Cooking Thread with pictures Ah ey!!!

A forum to talk about the general challenges of daily life with MS.

Cooking Thread with pictures Ah ey!!!

Postby Artifishual » Thu May 08, 2008 5:12 pm

Ok since we don't have a cooking thread we are going to "HighJack" this one, here is the first I hope it works.
First add water.
add some spice
invite some friends
add seasoning to water
and enjoy
Artifishual
Family Elder

Advertisement

Postby Nenu » Thu May 08, 2008 5:14 pm

That's a lot of lobster wow! LOL.

I only had it once, and it was delicious.. but the hives and stomach after wasn't pleasant :(. Darn allergies!
Dx RRMS March 5, 2008.
Nenu
Family Elder

Postby Artifishual » Thu May 08, 2008 5:15 pm

ok I have had a few drinks, which is ok since it is my birthday 8)
Hey let's start putting recipe ideas and pictures if available on here. I love to cook but I really love to eat. Later arti
Artifishual
Family Elder

Postby Artifishual » Thu May 08, 2008 5:38 pm

Sorry nenu about the allergies. is it all shellfish?
Artifishual
Family Elder

Postby Artifishual » Thu May 08, 2008 5:56 pm

k this was tonights supper : baked sweet potatoes w/ butter, sauted green beans in olive oil, baby carrots w/ a touch of butter and suger, and organic chicken breasts pan fried in olive oil with green bell pepper, yellow bell pepper, red bell pepper, purple onion , and fresh corn that Greta shucked and cut off the cob with a caribbean jerk sauce. MMMMMMMMMMMM MMMMM good :D
Artifishual
Family Elder

MUDBUGS

Postby Aggie03 » Thu May 08, 2008 7:29 pm

Pinch the tail and suck the heads!!!!!

Happy Birthday
Aggie03
Family Member

Postby Nenu » Thu May 08, 2008 7:30 pm

Shellfish for sure, muscles (smelling them) make my throat tight. Really unfortunate, since I live on the east coast ;p
Dx RRMS March 5, 2008.
Nenu
Family Elder

Postby Loobie » Fri May 09, 2008 3:41 am

Love them crawdaddies.
Loobie
Family Elder

Postby AllyB » Sat May 10, 2008 2:00 pm

Hey Shannon - Happy Birthday :lol: Your son has his B/Day close to your, huh?
Funny, tonight, I also had organic chicken breat fillets, sauteed in olive oil and garlic, tossed salad of green beans (french beans), mange tout, baby broccoli, red onions, baby spinach, and yellow peppers, baby new potatoes tossed in garlic butter - all organic! Didn't take a pic, though.
Those crayfish look fantastic - lots of 'em - how many folks were you feeding? The spice mix you use - what is in it? Is it a chillie, cayenne pepper type thing?

I am not going into detail of measurements here (don't generally use 'em) as I am just tossing out ideas, but happy to supply what I can if anyone wants them - just assuming y'all know how to cook, as we all have to eat no matter where we live!

Another idea - trout fillets, or red salmon fillets (even tuna fillets) - rub with basil pesto, and cook on the gas bbq - great salad or side dish idea is baby beetroot (cooked/pickled), tossed with crumbled feta cheese; roasted butternut with cinnamon and butter is great (big butternut fan) - peel, cut into chunks, toss in melted butter and cinnamon and roast at 180C for about an hour; organic wholewheat linguini with either a tomatoe sauce (baby plum tomatoes, garlic, onion, peppers, maybe some red chillies), chopped black olives and rocket (great peppery herb for pasta or salads) added at the end of cooking the sauce or same pasta with steamed crayfish tails (out of the shell) with a cream parmesan sauce (garlic, onion, cream - reduce until thickened the add parmesan) - goes well with just a little tarragon! When making meatballs, add some Greek yogurt, finely grated lemon rind, finely chopped red peppers, fresh basil and onions to your basic ground beef mix, roast them, then when browned and cooked add to the tomatoe sauce (above) - yum!

Great lasangna - make with creamed spinach/feta/onion/garlic and salami (lightly sauteed first) as the filling (instead of ground beef/minced beef), with the same bechamel sauce between layers, topped with mixed cheeses - cheddar, feta etc.

Nenu, my husband is allergic to the 'pink/red' type shellfish - crab, lobster, prawn, crayfish, but he can eat mussels, calamari, oysters etc.

So many ideas, so little space!

