen look fine.
cheerleader
Family Elder

Post by cheerleader »

Welp....I thought it was time to bring this thread back up, because we've learned some more in the months since we started on this journey. It's no longer just supposition. Jimmy, it could very well be a problem in your cervical neck...

Because the real question is not what causes stenosis, but what is blocking the path to the heart and allowing for reflux of blood back into the brain from the jugulars.

Here's what the docs have seen so far-
truncular venous malformations- Zamboni
arachnoid cyst- Dake
jugular pinched by carotid artery- Haacke and Schelling
valve problems
tight neck space

what have I missed? Looks like there are many ways to end up with reflux and MS, as unique as the individual.
cheer
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
dx dual jugular vein stenosis (CCSVI) 4/09
http://ccsviinms.blogspot.com
radeck
Family Elder

Post by radeck »

cheerleader wrote: what have I missed?
Maybe two types. While some malformations (twists, blockages by carotid arteries or vertebrae) seem more clearly due to genetic defects or at least congenital whereas others may have to do more with things that happened AFTER birth.

Low-neck narrowings seem to be at the area of the intersection of jugular vein and sternocleidomastoid (SCM) muscle. I'm not sure they should be added to your list, since these aren't (irreversible) stenosis.

Another type of probably non-congenital narrowing might happen in some people (according to Dake) around lymph glands that often swell during mononucleosis outbreaks, caused by the Epstein-Barr virus...
Last edited by radeck on Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
radeck
Family Elder

Post by radeck »

Oh yeah, and venous malformations due to neck injuries...
magoo
Family Elder

Post by magoo »

In my case Dr. Dake found cyanotic lesions involving the jugular veins bilaterlly at the point just below the jugular bulb as it exits the skull. Is this the same as stenosis?
Rhonda~
Treated by Dake 10/19/09, McGuckin 4/25/11 and 3/9/12- blockages in both IJVs, azy, L-iliac, L-renal veins. CCSVI changed my life and disease.
mrhodes40
Family Elder

Post by mrhodes40 »

stenosis means narrowing

cyanotic means blue because there is little oxygen

lesion means really any kind of a abnormal tissue may be diseases or trauma or injury or some type. A "stenosis" can be a "lesion" too. These words are not specific but sort of descriptive.

I think it highlights the idea that we have often mentioned here which is that these are probably any manner of thing that blocks blood flow... as long as the blockage exists in these specific veins.
I'm not offering medical advice, I am just a patient too! Talk to your doctor about what is best for you...
http://www.thisisms.com/ftopic-7318-0.html This is my regimen thread
http://www.ccsvibook.com Read my book published by McFarland Health topics

Return to “Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency (CCSVI)”