MRV & Doppler Ultrasound in Canada?

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
C3Glo
Family Member

MRV & Doppler Ultrasound in Canada?

Post by C3Glo »

I am new to this site & have spent some time reading the posts, but it is all a little overwhelming to me! ... This question may have been addressed already on here & if it has I appologise! I am just wondering if anyone knows where someone in Canada can go to get a MRV or Doppler Ultrasound test done??? Does anyone even know HOW to do them properly here in Canada? From my understanding it needs to be done a particular way & many are not trained to do it ... Any information anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated!!!! Thanks! :D
fiddler
Family Elder

Blog

Post by fiddler »

Hi C3Glo,
I think that the clinic in Vancouver is the only one offering those - but I don't know if they really know how to do it properly. There is info on it in my blog (www.my-darn-ms.blogspot.com), but Johnson (on this site) may have an update on that.
...Ted
Dx SPMS in 2004.  Liberated 29/04/2010.
My blog: www.my-darn-ms.blogspot.com
C3Glo
Family Member

Post by C3Glo »

Hi Ted,

If there is a place in Vancouver doing it ... it would be amazing as I live just outside Vancouver ... if you or anyone else has any further info regarding the place in Vancouver & if they know what they are doing it would be greatly appreciated!!!! I will check out your blog for more info!

Thanks again!!!
Glo
jewelia
Getting to Know You...

Post by jewelia »

You can call Tel: 1-877-871-4315( Toll Free) and speak to Yasmeem Sayeed about the testing. It is being done at the False Creek Surgical Center in Vancouver according to the CCSVI protocols.
Apparently, early next year it will be available in Gatineau, Quebec as well.
Johnson
Family Elder

Post by Johnson »

C3Glo wrote:Hi Ted,

If there is a place in Vancouver doing it ... it would be amazing as I live just outside Vancouver ... if you or anyone else has any further info regarding the place in Vancouver & if they know what they are doing it would be greatly appreciated!!!! I will check out your blog for more info!

Thanks again!!!
Glo
I can tell you a fair bit. I'll be back later.
My name is not really Johnson. MSed up since 1993
C3Glo
Family Member

Post by C3Glo »

Great ... I'd love to here it so ... come back!!! :D
Johnson
Family Elder

Post by Johnson »

False Creek Surgical Centre in Vancouver is doing the Doppler Ultra-sound (not trans-cranial) and the MRV/MRI according to Zamboni/Simka/Haake protocols. Originally, they were charging $2070 CDN for the MRV, and $499 for the ultra-sound, or $2300 for both. They are now offering this:
Hi Everyone. False Creek has decided to lower the price. Here is the new pricing.

"We have decided to adjust the prices for the MS patients. The new prices are as follows:

MRV and Ultrasound $1950
MRV only $1600
Ultrasound only $499 "

Yasmeen Sayeed. B.Sc, DHM, MBA

President & CEO

Surgical Tourism Canada Inc.

17425-64th avenue

Surrey. BC. V3S1Y8

Tel: 1-877-871-4315( Toll Free) , 604-575-4316

Fax: 778-574-7253

Email: ysayeed@surgicaltourism.ca

Web: www.surgicaltourism.ca

That is about $350 off the original price, and if you cannot get a doctor's requisition, FCSC has a staff doctor who will give the requisition, and you can get the scans the same day. That doctor consult is being offered for free to MS patients. They are either being compassionate, or have a good business sense. Hey, why not try for an even better discount?

If you are in the Lower Mainland, or even BC-centric, you can call for yourself and book the consult and scan (they are doing the scans Wed,. Thurs. Fri.), or if you are from out of town, and need assistance with travel/accommodation/appointments reservations, you can contact Yasmeen Sayeed at the info. above. Yasmeen has been more than helpful, and is trying to line up surgery options in India and Germany. She can make all of the arrangements, and I encourage any who might need assistance to contact her.

False Creek Surgical Centre:

6th Floor - 555 West 8th Ave
Vancouver, B.C.
Canada V5Z 1C6
info@nationalsurgery.com
TEL 604.739.9695
FAX 604.709.9676
TF 800.815.9338

http://www.nationalsurgery.com/fcsc.html

FCSC is a division of National Surgery, and they have a facility (The Maples) in Winnipeg as well, though I do not know if they are getting involved yet. They will...

This is a private facility, and to the best of my knowledge, provincial health care plans do not cover it.

Once we have the evidence of jugular stenosis in our hands, we need to go to doctors and demand that we have our venous problems dealt with immediately. Do not mention MS to your doctor, or they will likely refer you to a neurologist, or your local MS clinic - either of which does not likely want to talk about it until after years of "trials and studies" are complete. That, in my view, is the wrong direction to take.

I hope that gets you pointed in some direction, or other...

Best of luck!
C3Glo
Family Member

Post by C3Glo »

WOW!!!! This information is AMAZING for me ... I live so close & I will call on Monday & see what I find out! Thank you so much for passing on this info & your time! I will post any info I find out when I call ... I am looking forward to getting these scans done ASAP!!! Thank you again!
Johnson
Family Elder

Post by Johnson »

It is a pleasure C3Glo. You go, and let us know how it works out.
Jaguar
Family Member

Post by Jaguar »

They are performing dopplers at St. Mary's Hospital in Montreal (Michael Baranyi). I'm waiting now for the MRV
Billmeik
Family Elder

Post by Billmeik »

does anyone know how many they have done?

I am booked to have it next week but I'd like to hear that someone got it done successfully first...
Billmeik
Family Elder

Post by Billmeik »

does anyone know how many they have done?

I am booked to have it next week but I'd like to hear that someone got it done successfully first...
C3Glo
Family Member

Post by C3Glo »

Has anyone gone to False Creek Surgical Ceter in Vancouver to have the MRV & Ultrasound done??? What were your results? Did you feel like they knew what they were doing? I am thinking of going there to get it done & want to make sure they know what they are doing. From my understanding there needs to be specialized training to do the scans properly. If anyone can give me some info I'd appreciate it! I'm calling them on Monday!!!!
81Charger
Family Elder

Post by 81Charger »

Hi Jaguar,

How much are they charging at St Mary's in Montreal?

I'm in N.B so I could drive that far.

Is the MRV good or do we also need a doppler?

Thanks Glenn
Jaguar
Family Member

Post by Jaguar »

81Charger
St Mary's Hospital doesn't charge. They have started a study of CCSVI - started with Dopplers, MRVs haven't started yet. I'm waiting - could be a couple of months! I'll pay for one in January if I don't get from St Mary's or the Montreal Neuro.

St Mary's only just started the Dopplers last week.