Inclined Bed Therapy

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
AndrewKFletcher
Family Elder

Post by AndrewKFletcher »

Hi Merida

Would like to learn more about your husbands experience, as I am sure people on this forum would.

Also can you add a journal to the new IBT forum, this approach makes it easier to follow progress?

Your husband is correct about being down the bed a little not making any difference.

Thanks

Andrew
Inclined Bed Therapy (IBT) | http://www.inclinedbedtherapy.com
Sleeping Inclined To Restore and Support Your Health For Free. Fascinating Science, Discovery, History and Medical Research In Circulation And Posture.
shye
Family Elder

Post by shye »

Just a quick update note--
going into 5th month of IBT--since last post, have gained not only better circulation in hands and feet, my feet now sweat :? for first time in MANY years.
So, clearly continue to progress with IBT
AndrewKFletcher
Family Elder

Sweating IBT

Shy

This was also reported by people with spinal cord injuries, sweating below the injury site following a spinal cord injury can be comprimised. The upper body and head may sweat profusely, but not below the site of injury.

Yet, IBT has reversed this and much more.

Would some of your lesions be in the spine by any chance?

Andrew
Sleeping Inclined To Restore and Support Your Health For Free. Fascinating Science, Discovery, History and Medical Research In Circulation And Posture.
shye
Family Elder

Post by shye »

Andrew,
No, no lesions in spine, unless in past year and 1/2.

But have had prob with no, or little perspiration for many years, and not just in feet--we assumed it was thryoid (am hypo)--but even with med for thryoid, still not perspiring in feet, until the IBT. Am also getting EDTA infusions once a week, so could be arteries and veins are clearing with the EDTA(disodium), which would also help circulation I think.

But along your line of thinking here, I did fairly recently get major neck adjustments done by chiropractor--Atlas has been rotated for number of years (accident), and since she "unrotated" it, am doing better in all parameters--so rotation could have been impeding spine as well as head.
newfie-girl
Family Member

2 month update

Post by newfie-girl »

Hi Andrew, first of all, thank you, so very much for all your hard work and dedication to IBT. I am in my 9th week now and have my bed inclined to 5.5 in.

The results have been amazing:

The 1st couple of nights, I felt tingling ( a good tingling)of life coming back to my legs and hands. It was as if my body had been awoken after 10 years of sleep!
Dreaming has returned nightly, but I still don't remember a whole lot in the morning(must be an age thing :( )
Less trips or no trips to the bathroom, this was something I noticed immediately, the first couple of nights.
Circulation is so much better, both hands and feet are toasty warm, compared to ice cold before.
I'm saving the best for last:

I have been in a wheelchair for 4 years now, and for the first time in 4 years, I can lift up my foot about 3 inches off the floor, a major accomplishment for me. I can even take a few steps unattended or holding on to something. I occasionaly use a walker and the strength in my left leg ( i suffer from dropfoot in that legs)is so much better. My family and friends are astounded by the difference in my gait, they say, I am standing straighter and stronger. I love my IB and will continue to follow this therapy forever. I would suggest to all MSers out there who are skeptical to get inclined,ASAP.
Sorry for such a long post but I could go on forever.

Thank you, Thank you,Thank you, you are my hero!
AndrewKFletcher
Family Elder

Wow, Another Incredible Inclined Bed Therapy Result.

Newfie-girl

Thank you so much for your post and words of encouragement to others to try IBT.

If this had been because of a surgical procedure the whole forum would have erupted in a Mexican Wave.

Yet your post was followed only by silence?

This unfortunately is how it is and how it always will be with anything that does not involve the medical profession’s authority and stamp of approval.

But you and I know IBT is for real and many people who have tilted their beds on this forum know it is for real. What could be simpler, less expensive and safer than avoiding a flat bed by raising the head end of the bed 6-8 inches?

Well I for one thought your post was nothing less than fantastic news, it was so important that I have forwarded it to Professor Zamboni, Dr Franz Schelling, Dr Sclafani, Dr Claude Franceschi, and Professor Beggs.

