Are mornings bad?

A forum to talk about the general challenges of daily life with MS.
mickb
Family Member

Are mornings bad?

Post by mickb »

I was just curious if it is common to feel the worst right after you get up in the morning. I was dx'd in 2001 with ppms and as it has progressed, I have noticed that the mornings are brutal. I have strange shuddering symptoms and this profound sense of illness that goes away after I "wake up". For me thats about 2 hrs. This disease produces such different symptoms in each person you never know what is common and what is your very own flavor. I would be very interested to hear if anyone else has observed this.

Thanks for reading,

Mick
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

hey there, sorry can't say i share that one, but i do notice some things get to me more when i'm in bed, e.g. my hands fall asleep (more asleep than usual i mean) much more easily, and i've heard others talk about the potential for your core temperature getting higher when lying on your back, insulating your spine, and covering up with blankets or it just being warmer weather depending where you live. sorry i don't have more to pitch into the topic
mickb
Family Member

mornings

Post by mickb »

Hi Jimmy:

How goes the swimming?

Thanks for the reply, that makes very good sense. It's been real hot here so that might explain why I'm noticing it so much lately. I have to sleep flat on my back at night because of back pain(no a/c either). Probably not the best way to keep my spine cool. This definitely calls for some experimentation on my part.

Thanks for the post

Mick
ewizabeth
Family Elder

Post by ewizabeth »

It takes me forever to get going in the morning. I still work, and when I get in the office on the days that I do work, I'm like a zombie for the first few hours.

I never really get into high gear anyway... :roll:

If I ever have to change jobs I don't know if I'll last a week.
Take care, Ewizabeth Previously Avonex, Rebif & Copaxone RRMS ~Tysabri, 31 infusions, ended 9/09. Starting Copaxone 12/09, waiting for Cladribine to be approved in 2010.
Loobie
Family Elder

Post by Loobie »

I'm the polar opposite. Since I have such problems with vertigo and balance, I am usually pretty stable in the mornings. Then the hustle of getting ready and working gets me heated up and I start to slide until I reach my daytime "normal". Mornings are my best time.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

hiya again, the swimming kind of fell off a bit what with ppl being really busy lately, but i think we'll get it going again this week maybe.

mind you the hiking is still happening lots, 7 hours between sat and sun just gone by, whew!!!!! i can tell you for sure when i get heated up doing that stuff it's no joke, yikes. i had to pack in 1.5 hrs on sat and out the same on sun, both times with packs on both back and front, and in between we had a three hour hike plus swimming and rock climbing. lots of breaks to let the functionality come back up to safety level, then kept hikin. could hardly walk when we got back to the car yesterday though, sheesh!

i don't know about you but we had a nice drop in the temp up here over the last few days. if it's still too hot where you are, hopefully you can experiment successfully without the back acting up too much!
Lovermont

Post by Lovermont »

Hello,

Morning time is a terrible existance for me. Each night before I go to bed I try to think positively that the next morning I will wake up refreshed. Wishful thinking because daily I wake up with the dry heaves and/or vomiting. I feel very nauseous until about 1pm. When the n/v is under control I struggle with extreme fatigue for the rest of the day.
Loobie
Family Elder

Post by Loobie »

I'm polar opposite. Mornings are my best time. My vertigo and balance issues don't get cranked up for a couple of hours. Once I get into the day they calm down to my "normal" (dizzy and wobbly), but the mornings are the only time I'm not dizzy and can see halfway normal.
REDHAIRANDTEMPER
Family Elder

Post by REDHAIRANDTEMPER »

morning suck for me....i cant get up right away like i use to...it takes me at least 20 min to get out of bed..body wont move very well or anything....so its morning for me

chris
waiting for answers
Brainteaser
Family Elder

Mornings

Post by Brainteaser »

I get up at 5.30, cause it takes 2 hours to get ready for work. The first hour or so is a killer, requiring so much energy. I take a 4-AP at 7.00 and then at 4-5 hour intervals. Between 7am & about 2pm things are fine. Mid-afternoon can be challenging but late afternoon and evenings are OK. I'm sure it has something to do with our natural body cycles but with more impact because of MS.
Lainie
Family Member

Post by Lainie »

When I first wake up has always been the worst for me. Legs are stiff and "shuddery," and I have a headache, feel tired (as though I didn't sleep) and generally achey and poorly.

The only time I haven't felt this way was the few days after my Tysabri infusion (had my first this month). When I woke up in the morning I felt well rested and my legs were not stiff and spastic. It only lasted a few days after the infusion, but I'm hoping that as I continue to have infusions, maybe the effect will last longer.
carolew
Family Elder

Post by carolew »

I hope so for you Lainie. We need something encouraging here. Carole
AllyB
Family Elder

Post by AllyB »

I can relate to what you say Lainie. Early morning is tough for me too - all the same symptoms as you, i stagger around on my "bad" right leg, balance off, bad headache, exhausted etc. The only thing that seems a little better just as I get out of bed is my hideous L'Hermittes - it is more of a soft buzz untill after my shower, then it starts getting worse....My bets time is probably from about 9 am til 12 pm, then I need to rest in the afternoon again - but some days are great for longer and some are bad - especially after Avonex!

I really hope you continue to see inprovement with your treatment - good news would be great.

Take care
Al

Return to “Daily Life”