Calcium free protein powders?

A forum to discuss the Coimbra Protocol which uses high-dose vitamin D3 to treat multiple sclerosis.

Calcium free protein powders?

Postby mrtmeo » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:27 pm

Just wondering if anyone has found a protein powder that doesn't have any calcium in it?
Mother on Rituximab for Microscopic Polyangiitis which attacked the kidneys and lungs.
25(OH) 103 ng/mL
PTH 58 (range 10-65 pg/mL)
stage 3-4 ckd
Emphysema
Not on the Coimbra Protocol yet
mrtmeo
Family Member
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:44 pm

Advertisement

Re: Calcium free protein powders?

Postby AntonioBR » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:50 am

mrtmeo wrote:Just wondering if anyone has found a protein powder that doesn't have any calcium in it?



Hi mrtmeo,

Most protein powders have 20 to 8% of Daily Value of calcium.

A friend of my brother uses NOW Foods - Eggwhite Protein 100% Pure - 1.2 lbs. It contains only 2% Daily Value of calcium.


Link: http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Eggwhite-Protein-1-2-lbs-544-g/547


I don't know any product that has 0% of calcium.
AntonioBR
Family Elder
 
Posts: 171
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:06 am

Re: Calcium free protein powders?

Postby mrtmeo » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:57 pm

AntonioBR wrote:
mrtmeo wrote:Just wondering if anyone has found a protein powder that doesn't have any calcium in it?



Hi mrtmeo,

Most protein powders have 20 to 8% of Daily Value of calcium.

A friend of my brother uses NOW Foods - Eggwhite Protein 100% Pure - 1.2 lbs. It contains only 2% Daily Value of calcium.


Link: http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Eggwhite-Protein-1-2-lbs-544-g/547


I don't know any product that has 0% of calcium.


Hi Antonio,
2% is excellent.
I was looking for something <5%.
Also, it is lower in potassium which makes it good for my mom with glomerulonephrits.
Does your brother mix it with anything that makes it taste better?
Mother on Rituximab for Microscopic Polyangiitis which attacked the kidneys and lungs.
25(OH) 103 ng/mL
PTH 58 (range 10-65 pg/mL)
stage 3-4 ckd
Emphysema
Not on the Coimbra Protocol yet
mrtmeo
Family Member
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:44 pm

Re: Calcium free protein powders?

Postby mrtmeo » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:08 am

I just found Jay Robb's egg protein has 3% Calcium and 24gms of protein, but it is expensive.
It is sweetened with xylitol and stevia.
https://www.luckyvitamin.com/p-134081-j ... aQodu9oOtA
Mother on Rituximab for Microscopic Polyangiitis which attacked the kidneys and lungs.
25(OH) 103 ng/mL
PTH 58 (range 10-65 pg/mL)
stage 3-4 ckd
Emphysema
Not on the Coimbra Protocol yet
mrtmeo
Family Member
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:44 pm

Re: Calcium free protein powders?

Postby AntonioBR » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:28 am

mrtmeo wrote:
AntonioBR wrote:
mrtmeo wrote:Just wondering if anyone has found a protein powder that doesn't have any calcium in it?



Hi mrtmeo,

Most protein powders have 20 to 8% of Daily Value of calcium.

A friend of my brother uses NOW Foods - Eggwhite Protein 100% Pure - 1.2 lbs. It contains only 2% Daily Value of calcium.


Link: http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Eggwhite-Protein-1-2-lbs-544-g/547


I don't know any product that has 0% of calcium.


Hi Antonio,
2% is excellent.
I was looking for something <5%.
Also, it is lower in potassium which makes it good for my mom with glomerulonephrits.
Does your brother mix it with anything that makes it taste better?




He mixes it with homemade Rice Milk (only homemade because rice milk products are often fortified with calcium).

245 grams of Rice Milk has 2%DV of Calcium: http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/custom/2458525/2?quantity=0.33

Just be careful with Arsenic Poisoning in Rice and Protein Powders: https://draxe.com/arsenic-in-rice/


And sometimes he adds cinnamon. However, 1 ounce of cinnamon has 28%DV (daily value) of calcium.


Image
AntonioBR
Family Elder
 
Posts: 171
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:06 am

Re: Calcium free protein powders?

Postby mrtmeo » Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:11 pm

Wow, Cinnamon has 28% calcium.
I try to keep my mom as low carb and grain free as possible.
Grains are just not food.
Mother on Rituximab for Microscopic Polyangiitis which attacked the kidneys and lungs.
25(OH) 103 ng/mL
PTH 58 (range 10-65 pg/mL)
stage 3-4 ckd
Emphysema
Not on the Coimbra Protocol yet
mrtmeo
Family Member
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:44 pm

Re: Calcium free protein powders?

