Dr. Coimbra Protocol

A forum to discuss the Coimbra Protocol which uses high-dose vitamin D3 to treat multiple sclerosis.

Dr. Coimbra Protocol

Postby Kittie » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:08 am

I would like to hear from anyone on this protocol. I am just about to start.

Kittie.
Kittie
Family Member
 
Posts: 61
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:53 am

Advertisement

Re: Dr. Coimbra Protocol

Postby AntonioBR » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:42 pm

Kittie wrote:I would like to hear from anyone on this protocol. I am just about to start.

Kittie.



Hi Kittie,

My brother has MS and he is following this protocol for more than 2 years now. Fortunately, he is doing great.

(Of course, everyone is different. But it definitively worth a try)

You can find more testimonials here: http://www.thisisms.com/forum/coimbra-high-dose-vitamin-d-protocol-f57/topic27155.html

It is extremely important to find a Coimbra Protocol certified doctor to guide you on this treatment.


Do you have MS?
AntonioBR
Family Elder
 
Posts: 500
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:06 am

Re: Dr. Coimbra Protocol

Postby Kittie » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:30 pm

Hi,

Yes I have MS. I have had it for over 40 years and still walking (just about). I have been taking D3 5,000 for five weeks and then 10,000 for the last few days. My worst symptom is when my right side drops me to the floor without warning which is very worrying.
It all started in my right ankle which kept giving way and slowly moved up my body and now going down the other side pretty quickly. My doctor agreed, this week, to do the tests for me and wished me luck. My blood test is next week and then I will contact a doctor in Ireland via Skype when I get the results. I hope to go on a higher dose then.
I have been very active most of my life and I have been waiting for this answer to my problem. It seems so logical to me. I have never taken any of the drugs offered.
How has it helped your brother?

Kittie
Kittie
Family Member
 
Posts: 61
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:53 am

Re: Dr. Coimbra Protocol

Postby Zyklon » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:06 am

Hi Kittie,

Do you take magnesium? If not, return back to 5000 IU. 10000 IU will deplete your magnesium level fast. It needs careful monitoring for calcium and magnesium.

In my opinion, without professional help beyond 5000 IU is asking for trouble.
Pain! You made me a, you made me a believer, believer
Pain! You break me down, you build me up, believer, believer
Pain! Oh let the bullets fly, oh let them rain
My life, my love, my drive, it came from... Pain!
Zyklon
Family Elder
 
Posts: 184
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:45 pm
Location: Turkey

Re: Dr. Coimbra Protocol

Postby Kittie » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:49 am

Hi,

Yes, I take DHA-500 4 times a day, also K2. I have read everything about Dr. Coimbra's protocol. The only thing I did wrong was eat a lot of Kale. I am watching my calcium foods now. I have also found an almond milk without the addition of Calcium. I have contacted a doctor in Ireland and I am just waiting to get my blood test results to go forward.

Kittie.
Kittie
Family Member
 
Posts: 61
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:53 am

Re: Dr. Coimbra Protocol

Postby NHE » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:52 am

Zyklon wrote:Do you take magnesium? If not, return back to 5000 IU. 10000 IU will deplete your magnesium level fast. It needs careful monitoring for calcium and magnesium.

In my opinion, without professional help beyond 5000 IU is asking for trouble.

I became magnesium depleted taking just 2000 IU/day. That happened even though I was taking 200 mg/day of magnesium citrate. The problem was that I was taking it at the same time as my D3. My symptoms were painful nighttime charlie horse type cramps in my calf muscles and the soles of my feet. I split the magnesium and D3 up so I now take them at different times of the day, magnesium in the morning and D3 with dinner to maximize absorption. The cramps went away after just a few days.
User avatar
NHE
Volunteer Moderator
 
