Should I still fly out today to see Dr. Dake?

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.

Should I still fly out today to see Dr. Dake?

Postby prof8 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:25 pm

I'm supposed to leave in 4 hours for the airport. I am starting to wonder if it is even worth going. What do you think? I mean what's the point of finding out what's wrong if it cannot be treated? In other words will it just cause more stress and disappointment if I actually know what is wrong...as opposed to just not knowing. Maybe all the politics surrounding this Is anxiety provoking??
User avatar
prof8
Family Elder
 
Posts: 189
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:00 pm

Postby ozarkcanoer » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:32 pm

prof8... that is a tough decision. I was scheduled for Dr Haacke's protocol on Dec 7 but it was postponed. I thought that even just KNOWING I had stenosis or a lot of iron would help me even if I couldn't get the procedure right away. Now I have to wait to get rescheduled. And whenever it is, my husband and I are going to go to Detroit.

ozarkcanoer
User avatar
ozarkcanoer
Family Elder
 
Posts: 1273
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:00 pm
Location: St. Louis, Missouri

Postby LR1234 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:35 pm

I would get the testing done, At least you have something to show your neuros and vascular specialists in your area if something is found.
LR1234
Family Elder
 
Posts: 1501
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:00 pm
Location: California

Postby CureIous » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:39 pm

I certainly wouldn't walk away from the opportunity while it is presenting itself. These types of scans and consults are going to be difficult to set up in the future. Not to mention the wait times.

Absolutely if it were me I would go for it.

Mark
RRMS Dx'd 2007, first episode 2004. Bilateral stent placement, 3 on left, 1 stent on right, at Stanford August 2009. Watch my operation video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwc6QlLVtko, Virtually symptom free since, no relap
User avatar
CureIous
Family Elder
 
Posts: 1202
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:00 pm
Location: Riverside, CA

Re: Should I still fly out today to see Dr. Dake?

Postby patientx » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:40 pm

prof8 wrote:I'm supposed to leave in 4 hours for the airport. I am starting to wonder if it is even worth going. What do you think? I mean what's the point of finding out what's wrong if it cannot be treated? In other words will it just cause more stress and disappointment if I actually know what is wrong...as opposed to just not knowing. Maybe all the politics surrounding this Is anxiety provoking??


Prof,

I would let others respond to you, but it looks like the clock is ticking, so I thought I would weigh in.

If the cost of the appointment, airfare, time off, etc. isn't a hardship, I think I would still go. If nothing else, you will visit the center of the CCSVI action, so to speak, and get to meet with the doctor who has been looking at this for the past several months. Also, you will come away with some scans, that you could use in case you are able to get treatment in the near future.

So, just going for diagnostic purposes would probably be useful. But, given that you won't get any treatment, if you feel the time and money could be better spent, I would cancel.

Just my opinion.
User avatar
patientx
Family Elder
 
Posts: 1066
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:00 pm

Postby ErikaSlovakia » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:41 pm

prof8,
YES.
Erika
Aug. 7, 09 Doppler Ultras. in Poland, left Jugul. valve problem, RRMS since 1996, now SPMS,
- Nov.3,09: one stent in the left jug. vein in Katowice, Poland, LDN, never on DMDs
- Jan. 19, 11: control venography in Katowice - negative but I feel worse
ErikaSlovakia
Family Elder
 
Posts: 1123
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:00 pm
Location: Slovakia, Europe

Postby Johnson » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:47 pm

I would add to the unanimity, and say go for it. You will know exactly what you are up against at least. You've already got your tickets, etc. Get the scans, you'll have a "base line", and you will get a few days of California vibe. 'A change is as good as a rest', or so it is said.
My name is not really Johnson. MSed up since 1993
User avatar
Johnson
Family Elder
 
Posts: 979
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:00 pm
Location: Ucluluet, BC

Postby Rokkit » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:52 pm

I would go for it. I can't help but think having gone through the eval/consult might help insure you get in the trial.
Rokkit
Family Elder
 
Posts: 669
Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 3:00 pm

Postby prof8 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:29 pm

Thanks everyone! I think the ups and downs of this whole thing (since I've been waiting since Aug.), getting the call from Alex yesterday, and then reading about the negative reaction of the neuros at Stanford made me hesitate for a moment. But you are right...I should go for sure. And yes Johnson, I will soak up the California vibe. I used to live there and miss it a lot!
User avatar
prof8
Family Elder
 
Posts: 189
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:00 pm

Postby Johnnymac » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:32 pm

good for you! have a safe and wonderful trip, many people will be thinking about you!

Cheers,
John
User avatar
Johnnymac
Family Elder
 
Posts: 213
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:00 pm

Postby mormiles » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:35 pm

GO !!!!! Stop pussy-footin' around and get the "ammunition" you need for your MS fight.
Joyce (aka cypriane)~caregiver and advocate in Dallas for Steve (SPMS)----"Enter through the narrowgate..."
mormiles
Family Elder
 
Posts: 215
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: 75098

Postby CureIous » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:57 pm

mormiles wrote:GO !!!!! Stop pussy-footin' around and get the "ammunition" you need for your MS fight.


teehee
RRMS Dx'd 2007, first episode 2004. Bilateral stent placement, 3 on left, 1 stent on right, at Stanford August 2009. Watch my operation video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwc6QlLVtko, Virtually symptom free since, no relap
User avatar
CureIous
Family Elder
 
Posts: 1202
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:00 pm
Location: Riverside, CA

Postby prof8 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:07 pm

Well, I'm waiting in the airport now and the *$&# plane is late!
User avatar
prof8
Family Elder
 
Posts: 189
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:00 pm

Postby Johnson » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:08 pm

Situation Normal, huh?
My name is not really Johnson. MSed up since 1993
User avatar
Johnson
Family Elder
 
Posts: 979
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:00 pm
Location: Ucluluet, BC

Postby CRHInv » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:15 pm

I am glad you are going. Let us know what you find.
dx 4/09 * Stanford appointment 11/09/09 * One stent left, low jugular 11/10/09!<br />One year from treatment, I have my life back.  Placebo schmebo.
User avatar
CRHInv
Family Elder
 
Posts: 402
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:00 pm
Location: Chandler, AZ

Next

Return to Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency (CCSVI)

 


  • Related topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users


Contact us | Terms of Service