Paying for Testing and Intervention at Stanford

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.

Paying for Testing and Intervention at Stanford

Postby coach » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:53 pm

I talked with Alex at Dr. Dake's office last week and asked her if I needed to call my insurance (PPO) or what. She said she would check with them and get back with me. Haven't heard yet. Don't know if others insurance is covering the testing and intervention. Can't set up something definite with Stanford until I know about the insurance because if it is not going to cover the 80% looks like we will need to make some other financial arrangement. Can handle the 20% which is still a chunk of change, but manageable. I know Sharon said Medicare covered her testing and intervention. I suppose I am anxious to get the testing because I don't feel I have the luxury of waiting since I am already SPMS with estimated EDSS of 5.5 to 6. MS has been an unwelcome guest in my life for 25 years. I think the testing and intervention is a step in the right direction and I am willing to be one of the lab rats.

Did a Tim Conway fall down our 4 back door's brick steps yesterday. Slow motion with a head bonk at the bottom of the stairs on the cement floor of the carport after an errand run. I know I have been called hard-headed before, but this may give it a different meaning. Trying to get the cold stuff inside out of the heat, but boy was it awkward and it took a great deal of effort. My muscles were not co-operating. Guess it might have been the heat intolerance issue which has happened before. Scraped elbow and knee but no broken bones thank goodness. When I read about others excercising on here- Sharon- pilates, yoga, gym, golf and Marie the eliptical- boy do I feel like a wimp, but battle fatigue and it wins oftentimes especially when I have one of those nights I get about 4 hours of sleep. I know others struggle with similar problems. Trying to be positive and remain in good spirits.Thanks for allowing the vent and the question about insurance. May need to drop back and punt.
User avatar
coach
Family Elder
 
Posts: 201
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2004 3:00 pm
Location: georgia

Advertisement

Postby Sharon » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:45 pm

Coach wrote:
I know Sharon said Medicare covered her testing and intervention. I suppose I am anxious to get the testing because I don't feel I have the luxury of waiting since I am already SPMS with estimated EDSS of 5.5 to 6.


To clarify - Medicare paid 80% and my supplemental insurance paid the remaining 20% (actually I was billed $7.62). Holly's Arizona HMO plan paid (I believe) 80% - she had to pick up the rest. My thought is to leave it up to Alex to battle with your insurance - she will let you know what your out of pocket expense will be.

Did a Tim Conway fall down our 4 back door's brick steps yesterday. Slow motion with a head bonk at the bottom of the stairs on the cement floor of the carport after an errand run.


You may want to pad that cement floor!! :roll: If you have the procedure you will be on big doses of blood thinners and cannot afford to bonk your head on anything. Dr. Dake said that if I fell and hit my head I was to go to the emergency room immediately.

When I read about others excercising on here- Sharon- pilates, yoga, gym, golf and Marie the eliptical- boy do I feel like a wimp, but battle fatigue and it wins oftentimes especially when I have one of those nights I get about 4 hours of sleep.


Do not ever consider yourself a wimp ---- geez, you have to live with MS everyday. I know that I am fortunate to be able to exercise....to be 66 yrs old and have MS and still be able to play golf is a blessing which I am thankful for everyday. You that have more severe symptoms, that suffer with pain, that have bladder problems, fatigue and depression...you are my heroes. I walk with a limp but I am still able to do just about anything I want. My hope is that the CCSVI will halt my progression --I can live with a limp --I do not know how I would cope with what "my heroes" have to deal with on a day to day basis.

And, venting is good for the soul.

Sharon
User avatar
Sharon
Family Elder
 
Posts: 1236
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2004 4:00 pm
Location: Colorado


Return to Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency (CCSVI)

 


  • Related topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users


Contact us | Terms of Service

cron