Posts: 4557
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2004 3:00 pm

Re: Dr. Coimbra Protocol

Postby AntonioBR » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:43 am

Kittie wrote:Hi,

Yes I have MS. I have had it for over 40 years and still walking (just about). I have been taking D3 5,000 for five weeks and then 10,000 for the last few days. My worst symptom is when my right side drops me to the floor without warning which is very worrying.
It all started in my right ankle which kept giving way and slowly moved up my body and now going down the other side pretty quickly. My doctor agreed, this week, to do the tests for me and wished me luck. My blood test is next week and then I will contact a doctor in Ireland via Skype when I get the results. I hope to go on a higher dose then.
I have been very active most of my life and I have been waiting for this answer to my problem. It seems so logical to me. I have never taken any of the drugs offered.
How has it helped your brother?

Kittie


My brother also did not take these conventional drugs.

''Mainstream'' doctors took almost one year to discover that my brother had MS. Because of that, his vision and legs were getting worse month by month.

The protocol helped stop the MS progression and it improved almost 100% his health condition. The legs coordination is 100% again. Only his vision that still blurs when the weather is very hot or when he is stressed-out.

He takes 250,000 IU vitamin D3/day.

The practice of Meditation is very recommended to help you 'control' anxiety and stress levels. http://www.thisisms.com/forum/coimbra-high-dose-vitamin-d-protocol-f57/topic29268.html

Magnesium, DHA 500 and Vitamin B2 are much important on this protocol. You really need to take them. (There are more supplements to take, but these are the most important ones)

You also need to practice some cardio 3 or 5x per week. If you have problems with it, there are a lot of exercises created for people with limited mobility: http://www.thisisms.com/forum/coimbra-high-dose-vitamin-d-protocol-f57/topic29161.html

I do not know where are you from. But just to remember that there are some certified doctors in America. And most of them use skype to talk with their patients.
AntonioBR
Family Elder
 
Posts: 500
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:06 am

Re: Dr. Coimbra Protocol

Postby Kittie » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:22 am

Hi again,
I live in the UK. Only one doctor who is in Ireland and he has agreed to take me on. I meditate every day and have done for quite a while. I will get some B2 on your advice. How often do you take them?

Kittie
Kittie
Family Member
 
Posts: 61
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:53 am

Re: Dr. Coimbra Protocol

Postby AntonioBR » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:02 pm

Kittie wrote:Hi again,
I live in the UK. Only one doctor who is in Ireland and he has agreed to take me on. I meditate every day and have done for quite a while. I will get some B2 on your advice. How often do you take them?

Kittie



Hi Kittie,

It's very good that you already practice meditation.

Second Dr. Coimbra, lack of emotional balance is the number one factor for new relapses or worst of symptoms.


About these supplements, my brother takes:

Vitamin B2 - 1 tablet after lunch and 1 tablet after dinner.

Magnesium - 2 tablets in the morning and 2 tablets at bedtime. (1,000mg)

Note: the higher is your vitamin D dose (and resistance to vitamin D) more magnesium and vitamin B2 you will probably need. Moreover, stressed people also need more magnesium.


Most of the patients use some vitamin B-complex supplement, like

- B-100: https://www.iherb.com/pr/Now-Foods-B-100-Sustained-Release-100-Tablets/54510

or

- Solgar, B-Complex: https://www.iherb.com/pr/Solgar-B-Complex-100-100-Veggie-Caps/19437

(Or any other brand that you prefer)


These products have vitamin B2, B12, B6, Choline, Biotin, etc. all combined in one supplement.


Remember that a good diet is very important too.

Dr. Terry Wahls has an important presentation about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLjgBLwH3Wc
AntonioBR
Family Elder
 
Posts: 500
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:06 am

Re: Dr. Coimbra Protocol

Postby Kittie » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:23 pm

Hi again,

Thanks for the information and I am so glad you found the time to reply.

I followed the Dr. Terry Wahls Diet at first and then found Dr. Coimbra. That's when I realised I shouldn't eat Kale or anything with extra Calcium while taking high D3. I have the kind of MS which just slowly gets worse. I have had it for nearly 50 years. I think my emotional levels are quite calm these days. I take a natural yeast supplement for my B vitamins.

