Dr. Coimbra Protocol

A forum to discuss the Coimbra Protocol which uses high-dose vitamin D3 to treat multiple sclerosis.
Kittie
Family Elder

Re: Dr. Coimbra Protocol

Post by Kittie »

I must admit it entered my head but the Doctor seems to know what he is doing. He says this has happened loads of times to many of his patients. If it wasn't for him I would probably have given up already. This protocol is not as simple as you think and you need someone who knows what he, or she, is doing. I think sometimes when people talk about their experience they forget what they have gone through to get there. This is why I am doing this. You do sometimes forget the things you go through.

Kittie.
AntonioBR
Family Elder

Post by AntonioBR »

Kittie wrote:Hi, I havn't posted for a few days because I was trying to fathom out what has been wrong with me.
Sunday evening my right leg was dragging more than it has been. I was okay Monday, but not as good as I had been.
Kittie

IMHO I don't think that the symptoms that you have been feeling lately (with your hand and leg) are related to vitamin D dose. Usually, vitamin D does not cause these kinds of problems.

Otherwise, hypercalcemia may be a real problem related to vit. D dose
Kittie wrote:I had a rough night and woke up in the early hours feeling sick, faint, palpitations and generally poorly. When I got up this morning I felt rough and drank three glasses of water, which seemed to help.

It seems to be related with hypercalcemia like NHE said.

Of course, the guideline is to follow your doctor's recommendations. But at the same time it's important to be aware what the Patient's guide says about it:

15. ADJUSTING THE DAILY DOSE OF CHOLECALCIFEROL Adjusting the dose of vitamin D (Cholecalciferol) - according to the specific needs of each patient - is done by the physician in the appointment (recommended after 2 months after start of treatment), through tests results comparison (blood and urine) collected before the start of the treatment (first round of tests) with the tests results (also blood and urine) collected during the treatment of at least 2 months (second round of tests). Both pathology requests (containing a complete tests list) are delivered to the patient or to the family member at the first appointment with the doctor. In other words, the interval between the beginning of treatment and the collection of the second round of tests may not be less than 2 months so that the adjustment calculation of daily doses for the patient's specific needs does not get compromised; during the first 2 months after the treatment's beginning or after the adjustment of Cholecalciferol daily doses the vitamin D levels are not stabilized yet (they are still raising), therefore blood and urine tests collection are not adequate before this period, except if THIRST happens, then test on calcium in the urine will be done independently from the other tests (SEE BELOW). On the other hand, you must allow at least 1 month from the last collection of tests until the appointment date for evaluation of these tests to ensure that all the tests will be ready on the date of the second appointment

23. During the treatment, the patient should pay special attention to the symptom of excessive thirst, because thirst may indicate that the calcium is being eliminated in excessive quantity in the urine, putting in risk the renal function.
Firstly, the patient must differentiate the real thirst from "dry mouth" sensation, which can occur due to the low humidity of the air, or in association with periods of stress, among other causes. In the case of thirst the patient needs to consume a quantity of liquids well above their standard to obtain relief of discomfort (quench). In the "dry mouth" case (which can occur, for example, due to the low relative humidity of the air or temporarily in a situation of emotional stress), the discomfort disappears with a "wet" mouth, not being necessary to swallow water. In case, of excessive and persistent thirst the patient has a need to take several glasses of water to feel satiated.

24. As thirst may be caused by other factors (such as the intake of salted foods, for example), there is no other way to clarify its cause except through total calcium measure eliminated in the urine collected over 24 hours ( " 24-hour calcium urine test") using one of the forms that are provided by the physician on the occasion of your appointment.

25. In the event of excessive THIRST (not "dry mouth" ), the patient should use the Calcium-Urine 24 hours form that was delivered during their appointment and show it to the lab staff, who will then supply a bottle for urine collection. Normally, the first urine is not used (and eliminated in toilet), then all the urine over the next 24 hours must be collected. While the urine is being collected, the daily dose of Cholecalciferol should not be changed, because, if it is suspended or reduced (before or during the collection of the urine) the result of the examination would no longer represent what was occurring with the urinary calcium in response to daily dose that was been taken.

Read the full guide here - it's very important: http://www.thisisms.com/forum/coimbra-h ... 28976.html

One patient had problems with magnesium
(I'm not saying that it's related to what's happening with you): http://www.thisisms.com/forum/coimbra-h ... ml#p250973

NHE wrote:OK. That's good that you're going to get your blood checked. I have a friend that was trying to follow the Coimbra Protocol and became hypercalcemic. They had to be hospitalized to treat it.

NHE
Do you know if your friend was following the protocol with a certified doctor?
Kittie
Family Elder

Post by Kittie »

Thank you for all the information. I had thought about the calcium levels and I checked the symptoms. I had none of these and my thirst levels are normal. My three glasses of water yesterday morning was to clear anything out of my stomach that might be affecting it. On my original blood test the serum calcium was 2.51 mmol/L in the range of 2.20-2.60mmol/L. At the time of this blood test I had been on 5,000iu D3 for 4 weeks and 10,000iu D3 for 1 week.

