CCSVI and Chronic Sinusitis?

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
daniel
Family Elder

CCSVI and Chronic Sinusitis?

Post by daniel »

I just recently had my first allergy test appointment, and the doctor told me be believed I had chronic sinusitis... then I read about sleeping positions at http://www.thisisms.com/ftopict-8455.html and it made me wonder if there's a lot more people with MS that have nasal congestion every morning? (Every morning I have to spit out a little phlegm that seems lodged in my throat... this is from as far as I can recall.. at least 9+ years daily)
Daisyduck
Family Member

Post by Daisyduck »

Hi: It was what I thought was chronic and hugely painful sinus headaches
that caused me to make the initial call to Dr. Dake after I had dismissed the entire thing back in May of this year. When I called, Dr. Dake actually answered his own phone, wow! We spoke awhile, and he recommeded I go see an ENT to have a sinus scan done. So I went to SCRIPPS for the sinus scan and that same day, SCRIPPS handed me a disk which we UPS'd to Stanford immediately. A couple of days later Dr. Dake called to say my sinuses were fine and the headaces were caused by something else.
But to get back to your question, I had sinus headaches that were never quite gone. They came in waves and felt more like migraines, but always started below the eye or eyes, went into the ear and throat, and my throat was always red and infected looking. I had sores in my nose.
So, yes, I had them. After I had the stents placed back in June they stopped. Every once in a while I'll get a hint of them but now they are barely there and appear when I get a cold, I think. So good luck. Daisyduck
zap
Family Elder

Post by zap »

I have a long history of sinus troubles.

Interestingly, my dad, who has the same "vasomotor rhinitis"* I seem to have, loathes wearing button up shirts, because the tight collar constricting his neck makes his sinuses clog up terribly somehow. And Dr Dake asks many of us about history of allergies - which I have.

Vasomotor rhinitis is also known as non-allergenic rhinitis, because it often has the same symptoms as allergies, but has different causes. Whereas allergenic rhinitis conditions (such as hayfever) are the result of the immune system overreacting to environmental irritants (pollen, etc), vasomotor rhinitis is believed to be caused by oversensitive or excessive blood vessels in the nasal membrane. These blood vessels (which are controlled in turn by the autonomic nervous system) contract or dilate in order to regulate mucus flow and congestion. But in the vasomotor rhinitis sufferer, oversensitive or excessive blood vessel dilation or contraction causes an overreaction to such stimuli as changes in weather, temperature, or barometric pressure, chemical irritants such as smoke, ozone, pollution, perfumes, and aerosol sprays, psychological stress and emotional shocks, certain types of medications, alcohol, and even spicy food.
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Post by lyndacarol »

Zap--I, too, have a long history of sinusitis.

I have always thought it was somehow connected to the pneumonia I had at age 6, since it began about that time. But now I think this description of "Vasomotor rhinitis" is more fitting. As a matter of fact, I wore turtleneck tops, almost exclusively for decades, three seasons of the year (fall, winter, spring) until a couple years before my MS diagnosis, when they started to feel too constrictive and made me feel almost "carsick."
daniel
Family Elder

Post by daniel »

Vasomotor rhinitis sounds interesting, though I'm not entirely sure yet if that's what I have... I don't normally get a runny nose when the temperature changes (that I've noticed...)

I do however hate wearing turtle necks and have avoided them all my life... heh