CCSVI in PPMS

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
Anna2

CCSVI in PPMS

Post by Anna2 »

Hello everyone,
I am a PPMS-sufferer from Germany and have lately been reading very much on this very informative website. What I do not quite understand until now - and maybe you can help me - is: What are the results on CCSVI in PPMS so far? Has anybody with PPMS got stents put in? And how did it work? Or are results about this subject expected not before September 8th?
Thank you so much for some enlightment.
Regards,
Anna
TvG
Getting to Know You...

Post by TvG »

Interesting issue Anna.
I'm also very curious if there are any PP-experiences with CCSVI treatments.

Maybe usefull for the discussion some PP hilites from the paper:
Moreover, relapsing-remitting and secondary progressive
courses were associated to CCSVI patterns significantly different from those of primary progressive (p<0.0001). Finally, the pressure gradient measured across the venous stenosies was slightly but significantly higher.
We also observed that the PP course was related to a CCSVI pattern significantly different as compared to RR and SP, suggesting that the location of venous obstruction plays a key role in determining the clinical course.
For instance, PP course, characterized by a slowly progressive syndrome with spastic paraparesis and MRI demonstration of MS plaques in the spinal cord, 20,30-32 was significantly associated to obstruction at several levels of the azygous vein and of the lumbar plexuses (type D pattern, Fig. 3, Table III). In this situation venous blood of the spinal cord can be drained only in an upward direction, and is shunted toward the venous plexuses inside the spine (Fig. 3, 4), contributing to explain the correlation between type D and spinal cord involvement in PP patients.
mrhodes40
Family Elder

Post by mrhodes40 »

There are not peer reviewed published results yet on treatment, the closest thing is the Biba medical paper from the Cx symposium which is a preliminary report on the Liberation treated people from 2 years ago.

That papers mentions that progressive people were treated but only tallies the results of RRMS. I suspect this is because of the ease of tallying things like how many relapses. It is devilishly hard to quantify progressive people especially in the short term.

that having been said, this post
http://www.thisisms.com/ftopic-7894-0.html

tells the experience of one progressive person treated by Dr Zamboni about 2 years ago. I do not believe he had stents, but perhaps he will come here and comment.
I'm not offering medical advice, I am just a patient too! Talk to your doctor about what is best for you...
http://www.thisisms.com/ftopic-7318-0.html This is my regimen thread
http://www.ccsvibook.com Read my book published by McFarland Health topics