CCSVI - do you think exercise would help?

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15333630
J Appl Physiol. 2004 Sep;97(3):1119-28.
What makes vessels grow with exercise training?

Prior BM, Yang HT, Terjung RL.
SourceDepartment of Biomedical Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Missouri, Columbia, Missouri 65211, USA.

Abstract

Exercise and muscle contractions create a powerful stimulus for structural remodeling of the vasculature. An increase in flow velocity through a vessel increases shear stress, a major stimulus for enlargement of conduit vessels. This leads to an endothelial-dependent, nitric oxide-dependent enlargement of the vessel. Increased flow within muscle, in the absence of contractions, leads to an enhanced capillarity by intussusceptive angiogenesis, a process of capillary splitting by intraluminal longitudinal divide. In contrast, sprouting angiogenesis requires extensive endothelial cell proliferation, with degradation of the extracellular matrix to permit migration and tube formation. This occurs during muscle adaptations to chronic contractions and/or muscle overload. The angiogenic growth factor VEGF appears to be an important element in angiogenesis. Recent advances in research have identified hemodynamic and mechanical stimuli that upregulate angiogenic processes, demonstrated a complexity of potent growth factors and interactions with their corresponding receptors, detected an interaction of cellular signaling events, and identified important tissue reorganization processes that must be coordinated to effect vascular remodeling. It is likely that much of this information is applicable to the vascular remodeling that occurs in response to exercise and/or muscle contractions.
Do you think this is talking about just smaller or arterial vessels or can exercise enlarge the deep veins such as jugulars? I am not thinking about a temporary enlargement during the exercise but more permanently.
pelopidas
Family Member

Re: CCSVI - do you think exercise would help?

Post by pelopidas »

This is about angiogenesis, the creation of new vessels in general.
They say that exercise (chronic contraction/overload of muscles) promotes the angiogenesis through splitting of capillaries. It involves the veins, too.
This is permanent, although after years of lack of exercise the new (and old) vessels become narrow again.
As for me, i was successfully treated by Dr Sclafani on June 2011. During summer i was only swimming and it was great. I have been back to gym again on October.
But now there were new challenges. I felt strong and tried new workouts, more weights and then i was injured.
I had some MS symptoms again.
It was not a relapse and certainly it was not a restenosis.U\S was fine.
After i gave up heavy workout, everything went back to normal.
So maybe angiogenesis through muscle contraction can wait.
I think that we need more time to heal after angioplasty.
Maybe swimming and other mild workout is better
getafix