War on Health Documentary

A board to discuss various diet-centered approaches to treating or controlling Multiple Sclerosis, e.g., the Swank Diet

War on Health Documentary

Postby jimmylegs » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:48 pm

ouch.

Gary Null's documentary exposing the FDA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0CQrL5nzwo
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Advertisement

Re: War on Health Documentary

Postby jimmylegs » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:40 pm

@30m56s "Let's talk about the cherry growers.. the group of cherry growers had a web site, and on that web site there was a link. It was to Harvard's web site and their research on the benefits of cherries, in terms of treating gout I believe. So FDA looked at that web site, there were no health claims on that web site, but it linked to another web site that discussed scientific peer-reviewed research, and FDA determined that that was sufficient to be making an illegal health claim. FDA went after the cherry growers, literally with guns blazing, knocked down their doors, forced them to sign a consent decree, and agree never to share any information about the benefits of cherries again, at the risk of all sorts of legal proceedings, and essentially the loss of their company."
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:40 pm

"so what has happened over the last several decades is that the pharmaceutical industry in particular has become the number 1 cause of disease and death in america by poisoning people, essentially, with its toxic chemicals.. by weakening people's immune systems and weakening their liver, weakening their neurological functions so that they become future revenue generating patients." wish these statements were referenced, it would be interesting to see pharma fatality stats..
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:50 pm

"Statin drugs have been approved despite the fact that at the time the FDA convened its medical panel, review panel on the statin drugs.. at first refused to approve the drug/ well the unfortunate reality of the drugs is that they block production of an essential energy enzyme, CoQ10 which can lead to heart failure. so here we have again a situation where a drug has been approved to lower your risk of heart abnormalities, that in the end can contribute to heart fatalities"
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:50 am

you need to watch this vid. spend the 97 mins. :)
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:19 am

re the above, i visited the FDA web site to get warning letter details

http://www.fda.gov/food/complianceenfor ... 081724.htm

excerpt from one letter:

Under the Act, articles intended for use in the diagnosis, cure, mitigation, treatment or prevention of disease in man are drugs [Section 201(g)(1)(B) of.the Act, 21 USC 321(g)(1)(B)]. The labeling for your cherry products on your web site bears the following claims :

[under. the heading "Health Benefits of Cherries"]
"[C]herries may have-the potential to:

relieve arthritis pain and inflammation . . .
inhibit the growth of certain cancers"
[L]ab tests show that the anthocyanins in red tart cherries give 10 times the anti-inflammatory relief of aspirin, without irritating the stomach."

Your website also includes claims in the form of testimonials . An example is as follows:

"For several years I suffered from gout. Doctors tried many different medications . . . but no relief. I ordered my'first cherries from you . . . . Within two weeks I was completely pain free."

This list of claims is not intended to be all-inclusive, but represents the types of claims found in your product labeling.

These claims cause your products to be drugs, as defined in section 201(g)(1)(B) of the Act [21 USC 321(g)(1)(B)].

yay definitions. anyone else reminded of normal range issues??

at least (so far) one can legitimately broadcast study findings and benefits of foods rich in micronutrients, so long as one is not selling the foods in question.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Return to Diet