Endothelial disrupters - can we start a list?

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
SaintLouis
Family Elder

Endothelial disrupters - can we start a list?

Post by SaintLouis »

I've seen various things mentioned and thought maybe we could start an inclusive list, if only for learning prposes because I'm sure I haven't figured them all out yet. What I believe I've seen so far (question marks follow ones I'm not entirely sure about):

-bacteria
-cortisol
-insulin?
-lack of Vitamin D
-lack of estrogen?
-smoking cigarettes
-saturated fats
-toxins

Anybody esle know of some or if any of these should not be on the list?
cheerleader
Family Elder

Post by cheerleader »

I researched as many endothelial disrupters as I could from online research papers in October 2008, and came up with a long list-

oxidative stress, saturated fats, glucose, sedentary lifestyle, low vitamin D, low vitamin B12, smoking, heavy metals (esp. mercury and cadmium), air pollution (especially diesel exhaust), arsenic and chlorine in water, sleep deprivation, chronic bacterial infections, viruses, over-exposure to electro-magnetic fields, pcbs in plastic. A veritable laundry list of 21st century life.

Here's the paper:
http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=123456602210

cheer
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
dx dual jugular vein stenosis (CCSVI) 4/09
http://ccsviinms.blogspot.com
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Post by lyndacarol »

SaintLouis--Since you have "insulin" on your list, and since I am the "insulin girl" on this website, I have a couple ideas to repeat again:

In response to glucose in the bloodstream (which comes easily from a Western diet high in carbohydrates), the pancreas overcompensates in the amount of insulin it secretes. Excess insulin stiffens and thickens smooth muscles. The walls of blood vessels (both arteries and veins) have smooth muscles.

Cortisol is a glucocorticoid which also stimulates insulin secretion.
SaintLouis
Family Elder

Post by SaintLouis »

Wow, great information, thank you both. I knew I needed to lay off the sugar/carbs - now I'm motivated!

I'm concerned about the chlorine in drinking water issue, that's hard to avoid I think unless I never drink tap water anywhere again.
shye
Family Elder

Post by shye »

Re: Chlorine
one way to get rid of the chlorine is to just let the tap water sit for about 20 minutes--the chlorine gas leaves the water. And get a filter for your shower.
BUT what about all the other junk in our water? Chemicals, drug residues, flouride, etc etc

I have used distilled H2O for years now, sometimes adding a bit of celtic salt to it, in order to avoid all of the above.

I know the cry is to stop buying bottled H2O, and that would be nice-- and feasible IF our tap water was indeed okay to drink. I buy distilled H2O--do have a distiller, but live in a small apt, and it produces too much heat to be comfortable: takes about 5 hours to get the distilled H2O.