CCSVI screening in NY-7 Tesla MRI machine/NYU research

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
patientx
Family Elder

Post by patientx »

Katie41 wrote:here is an explanation of MRIs, as I understand them. MRIs of the brain pull apart the water molecules. The hydrogen and oxygen molecules then have to work their way back together to reform the water molecule. Each MRI makes it more difficult for them to do that.
This sounds like nonsense. If the MRI did break the covalent bonds between the hydrogen and oxygen in water, I would think you'd have some very immediate detrimental effects in the brain.

MRIs don't work by pulling apart the water molecules. The large field magnetic of the MRI causes nuclei of atoms to align with the field and to start to precess, or spin like a top. Then a radio frequency is applied, at the same frequency of this precession. The effect is to cause the magnetic moment of the nuclei to flip. The RF signal is turned off, and the time it takes the nuclei to return to equilibrium is measured. The precession frequency is different for different atoms; most MRIs look at the hydrogen atom, since water is the most abundnant molecule in human tissue. But the molecules remain intact.

msmything:

I'm interested in what you read about the harmful effects of 7T machines. While I don't buy the previous explanation, I have been wondering if anyone has looked at the possible effects of putting someone in a high strength magnetic field.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: MRI effects

Post by NHE »

patientx wrote:
Katie41 wrote:here is an explanation of MRIs, as I understand them. MRIs of the brain pull apart the water molecules. The hydrogen and oxygen molecules then have to work their way back together to reform the water molecule. Each MRI makes it more difficult for them to do that.
This sounds like nonsense. If the MRI did break the covalent bonds between the hydrogen and oxygen in water, I would think you'd have some very immediate detrimental effects in the brain.
Agreed. I was just wondering where this information came from.

NHE
Katie41
Family Elder

Post by Katie41 »

NHE, I'm working on finding the reference for this information.
In the meantime... I do know how I felt after the first MRI before I knew anything about any possible side effects, and I do know how I felt after polarity treatment for them. I do know how I felt after the 2nd MRI (albiet, after I knew about the possible side effects), and how I felt after polarity treatment for them.

I have grandchildren here for the holidays (ages 2, 4, 5, 6, 11, and 16), so am hunting for the reference in between enjoying them.
shye
Family Elder

Post by shye »

Kati 41-
did you get contrast--gadolinium? that is a metal, takes forever for you body to get rid of it--possibly that is the cause of your discomort.
Last edited by shye on Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shye
Family Elder

Post by shye »

msh-
I'm here in NY, I'll give a go at getting info from NYU--both of us can keep posting, as well as anyone else who is getting info

BUT i don't expect anything really--I got my official diagnosis at the Mt Sinai MS Ctr--(Corinne Goldsmith Center for MS)--they gave me a hard time re my protocol re: vits and daily B12 injections (despite fact they were amazed at how well I was doing), yet of course meds are okay!
AND just rec'd their quarterly info mag--states they are one of the 1st in nation recommended by National MS Society as an affiliated comprehensive care center-- BUT also in the quarterly was a disclaimer re CCSVI: re: Blood flow in the brain and MS
gives a quick recap of theory, the says not enough evidence
"The CGD Center for MS does not currently recommend brain blood flow studies or procedures for our patients. Further studies will need to be conducted" and refers to website of Nat. MS Society ata their research and clinical programs dept