Newly Diagnosed And About To Start Capaxone

A board to discuss the Multiple Sclerosis modifying drug Copaxone
doodlebug

Newly Diagnosed And About To Start Capaxone

Post by doodlebug »

Hello everyone, it's been suspected for years that I had M.S. But I just recently got a confirmed diagnosis. I've already received my autoject. But still waiting on the med to arrive. I'm a little scared about having M.S., as well as starting this med. I also have numerous disabilities. So sometimes I'm not sure if it is one of them acting up, or if it's the M.S. I'm in a great deal of pain on a daily basis and take meds for that, which help a little bit. Will copaxone help my pain? In what ways has it helped some of you? I will be greatful for any feedback. Thanks
Bouncycat
Getting to Know You...

Post by Bouncycat »

Hi,
I don't have anything to tell you, just posting to say Hi and I am in the same position as you - have my autoinject and other stuff and just waiting for the meds and then the 'training' session. I too am nervous. I sometimes wonder if i really need meds and worry about what they will do to me as i do have constant symptoms but they are sensory (constant and increasing numbness) so don't really bother me. But then i think about the future and that this med is supposed to help me keep this way!

Did you start yet?

Goodluck

:)
Stabilo
Family Member

Post by Stabilo »

Hello to both of you and sorry we have had to meet here :( Nobody wants MS and I wouldn't wish it for my worst enemy. I have been on Copaxone only since October 7th, so It has not taken it's full effect as of yet. They say it can take anywhere from 6-9 months to start working. I too was in your boat just a few months ago and I must say after reading all the hype about reactions/burning etc, I was scared out of my mind! I was actually thinking about it while reading this and today was my 53rd injection, which made me quite proud. I must say in all honesty that the burning isn't that intense, for me anyway. I think for a lot of people they just build it up so much that they will it to hurt. The one thing that bothers me most about the site reactions is the ITCHING that develops on day 2 and doesn't seem to subside for a few days. Other than that it has already become second nature with me. As for the autoject that thing scared the heck out of me and from day one I have been doing manual injections. I like it better because you have more control. I like that I can put the needle in quick, but the drugs in slow (which for me reduces the burning) I have read so many positive things as far as the Copaxone reducing the relapses in most cases, and I am determined to stick with it.

Doodlebug I'm not sure how it will help with the pain management, and I would imagine it will take the 6-9 months to know so. I would imagine that if it is pain from your MS and not something else that it could help, but can't really offer insight as I am a newbie at this too.

I wish both of you all the luck in the world with Copaxone :) I am personally looking into the liberation treatment (CCSVI) which you can find a thread on this forum about.

Take care
doodlebug

Post by doodlebug »

Bouncycat wrote:Hi,
I don't have anything to tell you, just posting to say Hi and I am in the same position as you - have my autoinject and other stuff and just waiting for the meds and then the 'training' session. I too am nervous. I sometimes wonder if i really need meds and worry about what they will do to me as i do have constant symptoms but they are sensory (constant and increasing numbness) so don't really bother me. But then i think about the future and that this med is supposed to help me keep this way!

Did you start yet?

Goodluck

:)
I wish you good luck as well. No, I still haven't started yet. There is a lot of nonsense going on with medicare. They keep denying me. They said that it has something to do with a paper that they need from my Dr. Spoke with someone at the Dr's office, and was told that the paper had been faxed 4 times. Now, several days later, I am told that they faxed the wrong paper! Grrr I sure don't need this added stress. How are things going for you?

Stabilo, thank you so much for all of the info. :)
daverestonvirginia
Family Elder

Post by daverestonvirginia »

I have been on Copaxone for about 5 years now my siste about 11 years. We are both doing fine. Although, I believe my sister will switch to an oral med sometime in the future bacuse after 11 years of one shot a day it does get old.