CCSVI Who pays for research?

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.

CCSVI Who pays for research?

Postby Vonna » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:22 pm

I just put up a video on youtube.

We all have been saying that pharmaceuticals control what happens, but I wanted proof, not just hearsay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5XEILALKws

Also, here a .pdf version of the video, it has lots of links, and can be printed as well.

http://cid-801bae8e9ca9123f.skydrive.li ... -Final.pdf

Please let me know how it works for you.

Thanks!
Vonna
Family Elder

Advertisement

Postby Algis » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:34 pm

I cannot judge the content; but the paper is really well done! you should make a living out of your presentations!

Good work and thanks!
Algis
Family Elder

Re: CCSVI Who pays for research?

Postby frodo » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:23 am

One thing that I often think about is who is responsible of the previous defective research into MS. In fact everybody knew that the blood-brain barrier was disrupted before the attacks and that an autoimmune problem cannot cause that, but nobody was researching this.

The current model of research, is lead by big pharmas. As any other company they look for profit. They really have the right to research only fields that will give them profit back, but then, who is responsible to do the primary research?

Universities and associations should fill this gap, but normally they have less resources to invest, and they work in association with pharmas. Again, they end by researching the same fields than pharmas propose which are not primary research.

Finally if somebody independent does primary research, obviously he cannot afford the same amount of time and resources than the mainstream, and his work will be ignored by the rest.

I really think that the ones that are not doing their work are universities and associations, but nobody can control what they do. Also doctors, because they prescribe blindly, only with the FDA approval (which is required by medicaments, but they do not need FDA approval to prescribe diets or lifestile)

I want to add that since a long time ago the MS research is the opposite of science. Normally an hypothesis is proposed, and then the community works to invalidate it (an hypothesis will never be valid for sure). There is enough information since a long time ago to say that the autoimmune theory is invalid, even if there is immune involvement in the lesions, but nobody wanted to state that clearly by the pharma interest.
frodo
Family Elder

Postby Vonna » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:21 am

Hi Algis,
Thank you for taking the time to check it out, and for the compliment.

Frodo,
Your statements sum up my thoughts very well.

It is associations like the Consortium of Multiple Sclerosis Centers that regulate research about MS. Their goal is to "disseminate" or spread their knowledge on the subject. They are controlled by all the people that make money off MS patients.

Pharmaceuticals control this association, and others like it around the world. They are in it for the money, they have a business plan, and they know how to make it work.

Did you notice that one of the donors listed was the NMSS? Why is the NMSS giving money to these people?

Pharmaceuticals control research because researchers need sponsors!

When I first heard about CCSVI, my gut reaction was, "Wow, something that finally makes sense!"

My next thought was, why in the world didn't someone think of this sooner? It's been right there under the researchers noses for years!

Vonna
Vonna
Family Elder

Postby sbr487 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:07 am

Some of us have been showing our anger on this forum but Vonna has showed how +ve anger can be useful.
Vonna, you seem to be the next Cheerleader in the making.

I am personally disappointed by the policy makers and not so much with the pharma companies. This is clearly a case where they should step in. After all they are supposed to represent common people.
sbr487
Family Elder

Return to Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency (CCSVI)