I would also like to feature yours and others posts on my website's front page and hope there will be few objections to me using reports. :D

Andrew
Asher
Family Elder

Post by Asher »

Hallo Andrew and Newfie-girl, It's as if I wrote your post myself, only that I am not wheelchair bound and hopefully will remain so in the future as well . The way I see it, IBT is the 2nd best thing to being liberated. I'm on 6 inches now and will move on to 8 tonight. Thank you Andrew, and do not hesitate to use my posts on your site.
AndrewKFletcher
Family Elder

Idea for using posts from Thisisms that relate to IBT

Thanks Asher
BBE
Family Member

Post by BBE »

Hi Andrew,
because we are sleeping on 6,5 inch incline and planning to buy new mattresses we are not sure what type of mattress is suitable for an inclined bed. I mean PUR foam (memory foam), latex foam or pocket springs. Mainly pocket springs are a worry for me because I think that the springs should have 90 deg. angle to work as intended. If the angle is inclined it must have other effects. With foam mattresses there should be no problem.? Thanks.
AndrewKFletcher
Family Elder

Memory foam provide additional support and prevent slipping.

A memory foam topper can be used on top of a traditional sprung mattress without problems.

Some people become too warm using a memory foam mattress and a few have an allergy to latex.

A simple way to determine if you have an alergy to latex is to find something made from latex and leave it close to your skin for 10 hours.

Do not use full latex gloves as these cause the nerves in the hands and arms to behave oddly, though this is due to the very moit environment inside the glove rather than the latex.

Andrew
Selmahope
Family Elder

question for andrew

Post by Selmahope »

Hi Andrew-

I'm at 4.5 inches now raised 2 weeks ago. Again I don't have an MS diagnosis, but optic neuritis and have an explosion of neuro symptoms going on right now since crashing on some drugs/herbs /probably chronic lyme.

Since raising my numbness has spread from myleft side to right now right arm /hand feels numb.

I'm not sure if it's related to IBT or just part of the downward cycle I've been in for 4 months now.

I am a side sleeper so my arms are to the side or above my head. I also sleep with covers over my head hand up ( i know bad habit from childhood/cold house and northeast cold winters)--

Could I be making matters worse for my arms/hands?

I"m about 6 weeks on IBT now- I was hoping to start sleeping better (total insomnia) or stop progression/start to stabilize during this crash. I've not noticed any improvements yet. I was hoping numbness would go away. Numbness only came about8 weeks ago. I didn' thave it before this crash.
zap
Family Elder

Re: question for andrew

Post by zap »

Selmahope wrote:I am a side sleeper so my arms are to the side or above my head. I also sleep with covers over my head hand up
see http://www.thisisms.com/ftopict-11038.html
AndrewKFletcher
Family Elder

Selmahope

Sleeping on an inclined bed with your hands near you face or above your head is going to make them much worse. You will experience numbness, loss of movement in hands and fingers, pain, pins and needles sensation.

Not a good idea.

Andrew
AndrewKFletcher
Family Elder

Foreverspring IBT Progress Journal

http://www.andrewkfletcher.com/index.ph ... &Itemid=30

Just spent a few hours trimming the Tracking Journal Template, after finding it a little complicated.

I used Foreversprings posts to test it and altered the date format so we can copy posts from in thisisms forums and include the dates and times of the posts.

Once you have read through Foreversprings reports, you will realise why a tracking journal is of paramount importance for other people with ms to understand what to expect when they tilt their beds.

I must say when I read through her informative posts it was rather tearful and at the same time frustrating that so many people are uing IBT and so few are helping me to compile the data on the new IBT forum.

Tell me what I have to do or say to get some more Journals on the new forum?
Kar1
Getting to Know You...

Post by Kar1 »

Hi. I have only been doing IBT for one week, and from the very first night I didnt have to get up at all. Usually I need to get up a couple of times and have had to for a long time ( can't remember exactly how long), so this is really good. I also suffer from vertigo when I lie flat without a huge pillow, so sleeping ths way has felt so natural to me and it is really too soon to say but I have been waking up more refreshed. Usually even after a nights sleep I still wake up deeply fatigued so I am hopeful this will continue and get better. No change to any circulation though. Partner has also found his problem back has been less painful in the mornings as well, so looking forward to see what happens after a few months. Wish I knew about this ages ago. I do wander how this affects people with CCSVI as well, ie is it still a good thing to do.