MRV - is contrast dye absolutely necessary?

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
SaintLouis
Family Elder

MRV - is contrast dye absolutely necessary?

Post by SaintLouis »

Hello,

I've been following CCSVI with much interest. I wondered if anyone knows whether the protocol (MRV) requires dye? I don't tolerate that well when I've had it for MRI's so would rather not use it for an MRV unless absolutely needed. I know MRV's are done with and without but didn't know if in this what they're looking for requires the dye be used.

Also....does anyone know of any receptive phyisicans or possible studies that may be evolving soon in the Missouri area? I really want to have the testing done but don't want to get it done by just anyone here who may not know what they're doing.

Thanks in advance for any advice or information.
Pepe
Family Elder

Post by Pepe »

Hello,

Last week we have done a MRV in Poland... and the radiologist told me that at the end of the MRV... after seeing the images ... he should have (or not...) to inject dye... In the end he did not inject dye. He said that it was not necesary in my wife's case...
IbRiz
Family Member

Post by IbRiz »

Hi - it can be difficult to see the veines without the dye.

I was in the same MR-scanner as Pepes wife - just the day before, and dye was required in my case.

christian
RRMS Dx'd 2009
jay123
Family Elder

Post by jay123 »

I was told they like to 'follow' the dyes process through the veins. I imagine when it wasn't needed the doc saw an obvious restriction or problem.
IbRiz
Family Member

Post by IbRiz »

jay123 - you're probably right. When I was scanned - it was a replacement
doctor - one with no experience in CCSVI.

The doc we where promised was out of the hospital that day. Luckily we got another...

christian
RRMS Dx'd 2009
JohnAm
Family Member

Post by JohnAm »

IbRiz - is the dye injected into a vein in the arm or into a vein somewhere else ? 8O
IbRiz
Family Member

Post by IbRiz »

The dye is injected into the arm. This was in my case done after about
2/3 of the scanning.

Christian
RRMS Dx'd 2009
Rose2
Family Elder

Post by Rose2 »

In my 10 years of MS and MRIs I have never had an MRI done without contrast. So all of the first, last and inbetween MRIs have always been with and without contrast. They inject the dye into an IV after they are done with the MRIs without the contrast.
I thought there was an option (?) for those allergic or sensitive to the dye.
Maybe there are different types of injectables?
Don't know.
Just my MRI/MRV history.
Rose
whyRwehere
Family Elder

Post by whyRwehere »

The contrast dye used in the MRI was gadolinium (my husband's body did not much like that!). The dye used for his Phlebographie (which is also know as a venography, which I think is an MRV, as I have images from it), was an iodine based dye...he was advised to drink a lot of water to flush it out, but he seemed to take that better, anyhow.
Algis
Family Elder

Post by Algis »

The problem is: some people dont seems to tolerate one or the other - or both - and some (like me thanks) dont feel anything to both.
But you have to try first to know...

Return to “Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency (CCSVI)”