I have got to give this a try before I end up in a wheelchair.
Kittie
Family Member
 
Posts: 61
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:53 am

Re: Dr. Coimbra Protocol

Postby NHE » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:38 pm

AntonioBR wrote:Most of the patients use some vitamin B-complex supplement, like

- B-100: https://www.iherb.com/pr/Now-Foods-B-100-Sustained-Release-100-Tablets/54510

or

- Solgar, B-Complex: https://www.iherb.com/pr/Solgar-B-Complex-100-100-Veggie-Caps/19437

(Or any other brand that you prefer)


Both of those B complexes contain 100 mg of B6. This is far too much. High doses of B6 can cause neurological impairment by interfering with proprioception.

Here's more about proprioception. http://www.physio-pedia.com/Proprioception

Here's a PubMed reference.

Elevated B6 levels and peripheral neuropathies.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18754531

Polyneuropathy related to decreased levels of Vitamin B6 are well known. In contrast, the association between elevated levels of pyridoxine and neuropathy is not well described. This study is a retrospective review of patients in our neuromuscular clinic that were found to have elevated B6 levels. Twenty-six patients were found to have elevated serum B6 levels. The mean B6 level was 68.8 ng/ml. Twenty patients (76.9%) reported daily vitamin use. Twenty-one patients (80.8%) reported only sensory complaints. The most common symptoms reported were numbness (96%), burning pain (49.9%), tingling (57.7%), balance difficulties (30.7%), and weakness (7.8%). Nine (out of 26) had an abnormal EMG/NCS. Eight patients had an abnormal quantitative sensory study. We conclude that elevated pyridoxine levels should be considered in the differential diagnosis of any sensory or sensorimotor polyneuropathy.
User avatar
NHE
Volunteer Moderator
 
Posts: 4557
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2004 3:00 pm

Re: Dr. Coimbra Protocol

Postby jimmylegs » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:44 am

"Twenty patients (76.9%) reported daily vitamin use." gap re daily amount
worth a read:
NIH Vitamin B6 Dietary Supplement Fact Sheet
Health Risks from Excessive Vitamin B6
https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Vitam ... sional/#h8
odd sx? no dx? check w/ dietitian
DRI=MINIMUM eg bit.ly/1vgQclQ
99% don't meet these. meds/lifestyle can affect levels
status can be low in ms & other cond'ns
'but my results are normal'. typical panels don't test all
deficits occur in 'normal' range
User avatar
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator
 
Posts: 10770
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:00 pm

Re: Dr. Coimbra Protocol

Postby Kittie » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:43 pm

It is a minefield. I am going to wait until I speak to Dr. Cawley, which is after I get my results. You really do need a specialist in this field. Thank you for replying and I will let you know how I get on.
Kittie
Family Member
 
Posts: 61
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:53 am

Re: Dr. Coimbra Protocol

Postby Kittie » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:30 am

Hi again,

I have my blood test results and all are normal. My vitamin D >50 nmol/L = 'Adequate Vitamin D status'. What they don't know is I am taking 10,000iu per day to get this result! I am waiting now to hear from Dr. Cawley. I can't wait to start on the higher dose.
Kittie
Family Member
 
Posts: 61
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:53 am

Re: Dr. Coimbra Protocol

Postby AntonioBR » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:25 am

Kittie wrote:Hi again,

I have my blood test results and all are normal. My vitamin D >50 nmol/L = 'Adequate Vitamin D status'. What they don't know is I am taking 10,000iu per day to get this result! I am waiting now to hear from Dr. Cawley. I can't wait to start on the higher dose.


Hi Kittie,

And about your PTH test...

Do you know the result of your Parathyroid Hormone (PTH) test?
AntonioBR
Family Elder
 
Posts: 500
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:06 am

Next

Return to Coimbra High-Dose Vitamin D Protocol

 


  • Related topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users


Contact us | Terms of Service