Good supplement for all stenters - abstract only

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
milica
Getting to Know You...

Good supplement for all stenters - abstract only

Post by milica »

Phosphatidylserine-containing liposomes promote maximal survival of retinal neurons after ischemic injury

This study was supported by the AHA Scientist Development Award 0735014B (DI); NIH grant EY017991 and Research to Prevent Blindness (RPB) Career Development Award (VS); NIH grant P30 EY014801 and unrestricted RPB grant to the University of Miami Department of Ophthalmology.

Galina Dvoriantchikova1, Christian Agudelo2, Eleut Hernandez1, Valery I Shestopalov1,3 and Dmitry Ivanov1,4

1Department of Ophthalmology, Bascom Palmer Eye Institute, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, Miami, Florida, USA
2Department of Physiology and Biophysics, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, Miami, Florida, USA
3Departments of Cell Biology and Anatomy, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, Miami, Florida, USA
4Vavilov Institute of General Genetics RAS, Moscow, Russian Federation
Correspondence: Dr D Ivanov, Bascom Palmer Eye Institute, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, 1638 NW 10th Ave, Miami, FL 33136, USA. E-mail: divanov@med.miami.edu; Dr V Shestopalov, E-mail: vshestopalov@med.miami.edu

Received 27 April 2009; Revised 20 June 2009; Accepted 22 June 2009; Published online 15 July 2009.

Top of pageAbstract
We investigated the systemic effect of liposomes bearing apoptotic signals on the level of inflammation and neuronal death induced by ischemia–reperfusion (IR). Using a model of retinal ischemia, we showed that treatment with phosphatidylserine (PS) and phosphatidylcholine (PC) liposomes significantly reduced the expression of proinflammatory genes, including that of Il1b, Il6, Ccl2, Ccl5, Cxcl10, and Icam1, 24 h after reperfusion. Phosphatidylserine liposome treatment was the most efficient and correlated with significantly reduced neuronal death in the retina 7 days after reperfusion. The results of our study indicate that therapeutic strategy based on mimicking a systemic increase in apoptotic signaling can significantly reduce central nervous system damage induced by IR and improve neurologic outcome.

Keywords: apoptosis, inflammation, ischemia, liposomes, phosphatidylserine, retinal pathology

Link

http://www.nature.com/jcbfm/journal/v29 ... 0995a.html
cheerleader
Family Elder

Post by cheerleader »

Interesting abstract, thanks Milica!
I don't think those liposomes are commercially available, though. Maybe someday.
Stuff that folks who have received stents can get now that might be helpful are bromelain -an anti-inflammatory protein eating enzyme from pineapple, EGCG (green tea) an iron chelator and antioxidant, quercetin-a super antioxidant and NAC- an iron chelator and anti-oxidant. Jeff's been taking all these guys. So far, so good.
cheer
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
dx dual jugular vein stenosis (CCSVI) 4/09
http://ccsviinms.blogspot.com
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Good supplement for all stenters - abstract only

Post by NHE »

Phosphatidylserine is available commerically as a supplement. Without any statements on quality or efficacy, here's one example. Vitamin Shoppe also has several examples available.

NHE
BBE
Family Member

Post by BBE »

...I have found many Phosphatidylserine supplements over the internet...
cheerleader
Family Elder

Post by cheerleader »

Cool! I stand corrected...looks like liposomes are a good supplement addition. Thanks for the info, Milica!
cheer
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
dx dual jugular vein stenosis (CCSVI) 4/09
http://ccsviinms.blogspot.com
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Good supplement for all stenters

Post by NHE »

Cheerleader wrote:looks like liposomes are a good supplement addition.
Liposomes are like a small vesicle. As a graduate student, I worked in a research lab that used a small syringe type device to make liposomes from different phospholipids. It was composed of two syringes with a fitting between them which had small pores in it. The phospholipid solution would be passed through the fitting from one syringe to the other. After a few passes through the fitting with the pores, the phospholipids would form liposomes. In research, liposomes are used to make it easier for the phospholipids to fuse with the cell's plasma membrane since they exist as small vesicles in an aqueous solution.

Although I haven't checked each of the supplement labels that I referenced above, I think that it's unlikely that they contain liposomes. However, some lotions that I've seen actually do contain liposomes. For example, I'm familiar with one vitamin C face cream which used to list superoxide dismutase liposomes in the ingredients (the liposomes would help carry the enzyme into the skin cells).

NHE