Postby ElliotB » Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:01 am

mrtmeo wrote:Grains are just not food.


Very true! There are two what I consider 'safe' gluten free grains that I eat, quinoa (pronounced keenwa) and buckwheat. Both are gluten free. I eat them in limited amounts and don't seem to have any issues with them. I am on a totally carb free diet except for these two foods.

Although rice is also gluten free, in general I don't consume any. But I guess I could. Rice mixes/flavored rices should be avoided for obvious reasons.
ElliotB
Family Elder
 
Posts: 957
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:08 pm

Re: Calcium free protein powders?

Postby Lionel » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:59 am

The Dr. Swank diet recommends grains and cereals.

He has a lot of scientific studies published about his diet.

There are two videos on youtube that summarize his diet and some studies.

Treating Multiple Sclerosis With the Swank MS Diet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-mvh23M3fU

This Treatment Stops 95% of Multiple Sclerosis Cases?!: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZ5NGLM1k90
Lionel
Family Member
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:02 pm
Location: Argentina

Re: Calcium free protein powders?

Postby ElliotB » Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:29 am

IMHO, any diet that includes gluten should be avoided (I am not a doctor, but have done a lot of research). Any diet that does not include essential fatty acids IMHO should also not be considered as EFAs are, well, essential for good health, which is why they are referred to as essential.

Statistically, around 80% of those afflicted with MS will do reasonably well. Interestingly, just about all diets (including the Swank diet) and protocols and DMDs have similar success rates which to me means they all possibly/probably don't work.


The fact is at this time, no one knows for sure.


One more note about diet, many diets recommend fish like salmon that are high in Omega 3 fats. It is rare that only wild caught fish is being recommended (in fact, I don't think I have ever seen it) for these diets, and there is a tremendous difference in Omega 3 composition between wild caught and farm raised fish (farm raised fish are fed grains). Another interesting fact about diet is that grass fed meats are high in Omega 3 fats and are likely just as healthy as wild caught fish. Grain fed meats, like farm raised fish, should be avoided. These animals were not meant to consume grains. Yet grass fed meats are rarely recommended and meat is generally frowned upon. Grass fed meats contain a tremendous amount of nutrition our bodies need.
ElliotB
Family Elder
 
Posts: 957
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:08 pm

Re: Calcium free protein powders?

Postby mrtmeo » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:39 am

ElliotB wrote:IMHO, any diet that includes gluten should be avoided (I am not a doctor, but have done a lot of research). Any diet that does not include essential fatty acids IMHO should also not be considered as EFAs are, well, essential for good health, which is why they are referred to as essential.

Statistically, around 80% of those afflicted with MS will do reasonably well. Interestingly, just about all diets (including the Swank diet) and protocols and DMDs have similar success rates which to me means they all possibly/probably don't work.


The fact is at this time, no one knows for sure.


One more note about diet, many diets recommend fish like salmon that are high in Omega 3 fats. It is rare that only wild caught fish is being recommended (in fact, I don't think I have ever seen it) for these diets, and there is a tremendous difference in Omega 3 composition between wild caught and farm raised fish (farm raised fish are fed grains). Another interesting fact about diet is that grass fed meats are high in Omega 3 fats and are likely just as healthy as wild caught fish. Grain fed meats, like farm raised fish, should be avoided. These animals were not meant to consume grains. Yet grass fed meats are rarely recommended and meat is generally frowned upon. Grass fed meats contain a tremendous amount of nutrition our bodies need.


I agree with what you are saying Elliot and Drs know nothing about diet, so you don't have to be dr to recommend diets.
When cows eat grains it changes the PH of their rumen which invites pathogens.

There are only 3 foods, Protein, Fat and Fiber.
There is no known disease due to lack of carbohydrate intake, but you will die if you don't get protein or fat.
Fiber feeds good bacteria.
The brain does need glucose, but any extra protein that the organs and tissues don't use, will be converted to glucose in the liver via gluconeogenesis.
Fat is the only thing that satiates.

However, I saw this study on rats that low calcium, high fructose diet prevents hyperinsulinemia.
I don't understand the mechanisms that make this work.
https://nutritionandmetabolism.biomedce ... 015-0035-0

I'm sure all the sugar would eventually invite many pathological process, but the way the body handles this situation may link to the coimbra protocol some how.
Mother on Rituximab for Microscopic Polyangiitis which attacked the kidneys and lungs.
25(OH) 103 ng/mL
PTH 58 (range 10-65 pg/mL)
stage 3-4 ckd
Emphysema
Not on the Coimbra Protocol yet
mrtmeo
Family Member
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:44 pm

Re: Calcium free protein powders?

