Iron in Zamboni's theory

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.

Re: Iron in Zamboni's theory

Postby Cece » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:48 am

Anonymoose wrote:I am completely rusty on my zamboni iron theory but have the impression it may have been an oversimplification of iron in the ms brain. I might be completely out of whack here as I've not immersed my brain in ccsvi anything for some time.

Hi Anonymoose! Hope you are well. Rituxan ebv/b cell bombing (intravenous and intrathecal)? Interesting & I hope effective!
Yeah, the iron diapedesis into the brain is but one theory of what the neurological sequellae are of the CCSVI blockages. Dr. Zamboni's paper about the Big Idea was early work and I think more of the picture has been put together since then and there is still much to be done. It's also possible for iron to be both a good and bad guy, so to speak, to be doing harm and benefit at the same time.
I would want to be treated for an iron deficiency, if I acquired one. Iron is necessary for red blood cells and red blood cells are necessary for oxygen and oxygen is necessary for neurons. :)
Cece
Family Elder

Advertisement

Postby jimmylegs » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:42 pm

chiming in... would be wise to make sure the zinc is optimized first, so that the body uses new iron inputs properly :D
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby 1eye » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:44 am

OK from a quick look, heme iron does not seem to be what is being discussed in this paper.
Non-heme iron is bound to other molecules such as transferrin. A red blood cell contains iron in the form of hemoglobin, a complex of proteins surrounding an iron atom, which is easily bound and unbound with oxygen as it carries oxygen from lungs to the oxygen-consuming organs. There it loses the oxygen, picking it up again when it reaches the lungs again. When the cell degrades, it is supposed to be recycled by macrophages, and may form part of the next generation of hemoglobin in blood, or go into transferrin, or lose all its hemoglobin and elemental iron atoms will be left. The elemental iron is dangerous, binding easily with free O2 and becoming rust. I do not profess to understand all of the chemistry but it sounds to me like a problem when a working blood cell leaves the blood stream by extravasation. The vessel walls don't normally let this happen.
"Try - Just A Little Bit Harder" - Janis Joplin
CCSVI procedure Albany Aug 2010
'MS' is over - if you want it
Patients sans/without patience
1eye
Family Elder

Previous

Return to Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency (CCSVI)