Thyroid veins

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
shye
Family Elder

Post by shye »

Johnson-
get your dr to measure your T3 and T4--are often be more helpful re thyroid probs than TSH measurement.
Johnson
Family Elder

Post by Johnson »

shye wrote:Johnson-
get your dr to measure your T3 and T4--are often be more helpful re thyroid probs than TSH measurement.
Hi, shye, Thanks for that. Dr.s are reluctant to test for T4 here because it apparently "attracts audits". At least, that is what my wife was told when she asked for it. I am having trouble dealing with the establishment right now, as my brain function seems to be getting worse by the week. I am in Poland in less than three weeks, and am just trying to hold it together til then. I am hoping for better cognition once with some blood flow, and will be better able to pursue things. I think too, I would have just been prescribed medication if T3, T4 were off, and I feel that would have been worthless until blood flow is resolved. I had hoped to convince that any thyroid problems were venous, and to get treatment here based on that, but alas...
My name is not really Johnson. MSed up since 1993
caraboo
Family Member

thyroid

Post by caraboo »

Hi Johnstone,

My first blood test for my thyroid were not too bad, but my gp works on the symptoms as well. She presc a low dose of levothyroxin, but did bloods again and they came back worse than the first lot. she increased meds and what a difference. I have a underactive thyroid, and between ms and this, felt like i had not slept getting up in morning. What im saying is sometimes if you have the symptoms, they might treat it and keep a eye on you.

Take care
Caraboo
cheerleader
Family Elder

Re: Thyroid

Post by cheerleader »

silverbirch wrote:

Cheerleader can you let me know what paper Dr Z's on thyroid ?
Kindest regards
Silverbirch

Sorry, silverbirch...I LOVE that tree) missed your question. Here's the paper where Dr. Z refers to collateral circulation and the thyroid veins-
link to paper
cheer
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
dx dual jugular vein stenosis (CCSVI) 4/09
http://ccsviinms.blogspot.com
eveable
Family Member

Post by eveable »

Yes silverbirch. I was dx with MS in 2002. At that time my doctor tested my TSH and I believe it was normal. I just went in for a blood test to measur T4. It is interesting that all this may be caused by the stenosis in my internal jugulars that the CCSVI testing implies are there.

Eve
Villagemaid
Family Elder

Post by Villagemaid »

WOW 8O

Totally interested in this.

I had my ultrasound doppler done a couple of weeks ago at False Creek Surgical Centre (fabulous place) and they found two nodules on either side of my thyroid. One is 2.2 x 1.5 cm and the other is 1.03 x 1.24. these lesions are "solid" and in the "lower poles of both lobes".

I found this extremely interesting as I have been asking my doctor to check out my thyroid for MONTHS. We have done a few blood tests but everything comes back "normal"....not sure if that's high-normal, low-normal, or normal-normal.

Now, after the ultrasound that I paid for, I am being referred for a biopsy on them (covered by medical health care).

I also have had one relapse (three years ago) that was SO like a stroke. one side left paralyzed and the other numb for months. I did however, recover "fully" from it after five or so months.

Interesting.......very very interesting.....
35 (f) dx'd since July 2000 RRMS
Treated in Bulgaria on September 8 2010
80 percent narrowed RJV and 90 percent narrowed Azygos
whyRwehere
Family Elder

Post by whyRwehere »

VillageM,
When are you going for your biopsy? Will they try to remove these nodules? I hope you will keep us updated...everyone's problem is so unique...
Why
belsadie
Family Elder

Post by belsadie »

I,too, have hypothyroidism, along with SPMS,,,, was put on synthroid 100mcg per day. This has brought the thyroid levels to within normal range. But, also have fibrocystic breasts and have had ovarian cysts. Please explain the connection here. Thanks..I'm a little confused...so what else is new !!
Villagemaid
Family Elder

Post by Villagemaid »

Whyrwe......

I am getting the biopsy within the next 3-4 weeks at the hospital. Once that is done then I guess "they" will decide if they need to be taken out - which I'm sure they will as I have trouble with shortness of breath and swallowing (choking).

Will keep you all posted!
silverbirch
Family Elder

Thyroid screening ccsvi or other

Post by silverbirch »

[quote="Villagemaid"]WOW 8O

Totally interested in this.

I had my ultrasound doppler done a couple of weeks ago at False Creek Surgical Centre (fabulous place) and they found two nodules on either side of my thyroid. One is 2.2 x 1.5 cm and the other is 1.03 x 1.24. these lesions are "solid" and in the "lower poles of both lobes".

[size=18]Silver asks Q Was this CCSVI screening or other?[/size]

I found this extremely interesting as I have been asking my doctor to check out my thyroid for MONTHS. We have done a few blood tests but everything comes back "normal"....not sure if that's high-normal, low-normal, or normal-normal.

[b]Silverbirch wrote -my last bloods TSH 5.59 High my recent 4.92 (Range uk is 0.27-4.20) so a little high . Now I dont expect GP to follow up So im now going to source thyroid screening out privately - Village maid can you let me know what type of screening you had Thyroid or CCSVI[/b]

Now, after the ultrasound that I paid for, I am being referred for a biopsy on them (covered by medical health care).

