I admit that my latest knowledge on this is from end November-mid December, where I spent a lot of time on researching (after the Canadian TV media on Zamboni). After trying to:
- get a doppler in Italy (also with help of my generalist, who asked private labs in my area to do the doppler without result - my neurologist, out of question to get support on this)
- contacting Belfast with (must be political!) reply that they HAVE NEVER DONE IT ??!
- contacting a colleague from Zamboni in Switzerland => who told me to contact Ferrara on his behalf, very kind he wanted to help me, but unfortunately an absurd illusion (I already knew that Ferrara would not do it...)
- and noticing that in US the same tests costed 5 x as much as with Simka, finally decided in December to ask for the exam in Poland.
Why block in Italy? (the conclusions of my Nov findings)
- Zamboni's request to continue research was blocked by an "Ethical Committee" of Ferrara. It seems that there is generally a lot of pharma lobby and neurologist world opposition trying to undermine Zamboni's findings. It is to be noted: the Italian Health Minster's wife is the President of Farmindustria (= italian pharma association) !! And Zamboni got openly criticised by neurologists at the Bologna conference in Sept, and not only there...
- At the start the AISM (Italian MS associoation) was not even supportive as the neurologists (and seems associated pharma) that work with AISM have a big say. But due to enormous MS member pressure over the last months, they now finally also take steps to promote Zamboni. I was furious on their reaction in the start!
What's new in January? - just checked a bit: hey, some things are moving!
Just found the following VERY INTERESTING new data related to Italy on facebook:
17.12.2009 Il Comitato Etico di Ferrara si riunisce per valutare il protocollo sulla CCSVI
22 dicembre 2009 Comitato Scientifico AISM presente il Dr. Zamboni e scienziati italiani e stranieri !!
23.01.2010 Zamboni in Convegno a Vicenza
a marzo 2010 inizieranno i corsi di Zamboni per istruire i suoi colleghi
So it seems in Italy slowly things are finally moving! Lets see what the ethical Committee will decide (or already decided?) and what they will report at the Conference taking place on 23 January. They say in March 2010 Zamboni will start courses to "instruct his colleagues". Oh, I hope so much this is seriously true!
This seems to be in line with what Luca reported in an Italian Forum from an e-mail reply he received from Zamboni. See email reply from Zamboni + Luca's comment below (Zamboni reports that he intends to organise trainings to instruct doctors so that the Ferrara treatment can be expanded also to other hospitals in Italy):
siamo appena usciti dalla fase sperimentale. Da lì il poter estendere il trattamento su larga scala su tutti i pazienti del mondo richiede, come può facilmente immaginare, molto tempo. Quello che faremo sarà organizzare dei training per medici che possano portare il trattamento negli ospedali di provenienza, e, se ce lo permetteranno, di estendere le possibilità di trattamento ampliando il servizio qua a Ferrara. Tenga d'occhio il sito
per avere aggiornamenti su questo.
Probabilmente è talmente oberato di richieste di informazioni che risponde con questa risposta preconfezionata. Non ha risposto alle mie domande ma è stato velocissimo nel rispondermi, meno di 5 minuti....