Sleep Problems

A forum to talk about the general challenges of daily life with MS.
buygirl
Getting to Know You...

Sleep Problems

Post by buygirl »

I was wondering if their was anything natural to help me with sleeping thru the night.
I do take Magnesium at night but I am not sure that helps at all.
The doctor did give me Lunesta at one point but I was hoping for something more natural.

Thanks in advance
Quest56
Family Elder

Re: Sleep Problems

Post by Quest56 »

buygirl
Getting to Know You...

Post by buygirl »

Thanks...I was told from the nutritionist at my neurologist office not to take melatonin

For some reason it is not good for people with MS

Thanks
Sari
Quest56
Family Elder

Post by Quest56 »

buygirl wrote:...I was told from the nutritionist at my neurologist office not to take melatonin
For some reason it is not good for people with MS...
I'm not sure if there is research to support this. The research I have found suggests the opposite. There is an abundance of anecdotal information floating around about ms, in that realm you can find evidence to support or refute almost any belief or claim. I'd ask the people in your neurologist's office if there is any science to support melatonin as not being good for ms. Recent reports suggest otherwise:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25179086
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4122810/
CCSVI Procedure 9/16/2009 at Stanford
Stent in left and right IJVs
SPMS
Copaxone
Former Ampyra User
Regular Botox Bladder Injections
300mg d-Biotin / day
Froggie
Family Elder

Post by Froggie »

As far as I know, melatonin is supposed to be GOOD for people with MS! I had a neurologist tell me directly that's what he recommends to MS patients and I had another tell me it was okay for sleep purposes. One neuro has a Ph.D in chemical engineering as well as her MD. Unless I am mistaken, we lose melatonin as we get older and it's especially problematic with MS patients. I find I don't need a lot for sleep (approx. 3 mg or so) and the sub-lingual form does not upset my stomach. It can induce some wacky dreams, but I'll take them over no sleep any day.
1eye
Family Elder

Post by 1eye »

I have had lots of sleep problems. I have tried various things. I kind of settled on a few things. Lorazepam, tylenol or advil night-time formulas and gravol. These night-time formulas are usually pain-killer mixed with a decongestant, which is the sleep medication part. Because I do not want dependency on anything to develop, and all of the above can be habit-forming, I alternate from night to night. Each of these things has its own pluses and minuses. I would take lorazepam if I felt particularly anxious for some reason, as it is a good tranquilizer. The pain medications can help reduce inflammation. Watch out for grogginess after you wake up, and anything for sleep does not mix with driving, drinking, or operating heavy machinery. Unless you *want* to have an accident.

Lately though, I am in the habit, which does not seem habitual, of taking a quarter tablet of seraquil at bedtime. If I do this before midnight, I am fine for the night. If I take it after that, I am too groggy in the morning. It works just as well day after day. It is an anti-anxiety drug, but different from lorazepam.

Melatonin is released naturally, and it is part of why we are not nocturnal. It is released at sundown, and should make you sleep (the natural release). It has a daytime counterpart, the release of endorphin at sunup. In my case I believe it was responsible for those automatic morning erections I used to have when younger. It helps you wake up.

LDN is supposed to enhance your endorphin production, which is thought to be low, in diseases like HIV, cancers, crone's and "MS". What you are timkering with here (and by taking melatonin) is your circadian rhythm, which controls daily cycles in your endogenous hormone production.

I am a bit suspicious of LDN for cancer, because it is thought to promote angiogenesis. Angiogenesis is a natural process, but it is definitely part of what turns a precancerous cell into a tumour, when is is acquiring its own blood supply. Angiogenesis may at the same time be a good thing for people with CCSVI, as it is necessary in order for new collateral veins to develop.

One of the objections to melatonin is the size of the dose. 2mg will flood your system with melatonin, and may be like hitting your circadian clock with a sledgehammer. I have read that 0.5 mg is the maximum, but I believe even that is probably way too much.

The absolutely critical thing about taking LDN or melatonin, is that you do it at the same time every day. Best thing to do about bedtime is to make a ritual of it. Always do the same things every day, half an hour to an hour before you go to bed, and always do it at the same time every day. All these circadian things, like eating, sleeping, in some people excreting, having sex, waking up, are part of a delicate daily circadian rhythm, which is easily disturbed.

The worst way to interfere with the daily shut-down cycle is to use artificial light. A close second which throws millions of people way off twice a year, and probably causes many automobile deaths, is Daylight Saving Time. Do not be surprised if sleep troubles come back after the "fall back" happens.

If you are a photo-phobe like I am, you may be aware that a soft red night-light is ok, but blue, green and the short wavelengths of light are more likely to wake you up or keep you awake. That is because our circadian clocks are synchronized by sunlight, which is more in the blue end.

All that is secondary to the most annoying effect of "MS" that I have: I don't dream.
This unit of entertainment not brought to you by FREMULON.
Not a doctor.
"I'm still here, how 'bout that? I may have lost my lunchbox, but I'm still here." John Cowan Hartford (December 30, 1937 – June 4, 2001)
kengriff
Family Member

Post by kengriff »

I have no sleep problems. Whenever I got o my bed, I sleep. But, when I get tensed, I face the sleeping problems. I could not sleep at that moment and felt very anxious.
aplkwst1
Getting to Know You...

Post by aplkwst1 »

In my experience the only thing that has worked for me is Sleep Aid gels, they are non addictive and my Dr. is fine with me taking it every night. Its the same active ingredient as in Benedryl only double strength. It is also called unisom, but more expensive in that package.

Here is the active ingredient to look for: The active sleep-aid ingredient is diphenhydramine HCl (50 mg/dose or 30mL/dose)

Again I use the gels and take it an hour before bed. Wake up feeling refreshed and sleep best with them.

Without it for some reason my brain will just ignore the alarm clock blasting beside my head in the morning or I will shut it off in my sleep and not remember doing that so this is my big save.

Can't explain it, but this has been very life altering to take for me.