Inclined Bed Therapy

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
bmk1234
Family Elder

Post by bmk1234 »

AndrewKFletcher wrote:
bmk1234 wrote:Hi Andrew a question for you. I have MS, I have had my bed raised about 3 inches for a few months, I want to go to 6" and I did for a few days. The only problem I had was my wife hated it. Any suggestions for a queen size bed to raise one side another 3 inches and not the other.

Thanks for all you do.
Your welcome :D

This is a tough one. Does your mattress seperate? If it does then a plywood wedge under your side will prove useful.

Raising your side an additional 3 inches using folded blankets to make a wedge under your side of the mattress will be inexpensive and easy to accomplish.

If not then maybe you should consider sleeping in a seperate bed until your symptoms improve enough to convince your wife to try it again for longer.

Alternatively you could purchase two new single mattresses and place side by side on the frame.

Option one would be my choice being a cheepster according to my wife .

:roll:
It is one of those foam mattresses so maybe I can wedge it partly on my side under the mattress. I'll try a few things and let you know what I come up with.

Thanks for the help.
Rosegirl
Family Elder

foam wedge

Post by Rosegirl »

Go do a store that cuts foam for sofa cushions. They had half-bed wedges that go from the waist up. But they also could order a wedge that was full body length for any size bed. They said they often did that for hospitals.

The cost was about $80US plus delivery.

I got a wedge that covers half of our king size bed. When it gets in the way of snuggling with my darling husband, I'll just put it on the floor and then replace it when it's time to sleep.
gibbledygook
Family Elder

Post by gibbledygook »

Andrew, do you think IBT would help Rici? Please see his thread about his damaged valve and large jugular under This is a one bad venous reflux caused by damaged valve forum, http://www.thisisms.com/ftopic-10732-45.html.
3 years antibiotics, 06/09 bilateral jug stents at C1, 05/11 ballooning of both jug valves, 07/12 stenting of renal vein, azygos & jug valve ballooning,
bmk1234
Family Elder

Re: foam wedge

Post by bmk1234 »

Rosegirl wrote:Go do a store that cuts foam for sofa cushions. They had half-bed wedges that go from the waist up. But they also could order a wedge that was full body length for any size bed. They said they often did that for hospitals.

I got a wedge that covers half of our king size bed. When it gets in the way of snuggling with my darling husband, I'll just put it on the floor and then replace it when it's time to sleep.
Thanks for the info, I'll see what I can find.
Bizzy
Family Member

Post by Bizzy »

I'm a bit confused since receiving my Craniocervical Venous Doppler Report. The radiologist at the time mentioned that I had some irregular blood flow on my left side of my jugular vein and that I would probably benefit from sleeping in a lazyboy. When I received the written report - it said Documentation of sustained (greater than 0,8 seconds) reproducible reflux in the left internal jugular vein mainly near end of expiration. Flow resumes normal direction during quiet breathing. Once the patient is placed upright the left internal jugular vein partially collapses.

This wound contradictory, if my left internal jugular vein partially collapses when placed upright, doesn't this mean, it's better lying down?

I have inclined my bed, did I do right?
bmk1234
Family Elder

Re: foam wedge

Post by bmk1234 »

Rosegirl wrote:Go do a store that cuts foam for sofa cushions. They had half-bed wedges that go from the waist up. But they also could order a wedge that was full body length for any size bed. They said they often did that for hospitals.

I did some surfing today to try and find such a place and wasn't successful looking for a full length foam wedge or comapny to cut one for me. Can you point me to a company that you know of?

thanks
AndrewKFletcher
Family Elder

Post by AndrewKFletcher »

Bizzy wrote:I'm a bit confused since receiving my Craniocervical Venous Doppler Report. The radiologist at the time mentioned that I had some irregular blood flow on my left side of my jugular vein and that I would probably benefit from sleeping in a lazyboy. When I received the written report - it said Documentation of sustained (greater than 0,8 seconds) reproducible reflux in the left internal jugular vein mainly near end of expiration. Flow resumes normal direction during quiet breathing. Once the patient is placed upright the left internal jugular vein partially collapses.