Thanks guys.
Last edited by AllyB on Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Al
AllyB
Family Elder

Postby Artifishual » Sat May 10, 2008 5:13 pm

Good ideas there AllyB. The crawfish in the picture were for about 4 people, around forty pounds. On average we cook from 120lbs to 400lbs depending on the size of the party. Lately it has just been around 100 give or take , but we sometimes have huge parties. Both me and my wife have alot of family and she has alot of friends. Me not so many :( .

just kidding i'm friends with everyone I meet :D
Artifishual
Family Elder

Postby Artifishual » Sat May 10, 2008 5:38 pm

Oh BtW Ally Dalton was actually to be born on my birthdaybut my wife couldn't wait. LOL When a woman wants something she has to have it. Joke ladies. I allways tease Greta about that.
Artifishual
Family Elder

Postby Punchy » Sat May 10, 2008 6:47 pm

I was in Texas for the first time this past December and I managed to gain five pounds in the 11 days I was down there.
Punchy
Family Elder

Postby Artifishual » Sat May 10, 2008 7:51 pm

Houston Tx.is in like the top five fatest cities in the US. Not something to be proud of but yeah we know some good food.
Artifishual
Family Elder

Postby AllyB » Sun May 11, 2008 9:28 am

Hey Shannon

You guys sure do know how to eat, and yet your dinner plate in the pic looked normal enough! 10lbs - that must be around 5kgs - per person? If we eat prawns, we generally go for about half a kg per person (about 1lb) - in a restaraunt you would only get about a dozen prawns for a main meal, our half kg works out to be around 30 each (weight is after they have been de-headed)...Crayfish, around two per person, maybe three...Not sure how big those 'crawdaddies' are - our large prawns are about 3 or 4 inches after the head is removed, crayfish about 8 or 10 inches whole, meat is mostly in the tail...

Yeah, we women folk do try to get our own way when it matters - my second son was due on my first son's birthday, but I managed to have him 13 days earlier, so they have different birthdays, just less than 2 years apart - how's that for timing? Not planned either, the youngest was a happy surprise!
My youngest has just turned 5 (oldest just turned 7), so he is the same age as Dalton - they are so gorgeous, and just get better and better - mine are David (oldest) and Michael (youngest). It is such a priviledge to have them - never thought I would, and I thank God every day for it, they have changed my life so much for the better. Funny, I never thought I was particularly maternal before I fell pregnant, but I loved carrying my babies, and I love being a Mom more every day (if that is possible). I am a little sentimental today because it is Mothers Day here too.
Last edited by AllyB on Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Al
AllyB
Family Elder

Scallops vera cruz

Postby Artifishual » Mon May 12, 2008 2:57 pm

Ok , Ally , Lew or anyone willing , here is one I can't wait to try. I thought about posting one of my old favs but thought why not let you guys be the test rats. If you try it let me know how it tastes.

Scallops Vera Cruz

Last night I used shrimp and scallops (the smaller ones) about a pound each, and just put them into the simmering sauce until just cooked through-I also added about 2 cups of white wine to simmer the sauce along with the chicken stock.

Scallops Vera Cruz

Serves 4

Ingredients:
4 Tablespoons butter
1 shallot, finely diced
1 rib celery, finely diced
2 cups chicken stock
1 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes (I prefer the fire roasted)
¼ teaspoon cumin
2 bay leaves
1 (7 oz) can diced green chilies
1 Tablespoon chopped Cilantro
½ cup pimento stuffed green olives, measure then crush in hands
1 dozen large fresh scallops, patted dry
1 Tablespoon olive oil

3-4 cups cooked long grain white rice, cooked according to package directions (keep warm for serving)

Preparation:

Sauce:

Melt butter in large skillet over medium heat. Add shallot and celery, sauté for about 10 minutes until translucent. Add chicken stock, tomatoes, cumin, bay leaves, green chilies, and cilantro and bring to boil. Reduce to simmer. Add crushed olives. Simmer for about 20 minutes on low until slightly reduced and flavors incorporated, stirring occasionally, then taste for salt and pepper. (All chicken stocks and olives have a high salt content, wait for the salt and pepper until sauce is reduced as the saltiness intensifies)

Place scallops in bowl and add the olive oil, turning to coat, season with salt and pepper.
Sear scallops in skillet or grill both sides, about 1 minute each side, transfer to simmering sauce.
Allow scallops to finish cooking in sauce, about 5 minutes. Scallops should not be overcooked, look for them to go from transparent to translucent. Overcooked scallops can be used for hockey pucks or rubber stoppers.

Plating:
Place 1 large scoop rice in center of shallow individual serving dish (a small pasta dish, or shallow soup dish works great)
For a nice presentation use a large ice cream scoop sprayed with non stick spray for the rice.
Place three scallops around rice, then ladle a large spoonful of sauce around the rice onto the scallops.
Garnish with cilantro sprigs.

Cooks Notes: This is my variation of Vera Cruz sauce, light and savory but not hot and pairs well with the sweet scallops. Sauce can be made ahead, refrigerated, then brought up to heat when ready. Any light fish can be seared and finished in the sauce such as White Sea bass, halibut, mahi mahi is great too. Shrimp is most common, but just cook the shrimp in the sauce until done.
You can serve with warm flour tortillas, or bollilo or French rolls, to dip up the sauce.
You can also roast your own chilies, blacken over cast iron or fire, then immediately wrap in damp paper towels and place in bag.
Rub off skins when cooled, cut off top and remove all ribs and seeds. Use pasillos or Anaheim chilies. Remember this sauce is not intended to be spicy hot as it takes away from the sweetness of the scallops.
Artifishual
Family Elder

Next

Return to Daily Life