Australian Research--4 Cases Impaired Venous Drainage

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
Shayk
Family Elder

Australian Research--4 Cases Impaired Venous Drainage

Post by Shayk »

Hi all

There's recognition of CCSVI in Australia and China. Here's a new abstract describing 4 cases of lesions potentially attributed to impaired venous drainage.

Wedge-shaped medullary lesions in multiple sclerosis
The clinical features and MRI characteristics of the medullary lesions suggest an impairment of venous drainage.

We propose that the formation of these wedge-shaped lesions may be related to the pattern of venous drainage in the ventral medulla and raised venous pressure due to chronic cerebrospinal venous insufficiency which has recently been described in MS.
So nice to see the "research" expanding. :)

Take care all (if it applies, stay warm too :wink: )

Sharon
cheerleader
Family Elder

Post by cheerleader »

NICE find, Sharon. Let the research papers begin! This one is dated 2010, and the NEUROLOGY centers involved are:

Centre for Neuromuscular and Neurological disorders, University of Western Australia, Australia

Department of Neurology, Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital, Queen Elizabeth II Medical Centre, Perth, Western Australia, Australia

Department of Neurology, the Third Affiliated Hospital of Sun yat-sen University, Guangzhou, China.

AND the imaging facility:
Neurointerventional and Imaging Services of Western Australia, Perth, Western Australia, Australia

cheer
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
dx dual jugular vein stenosis (CCSVI) 4/09
http://ccsviinms.blogspot.com
ozarkcanoer
Family Elder

Post by ozarkcanoer »

Fantastic !!!!!

ozarkcanoer
Mechanicallyinclined
Family Elder

Post by Mechanicallyinclined »

Good to see that some parts of the neurological field have an open mind!
You're never going to get ahead in this world unless you can accept change.
Brainteaser
Family Elder

Post by Brainteaser »

XX
Last edited by Brainteaser on Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
suze
Family Member

Perth

Post by suze »

Good find Shayk!!

Bill Carroll, Allan Kermode and Prof Mastaglia (pronounced Mastarlia) are all neurologists who do research out of Sir Charles Gardiner Hospital in Perth. I think Prof Mastaglia has semi-retired, but obviously is still involved in research. Bill Carroll has an important role with our MS Society, I think. I know they have been working with scientists in Asia for some time. Apparently pwMS in Asia often have PPMS
Brainteaser
Family Elder

Post by Brainteaser »

XX
Last edited by Brainteaser on Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hwebb
Family Elder

a-ha ! Allan Kermode

Post by hwebb »

I contacted Allan Kermode about ccsvi a month or two ago...but never got a response. Happy to see that he's spending his time researching ccsvi, even if he's not responding to my queries about it!

hwebb
kats
Family Member

Post by kats »

OMG! :D . This sounds really good. Now that this info is on PUB MED what happens next? Do Neuros Look at this site ? Does this potentially mean that there is going to be more testing perhaps in Aust/China? I guess we need to hope that this will get escalated so that more tests be done in our own country /State;
Good going guys keep the new posts /ideas/info coming. :D Great to read all your comments.
Dovechick
Family Elder

Australian news

Post by Dovechick »

Great news that research is being done in more and more places. If only it would happen in the UK.
Michele,  warrior4MS, mother and champion for Ella, the MSer. The solution is out there we just have to ask the right questions.
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

kats wrote:Do Neuros Look at this site ? Does this potentially mean that there is going to be more testing perhaps in Aust/China?
I emailed the link to one of my neuros, and listed the names on the paper. He knows some of them, and has agreed to look into it when he gets back from holidays.
elaine
Family Member

Post by elaine »

i emailed the ms society in WA regarding ccsvi trial an this is the answer i got.
Hi Elaine
the WA trial will start in March when we get the probe needed to do the tests to the same standard as the italian researcher.I wouldn't advise going overseas to have these treatments until the results are substantiated and identify that the theory is true and the procedure will actually help.The procedure is not without risk and the theory needs to be tested more thoroughly to show it is in fact a relevant finding in a broader group of patients.It will be interesting to see the outcome and we will keep people informed once we get updates.
Kind regards
sue
kats
Family Member

Post by kats »

I Hope the Buffolo testing comes thru quick. Does anyone have any idea as to how long it will take to have the results from the 1700 people that are bieng tested? :?:
The more Neuros involved the better chances of getting somewhere with the testing and then hopefully treatments here in Australia and hopefully our own states.
Until then we need to stay positive that this will be the breakthrough we have been waiting for. :)
IbRiz
Family Member

Post by IbRiz »

Hi kats.

The Buffalo site http://www.bnac.net/?page_id=517 says the following:
Currently, enrollment will be closed until late January 2010 in order to evaluate initial study results on first 500 enrolled subjects.
.. so probably it won't take a long. :?: Maybe they will then have evaluated by late January ?

Christian[/quote]
RRMS Dx'd 2009