Too Early to Promote CCSVI

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
ClaireParry
Family Elder

Post by ClaireParry »

All I can say is I hope to God that Dr Simka doesn't for some reason stop treatment because people are making life difficult for him before I have a chance to go.

I read reports by Wonky and others and bless you all - you really keep me going.

I'm in the UK and my GP and Neuro are shi*e!

Claire
bestadmom
Family Elder

Post by bestadmom »

Dr. Zivadinov said there will be thousands of papers on CCSVI in the coming years. As more and more researchers (not neurologists) hear about this, they will investigate. We only know of a couple of trials, but there are probably many we aren't aware of. Hopefully they will reach conclusions swiftly.
Algis
Family Elder

Post by Algis »

Claire: I am convinced people like Dr.Simka will never stop unless they are proven wrong.
Last edited by Algis on Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
escape_goat

Post by escape_goat »

I've been following the forums for quite a while and have been very excited and hopeful about CCSVI, but honestly, I feel that sometimes the reaction here to those who would question CCSVI is not entirely reasonable.

It's important in any scientific process that new developments be viewed with at least some skepticism. It's the constant questioning and testing of ideas that fuels new discoveries, helps us weed out the things we take for granted. Zamboni's own skepticism is what allowed him to try something new for MS. His new ideas *should* be questioned and tested thoroughly.

There's nothing wrong with being cautiously optimistic. The hard work of people who brought (and are still bringing) these ideas to doctors and made patients aware of it has been so incredibly important. But the other side of the coin is important too ... There *need* to be people who are skeptical, who urge caution and who flat out say they don't think the theory is correct... Consideration of these points of view will help investigating doctors get to the bottom of this, and we'll *all* benefit from that.
Algis
Family Elder

Post by Algis »

There must be contrary ideas to make the whole thing work; you are (and many others here) right and personally I carefully read each and any idea (I have not much else to do :P ).

One thing that cannot be denied from Dr.Zamboni, Simka and other is that there is proof of stenosis. Now the link between those and MS still to be tested.

I would said thousand of people have been taking drugs (ABC immuno-... and much worse) with no tangible proof whatsoever that it will change a deficient function or organ of theirs.

Those Stenosis exists - up to each of us to decide what to do with them...

My tuppence :)
sbr487
Family Elder

Post by sbr487 »

One more important thing is that more number of countries support it, less the chances of someone trying to block. After all, one would then find it difficult to block the voice of people who are getting benefited by this procedure elsewhere outside ones country.

Remember stem cell research ... few countries had to remove the block since this was legal in lot of eastern countries and they were making good progress on this front.
Mutley
Family Elder

Re: open minded

Post by Mutley »

mohzi wrote:But have never read any of the papers
Perhaps you could go and read Zamboni's papers then and see if you still feel the same way about your opening list of comments?
Mutley goes to Poland 1st symptom was Optic Neuritis in 1998, DX RRMS Jan 2001, DX SPMS 2007. Last EDSS by doctor 7.5
mohzi
Family Member

Post by mohzi »

I am very open minded about it and excited. But have never read any of the papers, nor comments from the doctors involved that it is a cure.
Is actually my direct quote from a prior post.
ClaireParry
Family Elder

Post by ClaireParry »

I'm sure you are right Algis.

I hope the bureaucratic red tape that exists here is not evident in Poland.

I'm so excited by the whole thing!!
Mutley
Family Elder

Post by Mutley »

mohzi wrote:I am very open minded about it and excited. But have never read any of the papers, nor comments from the doctors involved that it is a cure.
Is actually my direct quote from a prior post.
Forgive me, but have you read the papers or not?

If you have then I can't understand why you seem to think that people are being given false hope?
Mutley goes to Poland 1st symptom was Optic Neuritis in 1998, DX RRMS Jan 2001, DX SPMS 2007. Last EDSS by doctor 7.5
Sharon
Family Elder

Post by Sharon »

prof8 wrote
Not everyone has to or is capable of stepping up to the plate right away. We should respect all choices, including people who feel they want to wait a year. I see Dake next week and will get tested, but may decide to postpone surgery to see how the Buffalo study plays out and whether the stent technique can be perfected.
Absolutely, we should respect all choices and that includes those of us who have had the stent procedure.

Sharon
mohzi
Family Member

Have read the papers in detail

Post by mohzi »

I have read the papers of Dr. Zamboni and others regarding stenosis in detail. The ones I have read, repeatedly say more research is needed and a lot of different questions need answered.

As I said before, I would love to get the procedure done if further research on a mass scale is done. It is fortunate that a lot of research doctors are working on a lot of different issues regarding MS. CCSVI is promising, but as Dr. Zamboni has said, "it is in an experimental phase." He has said that as recently as last week.

If the trials in Buffalo with more than 1000 people hold Dr. Zamboni's theory up, trust me, I would run to get angioplasty or stents. After the procedure I would still take my meds, until research tells me not too.

I am excited about the research going on. Over the last 3 and half years I have just heard so many "cures" for MS, I refuse to get too excited until
the research is done on a mass scale.

Again, only a handful of people are trained to find the stenosis. I have a Doppler of my Jugular veins that say no stenosis. This was done three years ago. My gut feeling is the person did not have the right equipment or was not trained like the few people are that can find CCSVI. I support anyones decision to go forward with whatever they do.

Treatment decisions are a very personal choice.
jr5646
Family Elder

Post by jr5646 »

prof8 wrote:
Sharon wrote:I am not sure what waiting a year is going to do. New treatment methods have to be used on patients, not the little mice. At some point in time real people have to step up to the plate. This has been true with all the drugs that have been tested in Phase 1 thru Phase 3 trials -- you have to have people!!
Sharon
Not everyone has to or is capable of stepping up to the plate right away. We should respect all choices, including people who feel they want to wait a year. I see Dake next week and will get tested, but may decide to postpone surgery to see how the Buffalo study plays out and whether the stent technique can be perfected.
If all you want is tested, why don't you just enroll in the Buffalo study and let me go to Stanford in your place :D I'll be more than happy to step up to the plate !!!!!!! I totally agree with Sharon..
ClaireParry
Family Elder

Post by ClaireParry »

If you don't mind mohzi, where and why did you have a Doppler of your Jugular Veins??

Just interested and being nosey!!
ClaireParry
Family Elder

Post by ClaireParry »

p.s I have just mailed Dr Simka. I eagerly await his reply..........