I also have had one relapse (three years ago) that was SO like a stroke. one side left paralyzed and the other numb for months. I did however, recover "fully" from it after five or so months.

I agree this thread is interesting take care xxxxx silver
Last edited by silverbirch on Tue May 18, 2010 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Villagemaid
Family Elder

Post by Villagemaid »

Hi Silver!

yes, this was ccsvi screening at False Creek. They found flattening of both jugular veins with the MRV imaging.

They were doing the ultrasound doppler to check venous blood flow in jugulars (which appeared normal) and that's when he found the nodules. He put that in the report and told me to have a follow up with my GP.

I am unsure what my "levels" were for the blood tests, but my gp said they were "normal".

Go to your GP and request an ultrasound of your thyroid. My gp couldn't feel my nodules upon pysical examination and that's why I was being "put off" and told to wait and we'll check the levels again in two six months time.

Just say that you want to be proactive. Blood tests. Ultrasound.

I hope you get the answers you are looking for. Let me know!

Take care!

-VM-
silverbirch
Family Elder

Post by silverbirch »

belsadie wrote:I,too, have hypothyroidism, along with SPMS,,,, was put on synthroid 100mcg per day. This has brought the thyroid levels to within normal range. But, also have fibrocystic breasts and have had ovarian cysts. Please explain the connection here. Thanks..I'm a little confused...so what else is new !!
Ill try to explain what I believe thread to be - thyroid
Forums please correct me even PM and Ill change this

Belsadie - Dr Z has documented in his report a connection to Thyroid Veins in screening CCSVI and some are finding blockages /nodules in this area. This is just a little part of Dr Z's theory.
.Look on this thread for Dr Z's paper posted by Cheerleader

Some MSERS have Thyroid problems but also posted back up the chain some drugs that are used to help MS are not so good for Thyroids therefore a connection why some DMD are good for some and not for others.

Also look markc kamakazie reply his view on Thyroid diseases again posted at the beginning of this thread.

Some Cysts are hormonal and thyroids control hormones levels thats my understanding.

I just think MS and what was thought to be the only cause to ms has now been thrown up in the air , and were all looking and back tracking to look at links to our cond't factoring in CCSVI.
Last edited by silverbirch on Tue May 18, 2010 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
silverbirch
Family Elder

Post by silverbirch »

[quote="Villagemaid"]
Go to your GP and request an ultrasound of your thyroid. My gp couldn't feel my nodules upon pysical examination and that's why I was being "put off" and told to wait and we'll check the levels again in two six months time.

Very interesting your bloods never showed up anything but yet your screeing did ?

Im booked in for CCSVI screening in Scotland !!!! 9th July if they pick up noduels Ill being trotting back to GP for further investigation. Right side of My neck is hard with a red rash enough of a rash I have to cover with makeup.

However the one thing about EHClinic they wont answere my question on do we get written or photograpic evidence of our screening . My god if we dont get anything I will be chomping on the bit.... Im really getting anal about this paper work

This will be great if we do as her ladyship down at the sugery will move based on evidenance

Final Question are you on DMD
jozee
Family Member

Post by jozee »

I've also wondered about vit. D and how it figures into the ccsvi equation. Absorbed by the skin from the sun and also from diet and then transported through blood to organs. I know, very simplistic. From a family of 5 siblings- we all spent similar times in the outdoors, ate the same food and I'm the only one with MS. However, my Dad has MS. Suggest a genectic disposition to CCSVI and MS. Veins stenosed preventing blood from transporting vit. D to its destination. Resulting in low levels of D. This got me thinking about hormones in general. Many produced in the hypothalamus, thalamus and pituitary regions of the brain. Progesterone is included in this group of hormones. During the third trimester of pregnancy, progesterone is produced in the placenta. Is this why pregnant women with MS have a relief of their symptoms during this time of the pregnancy? They are getting progesterone from an alternate source and not from the brain. Are other hormones produced in the placenta at this time?? My thoughts are...neurotransmitters(hormones) get stopped by stenosed veins which drain from the brain .

This is a very crude explanation of this idea, but, I was listening to Tom Waits and a little Miles Davis while thinking about this. Does anybody have any thoughts on this?

J
Villagemaid
Family Elder

Post by Villagemaid »

Silver...

Lucky Dog....going to Glasgow....I wanna go again...waaaa.....lol... :lol:

I am not on any DMD's.....I went off of them a year and a half ago. I first started out on Rebif....then switched to Copaxone as I tolerated it better. When it became a financial issue I stopped taking it. Never tried LDN...never heard of it before actually, until this website. I beleive that my Neuro is too complacent and I am NOT going back to him. Ever.

As for the thyroid - yes....my levels came up normal - but I think it was just a TSH test and I can't read if they tested the T3 or T4 or whatever it is. All I kn ow is that I asked my GP to do some testing on my thyroid and everything was normal (up until the $500 out-of-pocket expense ultrasound that I did on my behalf).

I got CD images of my MRV and Ultrasound Doppler from False Creek. Of course, the Clinic in Scotland will need to re-test me asthey have thier own protocol - understandable and professional/best practice. I think that's a good thing.

Return to “Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency (CCSVI)”