I didn't take any Magnesium Citrate yesterday. I still felt 'sickly' during the day. I had a good night and slept right through. 38,000iu yesterday and also today unless Dr. Cawley contacts me to say any different. I will text him this morning to let him know how I feel.

This morning I feel fine. The magnesium citrate that I was taking was Nu U 200mg. This was one that I was already taking and not the one recommended by Dr. Cawley.

Kittie.
Kittie
Family Elder

Post by Kittie »

Still feeling better. I took 40,000iu yesterday after I text the doctor. I will do the same today and text him. Maybe go up further?

I had my first normal bowel movement today, nothing yesterday.

Kittie.
Kittie
Family Elder

Post by Kittie »

Michael Cawley said to up the dose 2,000iu. today.

Actually today I carried a pint pot of water upstairs with my right hand. I had done it without thinking and my right hand felt strong. This is to remind me that it happened and when.

Kittie.
Kittie
Family Elder

Post by Kittie »

Yesterday I took 42,000iu after text from Dr.Michael Cawley.
Today, Monday, I am taking 44,000iu over the day 24,000iu this morning then 10,000iu lunchtime and 10,000iu dinner time. Still no Magnesium Citrate. I am taking the Carlson Super DHA now too. 1,000mg DHA.

I am feeling well and back to where I was before. Hopefully this will carry on.

Kittie.
Kittie
Family Elder

Post by Kittie »

Today, Tuesday, I am taking 46,000iu. Still feeling well. I am taking 26K this morning, 10K lunchtime and 10K dinner time. Again no Magnesium Citrate.

Onward and upward.

Kittie.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

AntonioBR wrote:
NHE wrote:OK. That's good that you're going to get your blood checked. I have a friend that was trying to follow the Coimbra Protocol and became hypercalcemic. They had to be hospitalized to treat it.

NHE
Do you know if your friend was following the protocol with a certified doctor?
They had the guidance of a medical doctor. I'm not familiar with the doctor's specific training.
Kittie
Family Elder

Post by Kittie »

Today, Wednesday, I am taking 48,000iu. Still feeling well and still taking neural magtein and ionic magnesium but not the Nu U magnesium citrate. My right hand has remained 'relaxed' and even my left hand has felt a little less 'active'. I hope you know what I mean. No improvement with my walking though. My balance still far better than it was and energy levels good.

Kittie.
Kittie
Family Elder

Post by Kittie »

Today, Thursday, still well and going for 50,000iu. 30k breakfast, 10K lunch and 10K dinner time.

Kittie.
Kittie
Family Elder

Post by Kittie »

Yesterday, Thursday, not so good. My right third finger, next to the lttle one, fell down. I couldn't lift it up. A little sickly in the morning also. Michael Cawley said to go down 2,000K so my lunchtime and dinner amounts were altered. 48K altogether. As the day went on I felt okay but my finger dropped until the end of the day when I could lift it with the others.

This morning I have taken 26K and will take 12K lunchtime and either 10K or 12K dinner time. I am going to text Michael Cawley now to see what to do.

Kittie.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

The high dose Vitamin D Protocol, if it works for you, is typically a long term process and you can expect fluctuations in how you feel on a day to day basis, but over the long term (weeks and months), you should see a general trend in improvement. Maybe AntoinioBR can post information on the typical time frames for improvement.

In any case, glad to hear it appears to be helping you already/so quickly! Glad to know you appear to have some immediate improvement and am, of course looking forward to reading more positive news from you!
Kittie
Family Elder

Post by Kittie »

Hi, Elliot,

I really didn't expect anything to happen but I do feel a lot better than I was. My daughter today said when I hold on to her it isn't as heavy as it normally is. I walk a lot stronger too. I hate to say anything as I do not want to get anyone's hopes up. I was reading today about a girl who has just been given the all clear from Dr. Coimbra and her symptoms slowly improved after 5 to 6 months on the high dose. That is what I am hoping for. Hearing this really helps people to keep going and not to give up.

I am trying to find the right amount of D3 that my body accepts. I asked Michael Cawley if it made any difference spreading the amounts of vit D3 over the day and he said "Usually it does not matter". I wasn't sure whether to add the 2K on the end or not and make it 50K. I decided to add it and see what happens. We will see tomorrow. Maybe it was just an off day.

Kittie.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

The small differences in your daily dosage are likely insignificant, just be patient as the results from this protocol typically occur over the long term.
Kittie
Family Elder

Post by Kittie »

Last night when I went to bed I had some palpitations and a strong heart beat. I turned over and eventually went to sleep. I awoke two hours later absolutely 'hot'. Like my engine had overheated and I had to wait quite a while to cool down with all covers off . It was cold last night. I felt the bed where I had been lying and it was still really hot. This also happened when I took 60K. It makes you feel quite ill. You wouldn't think that extra 2K would make a difference. Twice now I have had the same reaction.

Today I am taking 48K and maybe tomorrow 46K. That is probably where I will stay.

Kittie.

Return to “Coimbra High-Dose Vitamin D Protocol”