Wahls diet discussion

A board to discuss various diet-centered approaches to treating or controlling Multiple Sclerosis, e.g., the Swank Diet
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

bump
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
Lainie
Family Member

Post by Lainie »

Dave,

Thank you for posting this - it is good to hear from someone doing it, as I recently heard about the Wahls diet and am going to try it.

So what do you notice about your symptoms or progression on day 80 as opposed to day 1?
dkep11
Family Member

Post by dkep11 »

Sorry for the delay; i was out for a few days.

I have a bit less MSfatigue, but no real physical changes. I'm still sticking 100% to the diet as described above.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

bump @ selmahope
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
dkep11
Family Member

Wahls diet 4 month update

Post by dkep11 »

The Continuing Adventures Of Dave The Intrepid Gastronaut; MS Diet 4 month update

MS has been hammering me since 1998 and nothing seems to slow it down. On 4/20/2011 I finally decided to go 100% on the Wahls diet. This is my 4-month report.

Dr Wahls' story is compelling. (see www.terrywahls.org) In 2007 she wasn't too far physically from where I am today. She changed her diet and by 2008 she could walk and ride her bike! That will get the complete attention of someone like me!

(she did other things in addition to diet changes, like eletronic muscle stimulation, meditation - but she thinks diet played the primary role in her recovery)

(and, she was never as bad as I am now)

My version of the Wahls diet:

Lots of veggies, esp. sulfur-rich and leafy greens and bright colors.

Small amount of fruit, some grain (but no gluten!)(I do quinoa and rice),

small amounts of meat (chicken, turkey, or seafood)(I avoid beef and pork).

ZERO gluten, dairy, sugar, yeast, legumes, red meat, processed food. I think the first 2 on this list are the important ones, and #3 (sugar) isn't far behind.

Low starch; I do eat half a banana or some corn on occasion. But never a potato or potato chips.

On day 62 I began including a commercial daily green drink; we use Green Magma.

Wahls is sort of the Swank diet (the first recommended MS diet) of today, except I'd say it trades an emphasis on low-fat for an emphasis on veggies.

Wahls = Paleo-diet + anti-inflamatory diet + extra veggies.

I started on this 100% on 4/20... Before, I was 90% on the diet - it isn't far from how I ate normally... but if you walked in with a pizza before 4/20 and offered me a slice, I'd have one. Today - no thanks.

For me, the hardest things to totally give up were pizza, bacon, and cheese. Pretty much everything else was EZ; I don't have a sweet tooth. In the old
days, I'd eat sweets occasionally but I never crave them.

My wonderful wife Janelle is on board with the diet (she ought to be; she found it and directed me to it!) and the food prep - out of necessity; I can't do it.

VVV new stuff VVV

OK, let's keep it short and sweet: I have a bit less MSfatigue, but no real physical changes. I'm still sticking 100% to the diet as described above.

Everyone in my shoes would want to know, when have other people seen an effect?

Short answer: 6-12 months, IF there is an effect at all. Many people have reported this, even going back to the original work of Dr. Swank.

I'm now thinking I'll stay on the protocol 'til my next Birthday, in May of 2012, even if I see no effect.

Call it 5/20/2012. 13 months - a fair shot.

If I I do see an effect, I'm on it for life.

If I see no effect, on 5/21/12 I'm eating a bacon cheeseburger and vanilla milkshake!

I am trying to get my blood test done for a standard screening; my cholesterol should be great! It was in the 140s (pretty good) before this eating protocol... it should be terrific now. When I get the number I'll include it here.

-Gastronaut Dave, over and out
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

hi there, would you mind reposting this in the wahls diet sticky?

that would keep your post from getting buried later on, making it easier for people interested in dr wahls' approach to find your message in the future.
dkep11
Family Member

Post by dkep11 »

ahh, sure, sorry
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

no need to apologize :) just thinkin ahead
dkep11
Family Member

Wahls diet, 4 mon. update

Post by dkep11 »

The Continuing Adventures Of Dave The Intrepid Gastronaut; MS Diet 4 month update

MS has been hammering me since 1998 and nothing seems to slow it down. On 4/20/2011 I finally decided to go 100% on the Wahls diet. This is my 4-month report.

