Walking Into Things

A forum to talk about the general challenges of daily life with MS.
thinkingoutloud86
Family Elder

Walking Into Things

Post by thinkingoutloud86 »

Hi all,

Just a little effort to try and laugh at something that would be easy to get upset about...since the MS, my peripheral vision hasn't been the same. So, when I'm not looking directly at something, I may miss out on something. Yesterday, after my first attempt at returning to exercise for awhile, something caught my eye while walking towards the exit of the club. I walked forward and reached my hand out to start and push the glass door open. Oops!..the door was one glass frame over and I walked into the window face first!

ThinkingOutLoud
Loobie
Family Elder

Post by Loobie »

My fun time with that is when I'm walking around a corner. I don't understand the phenomenon, but I walk into the corner of the wall when I'm walking down a hallway that takes a 90 degree turn. It's like I start the turn too quickly. What's funny is I know it's coming. I think hallway corners have magnetic powers to suck me into them! It literally happens multiple times per day!
thinkingoutloud86
Family Elder

Ouch!...thanks for the response Loobie...it so easy to get down with all of this and sometimes I find it helpful to laugh at it and myself...and, it doesn't seem right to joke about it with friends/family members...

TOL
Loobie
Family Elder

Post by Loobie »

I know what you mean. I often feel that this board is like our AA. My family is wonderful, but they can't relate completely like someone else that is walking into walls!
REDHAIRANDTEMPER
Family Elder

Post by REDHAIRANDTEMPER »

oh my here i thoguht i was the only one that ran into walls....every so often i end up misjudging the corner and bang i hit the wall...of course i also have almost killed both my cats and myself tripping over them because i didnt see....i swear ya would think by now the cats would just get out of the way...lol...

chris
waiting for answers
Loobie
Family Elder

Post by Loobie »

I say that almost daily. My dog will move when I am coming, but not the cat. The worst is when he is hanging out on the stairs and I'm walking down with a laundry basket or something and can't see him. I told my wife that she can't disown me if I squish him!
REDHAIRANDTEMPER
Family Elder

Post by REDHAIRANDTEMPER »

yep keep telling my kids one of these cats will bite it and it wont be my fault...lol...

chris
waiting for answers
thinkingoutloud86
Family Elder

...don't have any animals running around these days...from the sounds of it, it may be for the best (for their safety)...for me, it's more bumping into things...like lampshades...corners of coffee tables (that can actually sting)

...it's strange in a way...i don't think it is a visual thing (my vision seems fine)...and, i also don't think it is an attentional thing...i don't know about you two, but it is as if i've lost some sense of spatial awareness...where is everything in relation to each other when it isn't directly in my field of view...

i may be repeating myself, but i really do find it helpful at times to be able to make fun of myself about this...and, while i don't take any gratification on hearing others have similar mishaps, it's nice to hear how others can really relate...

so, until i knock over the next vase, step on someone's toes, or walk into another wall...have a great weekend!

TOL
bethanylynn

Post by bethanylynn »

OMG... my only excuse is that my balance is shot! I can clearly see where I'm going and yet... I don't quite make it.

My feet may be cleared for a turn, but my head & shoulders just don't get around the corner as easily or smoothly or without bumps & bruises!... my daughter says I look like the leaning tower of "pizza" (she's 7).

I'm thinking of going for a cane at this point. It'll keep me somewhat vertical and on (hopefully) the right course!

Bethany