Brain Bucket

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
Ruthless67
Family Elder

Brain Bucket

Post by Ruthless67 »

Kind of an interesting video, granted the MRI does not show the jugular veins, but still a cool invention.

'Brain Bucket' Can See Into Your Brain
http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=7493337&page=1

Developed and implemented at Boston's Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH), the device, officially titled the "multi-channel phased ray coil," is basically a helmet featuring a myriad of sensors and coils connected an magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machine.

With the Brain Bucket, the MRI can generate incredibly high-resolution images of the brain up to 10 times faster than older machines. "It's like we went from a cell phone camera to a 10 megapixel digital camera." Dr. Bruce Rosen, one of the Brain Bucket's creators and Director of the Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Center at MGH said.
radeck
Family Elder

Post by radeck »

Pretty cool, the resolution of those vessels. Dr. Haacke might be interested.
Ruthless67
Family Elder

Post by Ruthless67 »

I have to agree that it's silly looking, like the article said, it kind of like a sci-fi film costume. But you are right radeck, the resolution of those vessels is pretty good. I don't know how to share the link with Dr. Haacke.
Ruthless67
Family Elder

Post by Ruthless67 »

Guess I should have researched this alittle further as this is what someone had to say about the "brain bucket". Sorry to take up space in our forum. :?

Please don't let this whole "brain bucket" get everyone over excited. I work in this field and they have made this out to be much more than I think it is. First, the reason no body knows what when you are calling around is because this appears to not be in production yet. The guy mentions the Seimens prototype - that is not prodution. This type "brain bucket" coil has been presented for years at MRI shows now and still isn't mainstream..... Also, the reason nobody can find this "brain bucket coil" is because this was done on a 7 Tesla MRI scanner - there aren't many facilities out there with 7 Tesla MRI scanners. Currently 1.5T is standard, and 3T is becoming more and more mainstream. Lastly, the pictures they show do not appear to be the same "sequence" as we call it. They obviously do not give enough info, but to my professional eye, it seems they are showing something called a T2* or Gradient Echo for the without the "brain bucket" imaging and then showing what Seimens calls Susceptibility Weighted Imaging (SWI) for the with "brain bucket" imaging. This technology is already routinely available. 7T has a lot of potential and can provide more detail, but is strictly on the research end of MRI right now. First find a good doc for management and treatment of your epilepsy, and if you don't like them, find another. If the recommend an MRI and you want something similar to what this show demonstrated, ask for a 3T and for them to run a SWI sequence.Epiliepsy can have so many reasons behind it, if MRI was the thing that showed it, wouldn't everyon be having MRI's and getting diagnosed and treated?? The patients that were shown are rare instances and in I feel terrible for anyone that this show has gotten their hopes up that their disease is so similar to these rare instances and that they have been mistreated and gone undiagnosed for ump-teen years.