Wahls diet discussion

A board to discuss various diet-centered approaches to treating or controlling Multiple Sclerosis, e.g., the Swank Diet
ElliotB
Family Elder

Re: Wahls diet discussion

Post by ElliotB »

I just got the results back from the blood work I had done last week, and my numbers look great once again. I have been doing blood work every three months since starting The Real Diet of Man diet mid last year. Most interestingly was my cholesterol level, which has dropped a bit once again. While it is still slightly high, it was extremely high not too long ago, high enough to require medication. Based on the high meat/high good fat diet I am on and what most 'experts' tell us about the consumption of meat and fat and cholesterol, my cholesterol should be off the charts. Based on all the MS diets, I should be having relapses on a daily basis. I have now been on The Real diet of Man high fat diet (only grass fed meats) for almost 9 months and am positively amazed at the results and optimistic about my MS future.
metabolic
Getting to Know You...

Post by metabolic »

Hi ElliotB that looks like a pure whole foods diet, very positive. It's pretty much what I'm doing, but I eat quite a lot of fruit (berries and oranges), a little rice and sweet potato. I get most of my glycogen from fruits. I go easy on the starch due to persorption: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8415433
One thing I discovered recently is that if you have orange juice, it's best to squeeze yourself or buy organic - cholinesterase inhibitors and organophosphates are used which are neurotoxins. http://livingglutenandgrainfree.com/201 ... -100-pure/
What's your thyroid like?
Multivitamin
MitoQ
Calcium Citrate
R-Lipoic Acid
Zinc Glycinate
Mixed Magnesium chelates
5000I D3
Acetyl-l-carnitine
Taurine
Creatine
Vitamin C Ascorbic Acid
Vitamin B Complex
Gelatin/Collagen
Lamb liver every week
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

No thyroid issues. Feeling great. And still improving.

metabolic, how are you doing?
metabolic
Getting to Know You...

Post by metabolic »

I'm doing well, but just can't seem to crack this sleep thing, which impacts me negatively. Whenever I sleep well, I feel great. I suspect it's work stress as I have a very supportive family and am happy in that regard. I've tried various adaptogens and think ashwaghanda works a little for me, but the effect is very subtle. Time for some meditation :)
Multivitamin
MitoQ
Calcium Citrate
R-Lipoic Acid
Zinc Glycinate
Mixed Magnesium chelates
5000I D3
Acetyl-l-carnitine
Taurine
Creatine
Vitamin C Ascorbic Acid
Vitamin B Complex
Gelatin/Collagen
Lamb liver every week
vesta
Family Elder

Post by vesta »

Matt is Ashton Embry's (founder of Direct-MS) son. Matt was diagnosed with MS 20 years ago. He's not selling anything....just offering some hope and healing.
Kudos to Matt for going public with his MS diagnosis and sharing this important information.
He's a film maker...so these videos are really well done.

http://www.mshope.com

cheer"

cheerleader posted this on Jan, 17, 2015 and I think it's a good basic guide for starters. Vesta
Kpgal

Post by Kpgal »

Anyone start Wahls and feel cruddy for the first week or two, then start to feel the benefits?
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

Any benefits (or issues) from the Wahls protocol or any other would occur over a longer period of time rather than a few days or a week or two.
husamsdu

Post by husamsdu »

I used to do Wahls diet and i was walking very well. Now I don't do this diet and I have spasticity in my legs :( I will try CCSVI and returnt to Wahls protocol.
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Post by lyndacarol »

Interesting…

Dr. Terry Wahls' Protocol That Reversed Multiple Sclerosis (20 min.)

Rhonda Patrick, PhD, interviews Dr. Terry Wahls

Published trial results: J Altern Complement Med. 2014 May; 20(5): 347-55.
A multimodal intervention for patients with secondary progressive multiple sclerosis: feasibility and effect on fatigue.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24476345
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

lyndacarol wrote:Published trial results: J Altern Complement Med. 2014 May; 20(5): 347-55.
A multimodal intervention for patients with secondary progressive multiple sclerosis: feasibility and effect on fatigue.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24476345
The full text of this paper can be found at http://online.liebertpub.com/doi/pdf/10 ... .2013.0188
orphansparrow
Family Member

Post by orphansparrow »

ElliotB wrote:I just got the results back from the blood work I had done last week, and my numbers look great once again. I have been doing blood work every three months since starting The Real Diet of Man diet mid last year. Most interestingly was my cholesterol level, which has dropped a bit once again. While it is still slightly high, it was extremely high not too long ago, high enough to require medication. Based on the high meat/high good fat diet I am on and what most 'experts' tell us about the consumption of meat and fat and cholesterol, my cholesterol should be off the charts. Based on all the MS diets, I should be having relapses on a daily basis. I have now been on The Real diet of Man high fat diet (only grass fed meats) for almost 9 months and am positively amazed at the results and optimistic about my MS future.
Hi Elliot. The Real Diet of Man looks a lot like Wahls, is that right? My husband and I have started Wahls Paleo Plus diet since he was diagnosed last week. (We're coming from a high carb, vegan diet including lots of vegan junk foods). We're going to do Wahls Paleo Plus all the way - until we feel like maybe something else would work better. I wondered what the blood tests tell you concerning MS. Is there something we should look at in the future in his blood tests? I figured the MRIs would be the thing to look at. I'm glad you're doing well! Thank you so much.
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Post by lyndacarol »

orphansparrow wrote:My husband and I have started Wahls Paleo Plus diet since he was diagnosed last week. (We're coming from a high carb, vegan diet including lots of vegan junk foods). We're going to do Wahls Paleo Plus all the way - until we feel like maybe something else would work better. I wondered what the blood tests tell you concerning MS. Is there something we should look at in the future in I figured the MRIs would be the thing to look at.
Since vitamin B12 is only found in animal-based foods, vegans are often B12 deficient (as you probably know).

I hope your husband's doctor has been monitoring his B12 level because vitamin B12 deficiency can cause neurological symptoms like those found in MS.
orphansparrow
Family Member

Post by orphansparrow »

lyndacarol wrote:
orphansparrow wrote:My husband and I have started Wahls Paleo Plus diet since he was diagnosed last week. (We're coming from a high carb, vegan diet including lots of vegan junk foods). We're going to do Wahls Paleo Plus all the way - until we feel like maybe something else would work better. I wondered what the blood tests tell you concerning MS. Is there something we should look at in the future in I figured the MRIs would be the thing to look at.
Since vitamin B12 is only found in animal-based foods, vegans are often B12 deficient (as you probably know).

I hope your husband's doctor has been monitoring his B12 level because vitamin B12 deficiency can cause neurological symptoms like those found in MS.

Hi Lyndacarol ~ We just got our first blood tests done yesterday. They didn't think his being vegan would be an issue seeing as that he had only been for about 6 months, and before that was a big meat eater. The point is, he has always eaten a ton of carbs and sugar as well, so now we've totally cut that out, and started eating meat. Amazing what a diagnosis will do for your diet!