Dr Wahls' sto\ry is compelling. (see www.terrywahls.org) In 2007 she wasn't too far physically from where I am today. She changed her diet and by 2008 she could walk and ride her bike! That will get the complete attention of someone like me!

(she did other things in addition to diet changes, like eletronic muscle stimulation, meditation - but she thinks diet played the primary role in her recovery)

(and, she was never as bad as I am now)

My version of the Wahls diet:

Lots of veggies, esp. sulfur-rich and leafy greens and bright colors.

Small amount of fruit, some grain (but no gluten!)(I do quinoa and rice),

small amounts of meat (chicken, turkey, or seafood)(I avoid beef and pork).

ZERO gluten, dairy, sugar, yeast, legumes, red meat, processed food. I think the first 2 on this list are the important ones, and #3 (sugar) isn't far behind.

Low starch; I do eat half a banana or some corn on occasion. But never a potato or potato chips.

On day 62 I began including a commercial daily green drink; we use Green Magma.

Wahls is sort of the Swank diet (the first recommended MS diet) of today, except I'd say it trades an emphasis on low-fat for an emphasis on veggies.

Wahls = Paleo-diet + anti-inflamatory diet + extra veggies.

I started on this 100% on 4/20... Before, I was 90% on the diet - it isn't far from how I ate normally... but if you walked in with a pizza before 4/20 and offered me a slice, I'd have one. Today - no thanks.

For me, the hardest things to totally give up were pizza, bacon, and cheese. Pretty much everything else was EZ; I don't have a sweet tooth. In the old days, I'd eat sweets occasionally but I never crave them.

My wonderful wife Janelle is on board with the diet (she ought to be; she found it and directed me to it!) and the food prep - out of necessity; I can't do it.

VVV new stuff VVV

OK, let's keep it short and sweet: I have a bit less MSfatigue, but no real physical changes. I'm still sticking 100% to the diet as described above.

Everyone in my shoes would want to know, when have other people seen an effect?

Short answer: 6-12 months, IF there is an effect at all. Many people have reported this, even going back to the original work of Dr. Swank.

I'm now thinking I'll stay on the protocol 'til my next Birthday, in May of 2012, even if I see no effect.

Call it 5/20/2012. 13 months - a fair shot.

If I I do see an effect, I'm on it for life.

If I see no effect, on 5/21/12 I'm eating a bacon cheeseburger and vanilla milkshake!

I am trying to get my blood test done for a standard screening; my cholesterol should be great! It was in the 140s (pretty good) before this eating protocol... it should be terrific now. When I get the number I'll include it here.

-Gastronaut Dave, over and out
----------------
jv

Post by jv »

Dave, do you eat liver (as recommended by Wahls)? Calf's liver is supposed to be the most beneficial. Also have you tried sweet potato ? It's better then regular (not a nightshade plant), and possibly better than corn, rice and quinoa. I think Wahls doesn't eat grains at all, but she eats a lot of avocado, walnuts, nutritional yeast (different from baker's and brewer's), mushrooms and algae.
Good luck with the diet!
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

i eat sweet potato ALL THE TIME :) except not right this second hehe
maynaka
Family Elder

Post by maynaka »

Dave,

Do you follow Terry Wahls on Facebook?

She gives out a lot of recipes, answers questions, etc. There is a thread going on now about the kind of improvements people are getting from the program. Very interesting.

M
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Post by lyndacarol »

Dave – You mention eating a "small amount of fruit", and later, "half a banana on occasion"; these contain carbohydrates, specifically fructose, which is metabolized mostly in the liver. I find that I am especially sensitive to carbohydrates, including fruit; I urge you to keep it "a small amount" as I find I must.
dkep11
Family Member

organ meat

Post by dkep11 »

I currently don't eat any organ meats, tho I've seen Dr. Wahls recommend them too.
dkep11
Family Member

dr W on Facebook

Post by dkep11 »

yes, I follow her on Facebook. Lots of tips, recipes, inspiration; I'd recommend anyone interested in the Wahls diet do so!