Got the call now where to stay in Palo Alto/Stanford

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
Boopieup
Family Member

Got the call now where to stay in Palo Alto/Stanford

Post by Boopieup »

We got the call from Dr. Dake. After the call I felt a bit guilty. Here's a renowned surgeon calling my house and I give him 'tude...kind of. PMSing again. Two weeks straight. We forgot to mention that to him and forgot to ask him all kinds of other questions such as

How long do these stents last?
What other materials are they made of? I'm allergic to nickel
Where do I go for recovery?
What should I be or not be eating in preparation for the surgery?

He said they are going to scan my legs too to find out what is going on with them.

Back to my original question.

I can't be driven all over hell's half acre to look for a place to stay. I'm that bad off. Three hours in the car alone will probably do me in.

Where are and what are the names of places to stay/hotels or whatever?

These are my requirements.
1. Disabled person facilities.
2.Mainly a big enough (at least 5 feet) roll-in shower. Don't fotget. A 36" inseam plus a bit of butt padding makes for a pretty good amount of feet when my feet have to be elevated at all times including showering time.
3.Wheelchair accessible everywhere.

Does anyone know of a place down there that is disabled friendly? We don't have family there.

Please help me on this one.

I'm going to email Alex these questions too.

Thanks ya'll!
mrhodes40
Family Elder

Post by mrhodes40 »

Hey Boopieup!! you get to go and see what is what, good deal!

I stayed at the Sheraton. I asked for a disabled room and they have them with showers on the 4th floor. I still walk with a cane it was a too long walk for me so I had to ask day 2 to be on the ground floor near the disabled door.

The showers are about 5 feet long but they do have a little bit of a lip to them...I do not know if you could roll in over that or not, I think so but I do not use a chair so I would not want you to count on that based on me.. :oops: It also had a built in shower chair you can put down and sit on that a person could transfer to pretty easily. The shower head was a handheld so that a person could make all kinds of messes in their with it. The door slid to one side like a barn door.

The bathroom was huge in that room, the bedroom part was not very big, they may have a suite or something that would be bigger though. I have a feeling that 6 feet of Boopieup and chair would fill up the hallway pretty good with not a lot of extra space. The beds were big and comfortable though....VERY comfortable.

And you can bring your doggie, should you be so inclined. :wink:

I took mine and was sort of sorry cause Bill couldn't leave her easily to talk to doc with me. You are not allowed to leave them in the hotel. She had to stay on her bed in the car, we drove our car though so that was familiar to her. She's a border collie.

After your testing and imaging you will talk to Dr Dake as you decide if surgery is good you will get to ask questions so keep a paper.....

Stents in heart patients often are changed with time. I asked Dr D about how long they'd last and he said he thought they'd be permanent. Since this is new PLEASE ask him again Boopieup and tell us what he said??

Cnclear asked about nickel and he told her she can have nickle free stents apparently....CNClear? answer this please?

They have a recovery room for the immediate post surgical phase and I stayed overnight in the hospital. Then I recovered in my room at the Sheraton for 3 days....

they'll tell you about food in the presurgery visit with Dr d.
I'm not offering medical advice, I am just a patient too! Talk to your doctor about what is best for you...
http://www.thisisms.com/ftopic-7318-0.html This is my regimen thread
http://www.ccsvibook.com Read my book published by McFarland Health topics
catfreak
Family Elder

Post by catfreak »

I stayed at the Sheraton also since we did not have a rental and used the buses to get everywhere. The room was great and very comfy, we did not have a handicap room so I don't know about that.

Good Luck and keep us posted.

Cat
Holly - Shine On You Crazy Diamond - Pink Floyd

9/3/09 Stanford - Dr Dake - Stent in R-J to unblock Arachnoid Cyst in Sigmoid Sinus. Stent in narrowed L-J. Balloon in narrowing where R & L Jugulars meet.
Boopieup
Family Member

lodging

Post by Boopieup »

Thanks mrhodes40 and Cartreak. I've been reasearching and found that the Sheraton doesn't have the facilities that I need. I'm continuing research and have found a couple of leads, but need to find out more.
DX w/ RRMS 2004. Self DX PPMS. I don't sit here feeling sorry for myself; I just sit here. View my Blog--history and current events in my life at
http://boopieupsmsjourney.blogspot.com/
Sharon
Family Elder

Post by Sharon »

Boopie - try the Creekside Inn - I think they have a roll in shower in their handicap rooms. This is where I stayed - it is about a five minute drive to Stanford. There is a great little deli right next door too.
<shortened url>

Sharon
Sarahbellum
Family Member

What about us singletons?

Post by Sarahbellum »

I am thinking about having the procedure but need to figure out the logistics and costs.

I would fly out from Baltimore. My daughter lives in Portland, OR so would ask her to fly down for the diagnostic day and the procedure day and get me settled in a hotel. She has 2-yr. old twins and a busy job and don't want to ask her to stay longer than absolutely necessary.

Would I be ok staying by myself in a hotel room until the day 3 check-up?
I have friends in Berleley/Oakland who I would ask to come get me and stay with them till the 2 wk check up back in Palo Alto and then fly back by myself.

Does this sound like a reasonable plan?
How far away is Berkeley from Palo Alto?

Thanks
mrhodes40
Family Elder

Post by mrhodes40 »

I could have done all that Sarah.
I'm not offering medical advice, I am just a patient too! Talk to your doctor about what is best for you...
http://www.thisisms.com/ftopic-7318-0.html This is my regimen thread
http://www.ccsvibook.com Read my book published by McFarland Health topics

Return to “Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency (CCSVI)”