Best Bet Diet

A board to discuss various diet-centered approaches to treating or controlling Multiple Sclerosis, e.g., the Swank Diet
Chrissygizzy

Best Bet Diet

Post by Chrissygizzy »

Is anyone on the Best Bet Diet and if so, why no eggs? Also, I see the Medi fast diet advertised a lot. Has anyone tried that?
daverestonvirginia
Family Elder

Re: Best Bet Diet

Post by daverestonvirginia »

I have been on the best bet diet for about 6 years. I have not avoided eggs, but I did have an ELISA test early on to see if I was allergic to any other foods and I was not allergic to eggs. Eggs in general can cause a lot of people allergic problems. But, the BBD does not in general not allow eggs. I do not know much about the Medi diet. Going on the best bet diet is not geared to losing weight although I did lose some when I went on it. I am doing very well with almost no MS symptoms.
Jimpsull
Family Elder

Post by Jimpsull »

Eggs have 5 grams of sat fat (if you eat the yolk). That's 1/3 of the daily allowance in one egg. I boil them and toss the yolks when I eat eggs.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

personally I eat them up yolks and all :) but i've done the math and the rest of my food intake is just not very significant in the sat fat department.
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
grandsons4
Family Member

Post by grandsons4 »

Jimpsull: Outside of some protein, there's little nutrition in egg white. In addition (the following is assembled from 2 sources); Biotin is an important component of enzymes in the body that break down certain substances like fats, carbohydrates, and others. Raw egg white contains a substance called avidin that binds biotin in the intestine and keeps it from being absorbed. Eating 2 or more uncooked egg whites daily for several months has caused biotin deficiency that is serious enough to produce symptoms. Cooking the whites can deactivate the avidin, but also deactivate a lot of the protein in the whites. The nutrition's in the yolk.
Jimpsull
Family Elder

Post by Jimpsull »

I don't eat many eggs. When I do, they're hard boiled with yolk removed. Swank diet does allow 3 eggs (including yolk) per week, however I generally avoid the yolks. I don't like counting so I stay way under 15 g sat fat per day to avoid the risk of carelessness taking me over 15.
grandsons4
Family Member

Post by grandsons4 »

I go the other way: 3 extra large eggs/day.