Does the thigh shot hurt everytime?

A board to discuss the Multiple Sclerosis modifying drug Copaxone
mstshirts
Getting to Know You...

Does the thigh shot hurt everytime?

Post by mstshirts »

Been at this for awhile, but that leg shot still hurts am I doing something wrong?
dlb
Family Elder

Post by dlb »

After about 2 & a half years of struggling with thigh shots, I told Shared Solutions that I was going to do 3 belly shots & rotate on a 7 day basis (so 2 arm, 2 hip & 3 belly shots). That has been working for me for the last almost a year & my thighs still feel tender. Glad I'm not the only one that had a problem with my thighs.... 'cause they acted like I was unique!
Last edited by dlb on Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mstshirts
Getting to Know You...

Post by mstshirts »

Running out of spots, had to give up the stomach and arms So I'm down to the legs and backside. At least the upper thighs are ok still.
Absentee
Family Member

Post by Absentee »

In my experience, they require fine tuning of the auto-ject (if you use that). The legs are very sensitive to the depth, a hair to deep or shallow and it gets tender. One thing that I really recommend, if you are able, is keeping moving after doing the shot - like do the dishes or something to stay on your feet. That gets the medicine moving or keeps it from getting too tender.

All that said, the auto-ject is an imperfect tool. they don't have nearly enough marks on the settings to get to the true splits that I need. I complained to SS about that and they did not seem all that interested.

Good luck.
mstshirts
Getting to Know You...

Post by mstshirts »

I'm going to try that Thanks
mstshirts.com
dlb
Family Elder

Post by dlb »

Not sure if you have been told this... or tried it?? SS told me while I was struggling to use a hot compress just before injecting & then after the inj, an ice pack. I generally use one of those gel packs that I keep in the fridge after all injections. The hot compress helped but.... I really hated the thigh injections even so. Might help you....
mstshirts
Getting to Know You...

Post by mstshirts »

what setting do you folks use of you use Auto. inject
mstshirts.com
Absentee
Family Member

Post by Absentee »

it depends on how much fat you have on your legs. I am not a large man now am I a skinny man and I still use 5.5 to 5.75 on the legs. I extend my legs out so the skin is not tight. But I too only shoot the top half of the thigh, anythign below that bled a lot and I could not get the adjustment right.

In the Copax shot diary book, this is what it says:
- if you can pinch about 1 inch of fatty tissue, try a 6 setting
- if you can pinch about 2 inches of fatty tissue, try an 8 setting
- in lean or muscular areas where ther is very little fatty tissue, try a 4-5 setting

off, like tonight i did not go deep enough on my arm and it is stinging like hell....
mstshirts
Getting to Know You...

Post by mstshirts »

Thanks I'll adjust by the area. I used to use 6 bat had a lot of lumps. Now I use 8, works great accept the front of the thighs it hurts like hell. I should have adjusted years ago.) but I'm a creature of habit
mstshirts.com
RedSonja
Family Elder

Post by RedSonja »

I never use the front of the thigh, only behind. Cooling after the jab is the great helper.

I find the lumps are not visible, though I can feel them.
Bibo ergo sum
mstshirts
Getting to Know You...

Post by mstshirts »

I never got an ok to do the back of the thigh let me check on that
mstshirts.com
Dejibo
Getting to Know You...

Post by Dejibo »

I use the SIDE wall of my thigh, and found much more fat to land in. When I shoot the top side I smack muscle everytime! its painful! so, the side wall offers me a better pad to land in.

You may find that shooting manually is more helpful on the thigh. some go at a 45 degree angle and just pop it under the layers of skin, and not so deep into the fat. Leaves a bee sting looking welt, but avoids the muscle.

Hang in there.
mstshirts
Getting to Know You...

Post by mstshirts »

Thanks for all the replies you guys are the best. After a few days of moving around, I am keeping more to the sides and adjusting depths. The front is a def no-no. That just plain hurts evrytime
mstshirts.com
jay123
Family Elder

Post by jay123 »

Newbie to the C thing too. I have had the burning in my thighs, are you saying burning is a function of needle depth?
mstshirts
Getting to Know You...

Post by mstshirts »

Your first month or so might be the meds, contact your Doc if it is persistent, I have found it to be the depth on the auto inject that bothers me most. Too deep and it stings. Too shallow and you get lumps
mstshirts.com

Return to “Copaxone”