neuropsych assessment and cognitive retraining

A forum to talk about the general challenges of daily life with MS.
AllyB
Family Elder

neuropsych assessment and cognitive retraining

Post by AllyB »

Hi there

I recently underwent a full neuropsych evaluation and I just wanted to say that I found the whole process very interesting. The professor who conducted the assessnment was very warm and empathetic and although it was long and exhausting (6 hours over 2 days), the report was an eye opener!
Ally
Last edited by AllyB on Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Al
Terry
Family Elder

Post by Terry »

Ally,

I searched this site for cognitive issues and found your post. You refer to "information overload" which describes my feeling exactly. My work requires sorting through small details and lately I am overwhelmed by it. I cannot seem to concentrate and grow weary. Once at home, I do better since my chores here seldom require small details. Did you have this training that you spoke of? Can you tell me about it? I feel as though I am fighting against myself. Is this lack of ability to concentrate normal for those of us with MS? I cannot even stand too many phone calls. They overwhelm me also, and my phone at work rings all day!

Terry
AllyB
Family Elder

Post by AllyB »

Hi Terry

The assessment looks at learning ability, memory, information processing ability etc.
From what I have read, many people with ms suffer from some sort of cognitive issue - it does not affect your actual intelligence, but rather your ability to process information and recall memory. This happens either because of lesions in certain parts of the brain (it manifests in different ways depending on where the lesions are), or because of the fatigue that can seem so all-consuming at times (how can you concentrate when you are totally exhausted? How can you cope with many demands when you are so tired you cannot think straight?), and I have also read that the longer you have ms, the more likely you are to experience some sort of cognitive problem - again, I think that it is because of the eventual axonal damage that remylenation cannot over come, and some sort of grey-matter problems that cannot always be seen on MRI.

This needn't be the end of the world - it is just another challenge to take on (you are still as bright as you have always been) - I know it seems scary, but there is help available.

If you feel you have some cognitive issues, I would suggest that you find a really good neuro-psych (not many good ones around, but you might find one affiliated with a university near you - I would recommend someone with lots of experience with ms and who is a decent human being) and have an assessment. That person will be in a position to tell you if you really have a problem (it could just be fatigue etc, which is what I thought) and will advise you on what they can do to help you. I know that there are techniques that you can learn to help overcome some problems and to assist with focus and concentration. The first step is to identify the problem, then it can be addressed - the brain is an amazing thing and I believe that it can form new neural pathways to get around areas of damage.

This has been a really long reply - sorry about that, but I hope something has been helpful and that things get better at work - it is soul destroying to feel your grip slipping away.

All the best.
Last edited by AllyB on Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Al
Terry
Family Elder

Post by Terry »

Ally,

Thank you thank you!
I think I'll be looking for the neuro-phsyc right away!
I own a small insurance agency. I am a captive agent for a large company. I can't afford to replace myself, and I am getting more and more behind all the time. I have two employees, but they do not deal with the work that I do. One is clerical, and one sells personal lines like auto and also does clerical work. I deal with the running of the business and the larger commercial type policies and service.
Since I am captive for a large company, I am measured and watched by that company. I cannot let things get too out of hand.
I live near a university, and I'll look onto this right away.
Thank you, Ally. My best to you.
Terry