This wound contradictory, if my left internal jugular vein partially collapses when placed upright, doesn't this mean, it's better lying down?

I have inclined my bed, did I do right?
Gradually the medical profession is waking up to the reality of IBT.

Yes you absolutly did the right thing! You may need to experiment with the angle to find your comfort zone.

Have you noticed how different IBT is in the first few nights?

Thanks for posting this
Inclined Bed Therapy (IBT) | http://www.inclinedbedtherapy.com
Sleeping Inclined To Restore and Support Your Health For Free. Fascinating Science, Discovery, History and Medical Research In Circulation And Posture.
ErikaSlovakia
Family Elder

Post by ErikaSlovakia »

Hi there :)
So, I am back, I bought a new bed with a new good quality mattress, I have tilted the bed about 9 cm, 3,5 inches.
I spent already 3 nights on it. My spina bifida is fine so far I just had light backache in the morning for a while but I get use to it.
I do not have any improvements in my symptoms.
I was flat for more than 2 months and I have less headache but I think it is from the stent and I do not feel pain anymore behind my left eye.
I still have cruel neuropathic pain in my right arm and more...
Erika
Aug. 7, 09 Doppler Ultras. in Poland, left Jugul. valve problem, RRMS since 1996, now SPMS,
- Nov.3,09: one stent in the left jug. vein in Katowice, Poland, LDN, never on DMDs
- Jan. 19, 11: control venography in Katowice - negative but I feel worse
Vhoenecke
Family Elder

Post by Vhoenecke »

Glad you are back on IBT Erica. Keep your bed at that level for a while to allow for your Spina Bifida to adjust. I am glad the pain behind your eye is gone.

Val
AndrewKFletcher
Family Elder

Welcome back to IBT Erika

Welcome back to your thread Erika

We kept it warm for your return :)

Andrew
Sleeping Inclined To Restore and Support Your Health For Free. Fascinating Science, Discovery, History and Medical Research In Circulation And Posture.
AndrewKFletcher
Family Elder

Comment from Facebook

Andrew, Just want to thank you for your not good but excellent work, last two nights i ve tried the IBT and my headache, fatigue and stiffness is much improved.
Yesterday at 07:42

This man has ms and has had CCSVI procedure, Reports IBT is effective
http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gi ... ef=mf#wall
Last edited by AndrewKFletcher on Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wilfy

Post by Wilfy »

So... seems like this thread is going a little cold...

with 57,000 views and climbing its certainly not through lack of interest!

how is everyone progressing along? all good i hope? any more improvements?

Or any new forum lurkers out there who are just angling their beds without adding their 2 cents?

My dads needs regular updates! all the information here is so valuable!

and if you can spare a moment pop over to Andrewkfletcher.com register and start a journal on there!

Every person that angles their bed is 1 step closer to getting this mainstream!

Think about it people! better yet sleep on it 8)
joyj
Getting to Know You...

Post by joyj »

hi andrew, im on month 4 now, really feeling the extra strength in my legs now, ive noticed also the last couple of weeks the spasms in my legs are much worse. do you think with salt flushout it may be takeing vitimins too, i take calcium and magnesium supplements, im wondering whether to double my intake
AndrewKFletcher
Family Elder

Minerals, salts diet and Inclined bed Therapy

Joyj

Those spasm increases have been reported many times before by other people with ms using IBT. When they subside, there is usually a report of improved function and recovery of lost sensation.

Although we are effectively using salts and their weight in the blood to mobilise the circulation, this movement of the salts towards the bladder via kidney filtration cannot take place without the minerals and vitamins being replaced from our diet.

I doubt that increasing the calcium and magnisium will do much to ease the spasms.

That said you are in a great position to test to see whether they do or not.
merida
Getting to Know You...

Post by merida »

Hi Andrew,

We inclined our bed 6" about 3 months ago and the results for my husband have been incredible.

I'm a little concerned as he tends to slide down during the night so that his head isn't at the highest point of the incline. His thinking is that it doesn't make a difference but we wanted to be sure.

Appreciate your thoughts.....