Update on my husband

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.

Postby Johnson » Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:34 pm

Regarding neuro-(re)genesis:

I sent this to an acquaintance who is a psychologist, and is always admonishing me to "give up the weed".

I thought that you might find this abstract on neuro(re)genesis and cannabinoids provocative, if not interesting. I have never believed the old adage that one "can't grow new brain cells". I have never heard anything so ridiculous. I don't care to be provocative, so I will not yammer more... Grin.

Cannabinoids promote embryonic and adult hippocampus neurogenesis and produce anxiolytic- and antidepressant-like effects

http://www.jci.org/articles/view/25509#ABS
My name is not really Johnson. MSed up since 1993
Johnson
Family Elder

Re:

Postby NHE » Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:23 pm

AndrewKFletcher wrote:That statement is so wrong. Dead braincells recover all the time.

The second law of thermodynamics would strongly disagree with that statement. I don't believe in zombies either.

But perhaps you really didn't mean reanimating dead cells. Perhaps you meant the development of new brain cells from stem cells? This is true, especially in the hippocampus. Exercise also increases the development of new brain cells from stem cells. Please refer to the work by Fred Gage of the Salk Instititute (search PubMed).

NHE
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re:

Postby Johnson » Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:37 pm

NHE wrote:
AndrewKFletcher wrote:That statement is so wrong. Dead braincells recover all the time.

The second law of thermodynamics would strongly disagree with that statement. I don't believe in zombies either.

But perhaps you really didn't mean reanimating dead cells. Perhaps you meant the development of new brain cells from stem cells? This is true, especially in the hippocampus. Exercise also increases the development of new brain cells from stem cells. Please refer to the work by Fred Gage of the Salk Instititute (search PubMed).

NHE

Thanks for the laugh, NHE, and for elucidating what I had no hope of.

I do think that Mr. Fletcher meant that new neurons can grow, and take over the abrogated duties of the demised.

With the exercise allusion, I wonder if oxygenation is key. It's a vicious circle: fatigue leads to indolence, which leads to more fatigue... but, at the same time, exercise leads to more reflux, which lends itself to more fatigue...

Bah! Lose-lose.
My name is not really Johnson. MSed up since 1993
Johnson
Family Elder

Postby whyRwehere » Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:24 am

It doesn't bother me, that this is all in this thread, but you might get more traffic and interest if you start a thread about brain cell regeneration.
MERRY CHRISTMAS!!
whyRwehere
Family Elder

Postby AndrewKFletcher » Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:47 am

Good point Whyarewehere

Sorry but had to point out that the brain continually repairs itself, and yes making new cells to repair the damage is what I meant :) The references pointed this out. My poor choice of words.
AndrewKFletcher
Family Elder

Previous

Return to Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency (CCSVI)