Swank diet discussion

A board to discuss various diet-centered approaches to treating or controlling Multiple Sclerosis, e.g., the Swank Diet
CuriousRobot
Family Elder

Post by CuriousRobot »

Serious LOL @ "to swank or not to swank."

Thanks for that.
britney
Getting to Know You...

Post by britney »

I was diagnosed with MS 11 years ago, I'm just 23 and sometimes it is hard for me to remember a time without some sort of MS symptom (optic neuritis at 8) but I DO remember the two years I was on the swank diet. I followed it strictly yet I was bed ridden and on more drugs than I could handle. Now, years later, I have found my way to a more individualized lesser known diet among MS patients, the Blood Type Diet. I feel 95% disease free, my friends, family and doctors cannot believe the progress I've made since the simple switch of my diet. I am no longer on any MS drugs. I encourage people to treat their disease with Diet however, I discourage 'one size fits all' diets.

dadamo.com
daverestonvirginia
Family Elder

Post by daverestonvirginia »

1) Based on your personal MS history before and after the implementation of your diet, did you notice a change in your MS. I mean both in existing symptoms, and exacerbation frequency?

I only had one set of symptoms when I first was dx over five years ago. My MRI's have been good, i.e. no changes for the worse. I have been on the Best Bet Diet for five years now plus fish oil and vitamin d. I am also on copaxone (5 years)

2) what type of eating habits did you have when you were Dx'ed with MS and before your dietary changes?

I thought I ate pretty good, but looking back that was not the case. Too many fried foods, too many bad fats in my diet, and lots of dairy. The way I eat now is so much better, no dairy, low fat lots of vegs and fruit.
WinnipegGirl_83
Family Member

Swank Diet

Post by WinnipegGirl_83 »

Is anyone following the Swank Diet? Any thoughts and comments would be appreciated.
zinamaria
Family Elder

swank diet

Post by zinamaria »

Hi Winnie,

You might want to head down to the Diet Forum where all this has and is being discussed. The short answer to your question is 'yes' many follow that diet or a combination of Swank and others.
Good luck!
flautenmusik
Family Member

Post by flautenmusik »

Yes, I follow the Swank Diet. I enjoy the energy that it gives me, and I really believe that getting good foods is imperative for people with MS. It is very simple to follow. I would recommend getting the Swank book.
Longing4Cheese
Family Member

Updated Swank Diet -- absolutely!

Post by Longing4Cheese »

I have been doing a modified/updated version of Dr. Swank's diet since I was diagnosed in 2007, and I highly recommend giving it a serious look. By "updated" I mean that the recipes that form the 2nd half of Dr. Swank's book are very dated (think 1950s cooking...1980s at best), and I prefer a diet full of fresh organic vegetables, and occasional chicken breast (organic free range) or fish (many restrictions on which fish are safe to eat!).

It's not hard to limit your saturated fat intake to 10-15 grams per day...I am usually closer to 10g. Swank's recommended limit was higher. It takes some time to learn about different kinds of fats and how to make sure you're getting enough fat (the right kinds of fat).

One book I HIGHLY recommend is Professor George Jelinek, M.D.'s book, "Taking Control of Multiple Sclerosis: Natural and Medical Therapies to Prevent its Progression." You can find it on Amazon UK -- that's www.amazon.co.uk, I believe. Jelinek, an MD whose mother had MS and who has MS himself, argues persuasively for the efficacy of the Swank diet, and references not only Swank's original research but also research that has been done much more recently that supports findings about the importance of low saturated fat in the diet, and of fish oil/fish supplementation. (If you are vegan, there is a vegan way to get the DHA that is in fish oil.)

And DO read what has been discussed already on this site. I find that this site is the most technically/scientifically savvy of all the sites I have found re MS.
Male, 44, Dx PPMS 6/2007, Re-Dx RRMS 1/2009. Unofficial EDSS: 2-ish. Modified Swank diet, supplements and exercise (walk, yoga, weights). Tried Copaxone 1/09, stopped after possible allergic reaxn 6/09. Began Avonex April 2010.
want2bike
Family Elder

Re: Swank diet discussion

Post by want2bike »

PABCalifornia

Re: Swank Diet

Post by PABCalifornia »

rozo822 wrote:I have a newly diagnosed daughter and am seeking any information. Please let me know your thoughts on the Swank Diet.
I went on the Swank diet one week after being diagnosed at 28 after being so impressed with his success rates having read the whole book in one (very long) sitting for those that were 'diagnosed early and did not deter from the diet.' That quote is my life mantra. I'm now 45 and have had great success with his diet. I supplemented the diet with acupuncture and mercury removal from my teeth, but I give the most credit for my health to Dr Swank. I am also now experiencing complete recovery, it seems, as a patient of the renowned Dr Amir in London.

For more information please see my last post (I'm new to this site so not sure if this link will work/or if this is how you do it): http://www.thisisms.com/forum/chronic-c ... 4-120.html
want2bike
Family Elder

Post by want2bike »

Here is a link that shows the results of low saturated fat diets.

http://www.overcomingmultiplesclerosis. ... gram/Diet/
dc10
Family Elder

Post by dc10 »

Is coconut meat/flesh allowed on the Swank/Jelinek diet?

I've read coconut oil is forbidden due to the high saturated fat, but can't find any comments on other coconut produce like coconut meat/flesh or coconut water?

i know coconut meat is high in sat fats so assume it isn't allowed?
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

you need sat fats. it's just not good to OVERdo.
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Post by lyndacarol »

dc10 wrote:Is coconut meat/flesh allowed on the Swank/Jelinek diet?

I've read coconut oil is forbidden due to the high saturated fat, but can't find any comments on other coconut produce like coconut meat/flesh or coconut water?

i know coconut meat is high in sat fats so assume it isn't allowed?
The fat in coconut oil is a medium-length chain saturated fat and is readily used by the body as an energy source. I would assume the fat in coconut meat is the same.

Most doctors are now recommending the use of coconut oil in the diet. The fats you ABSOLUTELY want to avoid are the trans fats. If not listed as "trans fats," these are listed in the ingredients as "partially hydrogenated fats"– AVOID, AVOID, AVOID these.
My hypothesis: excess insulin (hyperinsulinemia) plays a major role in MS, as developed in my initial post: http://www.thisisms.com/forum/general-discussion-f1/topic1878.html "Insulin – Could This Be the Key?"
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

absolutely, hydrogenated = BAD
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

What if Bad Fat is Actually Good for You?
For decades, Americans have been told that saturated fat clogs arteries and causes heart disease. But there's just one problem: No one's ever proved it http://www.menshealth.com/health/saturated-fat