Wahls diet discussion

A board to discuss various diet-centered approaches to treating or controlling Multiple Sclerosis, e.g., the Swank Diet
terrywahls

Re: Wahls diet discussion

Post by terrywahls »

If you would like to understand the Wahls Diet - listen to the TEDx lecture. It'll be the best 17 minutes you spend on yourself.
Look for MINDING YOUR MITOCHONDRIA - TEDX Iowa City

lyndacarol
Family Elder

Post by lyndacarol »

desmalia-- You may find this interesting (since you wrote: " My friend's husband has Alzheimer's so I'm always on the lookout for anything that might be helpful for them too."):

http://www.cbn.com/media/player/index.a ... JO190v1_WS

SaraG has posted about using coconut oil herself. She finds that she feels better when consuming fats. Another similarity with Alzheimer's? Can it be that we have been duped by "experts" who have told us that fats are bad for us? Trans-fats, YES; but maybe not all the rest.

According to Gary Taubes in his book, Good Calories Bad Calories, the macronutrients, protein and fats, are necessary for healthy human life; CARBS are not necessary.
savouryourlife
Family Member

Post by savouryourlife »

We [ms support group-vaughan] will be starting the diet April 9,2012 for 3 months. If anyone is interested in joining us, please connect with me.

If anyone has recipes they would like to share... please do!!
Feb 18, 2010 Eco-Doppler Vaughan, MRV Frankfurt, left INT Jugular valve problem x2, RRMS since 1996, Angioplasty in Frankfurt March 10/10<div>Inclined bed therapy - 09/09/10</div>
mrbarlow
Family Elder

Post by mrbarlow »

Whats the view on eggs? I would have thought eggs were an obvious inclusion in the Paleo diet as they would have been a relatively easy and safe source of protein 10,000 years ago (compared to spearing a Woolly Mamoth :lol: )
stillfighting
Family Elder

Post by stillfighting »

Will you all be doing brown Rice, the eggs is something I would love to know too? I love eggs. They are a good source of protein.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

i eat eggs all the time, yum! yes they're pro-inflammatory (which is i gather why some recommend avoidance) but there are loads of anti-inflammatory foods and it's all about balance imho (and a few others')
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
stillfighting
Family Elder

Post by stillfighting »

I love the vegan route, but the pinto bean is suppose to be so bad. I could eat that one every day..
on the corn chip. With Jalapeño
mrbarlow
Family Elder

Post by mrbarlow »

jimmylegs wrote:i eat eggs all the time, yum! yes they're pro-inflammatory (which is i gather why some recommend avoidance) but there are loads of anti-inflammatory foods and it's all about balance imho (and a few others')

Thanks JL.

My consumption is modest - one omelette a week with 3 free range eggs plus lots of chopped brocoli, kale, onion, and tomato
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

ha, you sound like me except i'm a little more eggy usually, and even more of late.

today i sauteed 1 onion diced, and let's say 2oz frozen spinach, plus one crimini mushroom diced, topped with two beaten eggs (no milk) and a very little bit of cheese, and it was delish!

i had almost the same yesterday except with a slice of kielbassa minced into it, and there were leftover potatoes and cabbage from the previous night's dinner, so i used a little of the onion and sausage to make a sort of bubble and squeak thing on the side. yuuum!

some time last week i switched up and had it for dinner instead, with a side salad, sort of a crustless quiche - awesome!

i have this breakfast usually when i'm home for the day and over the last couple months that has been rather often :S hehehe!

working tomorrow and sunday, plus heading out early on monday but not for work, so the eggy start to the day will be off the menu until next week some time. long enough for me to look forward to it again :D
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
ragstodishes

Post by ragstodishes »

Because I am a type-A Virgo, Dr. Wahls' approach to MS and diet appealed to me. I'm poor as dirt but have been doing what I can to follow her advice... I was already eliminating most animal products and feeling a benefit (watch "Forks Over Knives") but when I started adding more of the specific produce Dr. Wahls recommends I began feeling an even greater boost!

------------------------------------------------------------------
http://ragstodishes.wordpress.com
savouryourlife
Family Member

Post by savouryourlife »

Great! You are the person we need to speak to. So can you give some examples of foods/meals you prepare? How about raw versus cooked? juicing? shakes and smoothies? How did you commence?
Feb 18, 2010 Eco-Doppler Vaughan, MRV Frankfurt, left INT Jugular valve problem x2, RRMS since 1996, Angioplasty in Frankfurt March 10/10<div>Inclined bed therapy - 09/09/10</div>
mrbarlow
Family Elder

Post by mrbarlow »

ragstodishes wrote:Because I am a type-A Virgo, Dr. Wahls' approach to MS and diet appealed to me. I'm poor as dirt but have been doing what I can to follow her advice... I was already eliminating most animal products and feeling a benefit (watch "Forks Over Knives") but when I started adding more of the specific produce Dr. Wahls recommends I began feeling an even greater boost!

