How many are of Celtic background?

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
Nees
Getting to Know You...

Post by Nees »

My mum is Irish, from Roscommon in the west of Ireland. Her cousin had MS and my brother has it too.
Out2l8
Getting to Know You...

Post by Out2l8 »

paulmur wrote:I'm 3/4 Irish. My grandfather was German.
Me too!

Irish / German. That makes us drunk and angry!

Both grand mothers and one grand father are full Irish. Mother is full
Irish. One German grand father that gave this Irish "kid" a German surname!

No mention of anyone having MS in any of my genealogy that I can see.
wonky1
Family Elder

Post by wonky1 »

I blame the Vikings.
They spread their genes around much of the northern hemisphere including Ireland and interbred with celts.
I have A+ blood from finland I believe.
andrepol
Getting to Know You...

Post by andrepol »

Is there anywhere a MAP of the MS prevalence?
elizabwill

Post by elizabwill »

I am a NZer. Both my parents are from Scotland.
Dovechick
Family Elder

Post by Dovechick »

It is very small but you get the general idea.

http://www.themcfox.com/multiple-sclero ... -of-ms.htm
Michele,  warrior4MS, mother and champion for Ella, the MSer. The solution is out there we just have to ask the right questions.
andrepol
Getting to Know You...

Post by andrepol »

Dovechick wrote:It is very small but you get the general idea.

Oh! Thank you!
mmm... at first sight, the high rate areas of continental Europe look more like those of Burgunds, Saxons, Alamans, Franks ...and Poles ethnicity, rather than Celts...
I have to take a closer look.
stilltalking

Post by stilltalking »

Hello,

I am first generation Canadian. My Father is from Bramley, England and my Mom is from Glasgow, Scotland. My Grandparents were Scottish and my Great Grandma was Irish.

I do believe that Ireland has the highest rate of MS in the world. Canada must be third after Scotland.

I was Dx with MS in July 2007. I became a vegetarian (no beef, pork or chicken) 5 1/2 years ago. I am also anemic. I do not take iron supplements.

Makes you kind of wonder about Dr. Zamboni's iron in the brains of MS patients. Very interesting.

Thanks for posting!!

Ade
One day at a time is the best I can do!!
whyRwehere
Family Elder

Post by whyRwehere »

my husband is at least 1/2, if not all, Irish, by blood.
shye
Family Elder

Post by shye »

if you get your ferritin level checked, you'll know if you have hematachromatosis--
for me, 1 grandparent from somwhere in Ireland--

Since I imagine most of us at some point had ferritin checked, probably it is not hematachromatosis that is the problem, but just that iron accumulates in the brain for some reason--I got the impression from something I read (am zonked out from reading on this CCSVI for so many hours in past few days--not really thinking clearly at this point!-can't remember which article mentioned this) that because of the reperfusion of blood in the brain veins, (as could also happen elsewhere in the body's veins, in legs, etc) the cells leak iron (they burst?), and it is THIS iron that accumulates because can't get out at normal rate because blood flow out is slowed--that is, you don't have an actual body iron overload, just accumulated iron in particular spots where it shouldn't be.
shye
Family Elder

Post by shye »

Merlyn,
I know I am tired now, and maybe not thinking too clearly, but is there in fact a known genetic link in MS as you state?
I don't recall this in my earlier research, and I think Zamboni is theorizing a bit on the genetic angle, but he has done far too few studies with too few patients to make any actual determination on this ? I think
shye
Family Elder

Post by shye »

Just a thought, that might somehow apply here to CCSVI and where prevelant:
an example of using heredity incorrectly to mean genes, when it could just be environment:
Schizophrenia is also extremely high in Ireland--but is it genetic, or the fact that the typical diet excludes things that develop the brain in a way that protects from schizophrenia? The theory I read regarding this is that DHA and EPA (usually from fish oil) is not usually found in the Irish diet except on coasts (where more fish eaten), so would be dietary cause, not genetic, even if runs in families.
shye
Family Elder

Post by shye »

oops, left out:
and DHA and EPA (omega 3 fatty acids) are proven to have protective effect against developing schizophrenia (and can be helpful if do have schizphrenia).

Interestingly, DHA and EPA are also very helpful in ameliorating nerve inflammation, such as with MS.
stilltalking

Post by stilltalking »

I found a World Map of MS.

The British Isles does seem to have one of the highest rates of MS.

Ade
One day at a time is the best I can do!!
Dovechick
Family Elder

world map of MS

Post by Dovechick »

Hi Still talkking, it is the same map as I posted earlier. There are others out there but we need to dig a bit deeper to find them. Over to you.
Michele,  warrior4MS, mother and champion for Ella, the MSer. The solution is out there we just have to ask the right questions.

Return to “Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency (CCSVI)”