dairy

A board to discuss various diet-centered approaches to treating or controlling Multiple Sclerosis, e.g., the Swank Diet

dairy

Postby sbr487 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:05 am

I have read articles that suggest avoiding dairy products for MSers. I am heavily addicted to Tea & consume around 7-8 cups. And unlike in western countries, Indian tea tends to contain good amount of milk. So I would like to know from people what has been their personal experience on dairy products. Does it help?

Thank you ...
A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it
- Max Planck
sbr487
Family Elder

Advertisement

Postby daverestonvirginia » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:59 am

I have been dairy free for five years now also MS symptom free are the two related, who knows? I follow the Best Bet Diet and take copaxone.
daverestonvirginia
Family Elder

Postby sieren » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:22 pm

I pretty much avoid dairy as well, except for once and awhile some really good quality stuff (grassfed, cultured). Dairy is known to cause some autoimmune issues (the casien protien). I used to be SUPER addicted to dairy products, and from my research it looks like that is a major sign you should avoid them.
sieren

Postby jimmylegs » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:06 am

as a strict vegan i avoided dairy for 15 years right up to my diagnosis. because of that i have tended to be suspicious of certain aspects of ms diets.

since dx i went back to eating fish, poultry, red meat, eggs and dairy, all in limited amounts making sure to include a wide variety of vegetables especially dark leafy greens.

as for current milk/cream intake, i take a little in tea or coffee. 2-3 cups per day max, usually. i also eat limited amounts of cheese.

you could consider an approach where you balance inflammatory vs anti-inflammatory foods.

if you click this link
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/dai ... ducts/71/2

you can see that a cup of 2% milk is mildly inflammatory with an IF of -71. so 8 cups of milk would be in the neighbourhood of IF= -580.

next, if you follow this link to info on a cup of boiled spinach with salt (i was thinking of saag),
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/veg ... cts/2926/2
that is strongly anti-inflammatory with an IF of +466!

so it looks to me like a cup serving of spinach a day could cover off 6 cups of milk anyway. what do you think? how much actual milk do you put in your tea? half a cup?

of course it's not enough to just look at milk and spinach :) you have to go through the daily diet and figure out if you're balanced or not, and how much change you have to make to get back into the anti-inflammatory side of things.

hope that helps!

jimmylegs
my approach: no meds so far - just nutrient-dense anti-inflammatory whole foods, and supplements where needed
info: www.whfoods.com, www.nutritiondata.com
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Return to Diet