------------------------------------------------------------------
http://ragstodishes.wordpress.com

Kale is really easy to grow in flower beds and tubs and is a major component of the Wahls diet. Assuming you live in a temperate climaye a modest garden could provide a year round supply of Kale.
stillfighting
Family Elder

Post by stillfighting »

I don't have any fancy juicer. I got a cheap one yrs ago I got some carrots. I can't get all organic. I am going to stop JUNK.. Start small.. go from there. I can't do the fancy supplements, that is too expensive..
I will do what I can..
She compares the cost of the DMD's to the food. ( not fair) Insurance won't cover food!
I can't say she impresses me. If the diet's NOT really her's works.. then the diets impress me..
mrbarlow
Family Elder

Post by mrbarlow »

On the issue of growing foods yourself even if you can't do it yourself there is always the possibility of land sharing if you have a garden. What you do is you allow someone else to cultivate your land in exchange for a percentage of the produce.

Here is a UK example thats resaonbaly successful with 1000's members

http://www.landshare.net/

I know this wouldn't suit everyone but it is one way of utilising land for mutual benefit and getting some of those special foods (kale, cabbage, greens, onions, etc) without having to pay through the nose at the Supermarket.
dkep11
Family Member

Post by dkep11 »

The Last (see below) Wahls MS Diet 10 month update

MS has been hammering me since 1998 and nothing seems to slow it down. On 4/20/2011 I finally decided to go 100% on the Wahls diet. This is my 10-month report.

Dr Wahls' story is compelling. (see www.terrywahls.org) In 2007 she wasn't too far physically from where I am today. She changed her diet and by 2008 she could walk and ride her bike! That will get the complete attention of someone like me!

(she did other things in addition to diet changes, like eletronic muscle stimulation, meditation - but she thinks diet played the primary role in her recovery)

(and she was never as bad as I am now)

My version of the Wahls diet:

Lots of veggies, esp. sulfur-rich and leafy greens and bright colors.

Small amount of fruit, some grain (but no gluten!)(I do quinoa and rice), small amounts of meat (chicken, turkey, or seafood)(I avoid beef and pork).

ZERO gluten, dairy, sugar, yeast, legumes, red meat, processed food. I think the first 2 on this list are the important ones, and #3 (sugar) isn't far behind.

Low starch; I do eat some grapes or blueberries or corn on occasion. But never a potato or potato chips.

On month 3 I began including a commercial daily green drink; we use Green Magma.

Wahls is sort of the Swank diet (the first recommended MS diet) of today, except I'd say it trades an emphasis on low-fat for an emphasis on veggies.

Wahls = Paleo-diet + anti-inflamatory diet + extra veggies.

I started on this 100% on 4/20... Before, I was 90% on the diet - it isn't far from how I ate normally... but if you walked in with a pizza before 4/20/11 and offered me a slice, I'd have one. Today - no thanks.

For me, the hardest things to totally give up were pizza, bacon, and cheese. Pretty much everything else was EZ; I don't have a sweet tooth. In the old days, I'd eat sweets occasionally but I never crave them.

My wonderful wife Janelle is on board with the diet (she ought to be; she found it and directed me to it!) and the food prep - out of necessity; I can't do it.

VVV new stuff VVV

Still sticking 98% (see below ) to the diet as defined above.

* On 1/23, after 6 days of being unable to stand, I did a 30 sec today - not great, but > 0. We were passing a cold bug around the family, and my insides weren't quite happy...

* 1/25, feel strong today. Stands 75/20, then 1 hr later, 55. 1st day ever with 2 stands over 50.

* We just realized I'm making a mistake with the diet... I go into the local hospice for 5 days per month of respite care & while I'm there there's a small menu I select my meals from... well, one of the things they offer is "gluten-free bread" & in my head I went right from "gluten-free" to "it's OK on this diet" - without stopping to think that the bread contains other things I'm avoiding like yeast and sugar... I've had 2 pieces a day for each of my 5-day respite stays; a small mistake, but I can no longer claim 100% adherence to this diet. Dissappointing.

But it is still true that for 10 monthes I've had zero gluten/dairy/legumes/red meat/processed food.

Nonetheless, this resets our "Wahls clock" to 0 every time (& I just got back). Neither of us wants to start the clock over - Janelle does a lot of work in keeping me on the diet, so at this point, the Wahls experiment is over, tho I'll certainly continue eating healthy.

I'll continue with no gluten/no dairy/low sugar & we'll see what happens next. I have more experiments to try... and I wasn't going gluten-free before.

* Just for fun, I had my cholesterol tested. Total non-fasting cholesterol: 100. Nice! I knew it would be a good score; I was in the 140s *before* starting this diet; I wanted to see how low it had dropped. Is it so wrong to get a test for smack-talking purposes? 8)

* An observtion: When you're able-bodied, you take it for granted. When you're not, you think of little else!