How long does it take for Copaxone to become effective?

A board to discuss the Multiple Sclerosis modifying drug Copaxone

How long does it take for Copaxone to become effective?

Postby runforMS » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:38 pm

I was wondering if anyone new knew long it takes for Copaxone to reach a clinical level in your body and begin to slow the progression of MS? I went off of Rebif about 6 months ago due to the side effects. I feel 10x better off of the Rebif; however, when I told my neurologist I ended the Rebif and wanted to take Copaxone he discouraged me and said that Copaxone is not as effective as Rebif. To complicate matters my husband and I are beginning fertility treatments in May of '12. So after hearing this information he stated that Copaxone takes 8 months to become effective so there was no reason for me to begin it. Currently, I am not taking anything for MS only for the symptoms. This concerns me, considering that I went off Rebif in May and could potentially be off meds for close to 2 years if the fertility treatments are successful!

I am getting a second opinion in January.

Also has anyone ever heard of breast feeding while on Copaxone?

Any experiences you may have or knowledge you would like to share would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
runforMS

Advertisement

Re: How long does it take for Copaxone to become effective?

Postby NHE » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:26 am

runforMS wrote:Also has anyone ever heard of breast feeding while on Copaxone?

Thomas Hale is the author of Medications and Mothers' Milk
http://www.ibreastfeeding.com/catalog/p ... _info.html

Check this site for info...
http://www.infantrisk.com/forum/search. ... hid=266837

NHE
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Postby LR1234 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:54 am

I have just been through fertility treatments on copaxone (even though I am not planning to get pregnant for a year or 2...just wanted to store things:) if you want to chat about it more PM me.

I have to say from what I have read copaxone is the least harmful drug to fall pregnant on.
I was told by my neuro it is not a problem and even some people have continued it through pregnancy (its just amino acids that make up proteins after all)

I don't know why your neuro is so pro Rebif.....Copaxone is just as effective for some people as rebif sometimes rebif doesn't work for others and copaxone does. (and visa versa)

I have been on it since July (after I had some real nasty relapses) and so far I have not had a relapse since but its only been 5 months and it could be a coincedence. (I was told 6-9 months to be effective)
LR1234
Family Elder

Postby Wonderfulworld » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:14 pm

I have been on Copaxone for 7 years. I've given it up 3 times in that period.
For two pregnancies I was taking Copaxone when I conceived, but on both occasions I miscarried.
The third time I gave up Copaxone prior to conception, took low-dose aspirin and progesterone on the advice of a gynae and I gave birth to my son. Yay! I started back on Copaxone two weeks after his birth but had a relapse after about 6 months.
So I would say that it takes 6-7 months for Copaxone to get into your system.

My neurologist insisted Rebif was better than Copaxone but it did not suit me, in the end he said I was an 'interferon failure'. I asked about Copaxone, he insisted it would not be strong enough but I insisted that I wanted to try it. 7 years on and I am doing great on it. Last relapse was 2 years ago.
Wishing you all the very best with the fertility treatments in 2012.
x
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Concussus Resurgo
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
RR-MS dx 1998 and Coeliac dx 2003
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Copaxone, Cymbalta. EPO, Fish Oils, Vitamin D3 2000 IU daily, Cal/Mag/Zinc, Multivitamin/mineral, Co-Enzyme Q10, Probiotics, Milk Thistle.
Wonderfulworld
Family Elder

Postby runforMS » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:12 pm

NHE thank you for the information, I greatly appreciate it.

LR1234: My neurologist is tied to a university hospital system and has tried several times to get me involved in his research studies. I believe that his research has contributed to the research efficiency data supporting Rebif. When I was first diagnosed they sent me home with several binders and said to choose a medication based on the research, side effects, etc and my husband and I chose Copaxone due to the least amount of side effects and it's effectiveness. The Neuros disagreed with my decision and convinced me to get on Rebif. I will most likely remain off of my drugs during fertility treatments. I do not want to jeopardize my chances of conceiving or put the baby in harm. At least my neuro appears to be right about the length of time until Copaxone is effective!

@Wonderful- Did the interferons fail to slow progression of lesions or was it the side effects that got to you? After reading the inserts that came in my Rebif month after month about the poisonous ingredients of Rebif I started to understand why I felt awful. At least Copaxone is made from naturally occurring substances in the human body. There are also reports of it having a vasco-dilator effect on the circulatory system. I have had the liberation procedure done twice. With the second procedure finding significant malformation of my azygous that would not be responsive to angioplasty.

Thank you for all of your responses.
God Bless
runforMS

Postby Wonderfulworld » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:57 am

@Wonderful- Did the interferons fail to slow progression of lesions or was it the side effects that got to you? After reading the inserts that came in my Rebif month after month about the poisonous ingredients of Rebif I started to understand why I felt awful. At least Copaxone is made from naturally occurring substances in the human body. There are also reports of it having a vasco-dilator effect on the circulatory system. I have had the liberation procedure done twice. With the second procedure finding significant malformation of my azygous that would not be responsive to angioplasty.

It was both - my MS became more active with 4 relapses per year, and I lost most of my white blood count and was getting up to 10 viral and bacterial infections per year too. Stupidly I hung on like this for over a year, hoping it would get better. I never lost the flu-reactions and I could hardly move if I woke after taking the injection, I used to be so stiff and in pain, even with anti-inflammatories. Any spasticity in my legs cleared up nearly completely the minute I gave up Rebif. For me, it seemed like pure poison.
With Copaxone it has been relatively problem-free. I do have widespread lipoatrophy, but my legs work as well as they ever did so I consider that a payoff I have to put up with. I think lipoatrophy can be worse if you have less body-fat - I am quite slim so perhaps that has worsened the situation for me.

Wow - liberation done twice. What a pity you have the malformation in the azygous that won't respond to angio.
WW
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Concussus Resurgo
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
RR-MS dx 1998 and Coeliac dx 2003
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Copaxone, Cymbalta. EPO, Fish Oils, Vitamin D3 2000 IU daily, Cal/Mag/Zinc, Multivitamin/mineral, Co-Enzyme Q10, Probiotics, Milk Thistle.
Wonderfulworld
Family Elder

Postby runforMS » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:57 pm

Wonderful, I had the same reaction to Rebif. I was in constant pain and incredibly stiff, as well as felt depressed and did not want to get out of bed in the morning. It was such an awful experience, I am praying that Copaxone will not be the same. As far as Rebif working to slow the progression of MS/new lesion growth, I guess it did because my neurologist never said otherwise....

I had great results the first time I was liberated, but my symptoms slowly started to return about a month after. The second time I went to Dr. S and he angio both of my jugulars. My Azygous collapses and twists when I breath, so angio would not be beneficial to me. He was quite taken by the malformation and it was the first of it's kind that he had seen at that point in time.

Thank you for sharing your experiences!

PS. My husband and I went to Ireland this past summer for our honeymoon and had an absolutely wonderful time. My symptoms decreased dramatically and I felt like my body was at peace. Such a wonderfully beautiful country!
runforMS

Return to Copaxone