Postby mrtmeo » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:49 am

I found another low calcium 3% protein powder that is organic called Sun Warrior Blend.

http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/p/warrior- ... 9WKhO2Vshc
Mother on Rituximab for Microscopic Polyangiitis which attacked the kidneys and lungs.
25(OH) 103 ng/mL
PTH 58 (range 10-65 pg/mL)
stage 3-4 ckd
Emphysema
Not on the Coimbra Protocol yet
mrtmeo
Family Member
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:44 pm

Re: Calcium free protein powders?

Postby Lionel » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:08 am

I understand your point.

But, Dr. Roy Swank diet and Dr. George Jelinek diet are the most recognized diet to treat Multiple Sclerosis. And both diets recommend grains and cereals. And low consumption of saturated fats.

Dr. Swank: http://www.swankmsdiet.org/the-diet/

Swank's diet most effect peer-reviewed treatment: http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article/asset?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0106335.PDF

Overcoming Multiple Sclerosis: The Evidence-Based 7 Step Recovery Program: https://www.amazon.com/Overcoming-Multiple-Sclerosis-Evidence-Based-Recovery/dp/1760112550/
Lionel
Family Member
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:02 pm
Location: Argentina

Re: Calcium free protein powders?

Postby mrtmeo » Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:20 pm

Lionel wrote:I understand your point.

But, Dr. Roy Swank diet and Dr. George Jelinek diet are the most recognized diet to treat Multiple Sclerosis. And both diets recommend grains and cereals. And low consumption of saturated fats.

Dr. Swank: http://www.swankmsdiet.org/the-diet/

Swank's diet most effect peer-reviewed treatment: http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article/asset?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0106335.PDF

Overcoming Multiple Sclerosis: The Evidence-Based 7 Step Recovery Program: https://www.amazon.com/Overcoming-Multiple-Sclerosis-Evidence-Based-Recovery/dp/1760112550/


I'm sorry Lionel, but the Swank diet screams fatty liver to me just my opinion.
I suffered gallstones for years until I went lowcarb and eventually did 14 liver flushes to flush out over 1,200 cholesterol balls from my liver and gallbladder from eating grains all my life.
Grains cause an opiate-like response in the brain and is more like a drug IMHO.
If a person already has compromised liver, the swank diet might make them feel better, but doesn't solve the problem.
Fats like the motor oils they use in commercial foods should never be consumed.
They get stuck in the abdominal Omentum and the liver, so the body can't get rid of it.
Also, animal fats from CAFO (Confined Animal Feeding Operations) animals should never be eaten either.
Organic, grassfed/pastured animal meats are best.
Mother on Rituximab for Microscopic Polyangiitis which attacked the kidneys and lungs.
25(OH) 103 ng/mL
PTH 58 (range 10-65 pg/mL)
stage 3-4 ckd
Emphysema
Not on the Coimbra Protocol yet
mrtmeo
Family Member
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:44 pm

Re: Calcium free protein powders?

Postby AntonioBR » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:28 am

mrtmeo wrote:Wow, Cinnamon has 28% calcium.
I try to keep my mom as low carb and grain free as possible.
Grains are just not food.



Hi mrtmeo,

I agree with you about grains.

I and my brother, we don't eat grains too.


I was saying that a vegetarian friend of my brother takes protein powders with rice Milk. He has MS for 9 years now. Second his plant-based diet recommendations rice milk is ok (Although I disagree with).
AntonioBR
Family Elder
 
Posts: 171
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:06 am

Re: Calcium free protein powders?

Postby mrtmeo » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:09 am

AntonioBR wrote:
mrtmeo wrote:Wow, Cinnamon has 28% calcium.
I try to keep my mom as low carb and grain free as possible.
Grains are just not food.



Hi mrtmeo,

I agree with you about grains.

I and my brother, we don't eat grains too.


I was saying that a vegetarian friend of my brother takes protein powders with rice Milk. He has MS for 9 years now. Second his plant-based diet recommendations rice milk is ok (Although I disagree with).


I don't think there is anything else other than rice to make a milk except making your own nut milks.
However, I don't know how much calcium ends up in homemade nut milks.
Mother on Rituximab for Microscopic Polyangiitis which attacked the kidneys and lungs.
25(OH) 103 ng/mL
PTH 58 (range 10-65 pg/mL)
stage 3-4 ckd
Emphysema
Not on the Coimbra Protocol yet
mrtmeo
Family Member
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:44 pm


Return to Coimbra High-Dose Vitamin D Protocol

 


  • Related topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users


Contact us | Terms of Service